Everything Derozan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• planetmars wrote: View Post
    The Raptors perimeter defense is awful but DD has actually been pretty decent this year in relation. GV is Bargnani bad. Lou is awful. Ross has regressed. Lowry is better then DD but I wouldn't say by much.

DD has his problems, but his defense is not something I'm upset by.
    I agree with you, but I think I've only started agreeing with the bolded part as a result of developing complete apathy for Raptors "defense" altogether. Evaluating DeRozan's (or anybody else's) individual defensive ability/effort is like a teacher picking up a stack of F papers and trying to determine who the 'good' students are. Aside from JJ & JV's man defense (and JJ's help defense when his head is in the game), the Raptors have been a train-wreck defensively most of the season; and I continue watching in the I-can't-help-myself-from-rubber-necking kind of way.

Comment

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
      I agree with you, but I think I've only started agreeing with the bolded part as a result of developing complete apathy for Raptors "defense" altogether. Evaluating DeRozan's (or anybody else's) individual defensive ability/effort is like a teacher picking up a stack of F papers and trying to determine who the 'good' students are. Aside from JJ & JV's man defense (and JJ's help defense when his head is in the game), the Raptors have been a train-wreck defensively most of the season; and I continue watching in the I-can't-help-myself-from-rubber-necking kind of way.
      I had a reply done up earlier about being an average defender on a team that is 25th in the league on defense but I didn't bother posting.

The teacher analogy is similar train of thought.

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
        This was never a DeRozan vs Wiggins discussion. I was just using that game as an example of how DD's D has improved over the year. I'm also waiting on a stat that shows DD as being a negative on D.
        Flip side is: find a stat that shows DD isn't a negative on D.
        "Stop eating your sushi."
        "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
        "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
        - Jack Armstrong

Comment

• If you want to see the impact DD has on defense, watch only him every time we are defending the fast break. He never stops the ball (always points for a teammate to do it), never bumps the big guy coming down the lane, never closes hard on perimeter shooters.

The guy is useless

Comment

• JimiCliff wrote: View Post
            Flip side is: find a stat that shows DD isn't a negative on D.
            He's a negative in DRPM, -0.12.

Comment

• Mindlessness wrote: View Post
              He's a negative in DRPM, -0.12.
              That's the best one to use.

But on top of that, in terms of man defence, his individual defensive rating is 4th worst among the regulars (only Lou, GV and Ross are worse - geez, how bad is our perimeter D?).

His opponent FG% from anywhere on the court is between average and terrible. Overall he gives up 2% better shooting than his opponents usually shoot, including about 6% better than usual anywhere inside 10 feet - so he lets opponents get to the rim and get easy buckets a lot.
              twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Demar is ranked 33rd among 100 SGs listed according to ESPN, and has a higher DRPM than Jimmy Butler, Russell Westbrook, Kyrie Irving, and miles ahead of guys like Rudy Gay and Carmelo Anthony; and is just barely behind Klay Thompson.

He's not All-NBA anything, but the guy isn't nearly as bad as people make him out to be around here, on either end of the floor.

Comment

• Joey wrote: View Post
                  Demar is ranked 33rd among 100 SGs listed according to ESPN, and has a higher DRPM than Jimmy Butler, Russell Westbrook, Kyrie Irving, and miles ahead of guys like Rudy Gay and Carmelo Anthony; and is just barely behind Klay Thompson.

He's not All-NBA anything, but the guy isn't nearly as bad as people make him out to be around here, on either end of the floor.
                  The problem here is that the few have made "Demar Hating" so personal to them that no logic can help them see past their points.

We don't know who the coach is going to be. We don't know what style of play this team will have. We don't have a reliable SG. We have ton of holes ( SF,PF) in this team as it is but the HATERS, want to trade DD, one of the two All Stars of the team, ASAP

You got to love this hate because it is purely illogical now.

Comment

• Well I'd rather people didn't use the words "Haters", "Dick Riders" (as I've just seen now, again, ugh.), or anything else. Its silly and grade schoolish.

Comment

Demar is ranked 33rd among 100 SGs listed according to ESPN, and has a higher DRPM than Jimmy Butler, Russell Westbrook, Kyrie Irving, and miles ahead of guys like Rudy Gay and Carmelo Anthony; and is just barely behind Klay Thompson.

I was going to mention DRPM has its problems myself.

Nobody said DRPM was perfect, it's simply the best we have at measuring defensive impact. I mean, are you sure Butler, Westbrook, and Thompson are worse/slightly better than DeMar at defense. I certainly believe not.

EDIT: But in general, I think DRPM nails it in general, but it seems guards aren't well measured. Beverley, Westbrook, Conley, Butler, Afflalo, and Oladipo are apparently worse than DeRozan at defense. It seems to do better in the frontcourt.
                      Last edited by Mindlessness; Mon Mar 23, 2015, 07:37 PM.

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                        That's the best one to use.

But on top of that, in terms of man defence, his individual defensive rating is 4th worst among the regulars (only Lou, GV and Ross are worse - geez, how bad is our perimeter D?).

His opponent FG% from anywhere on the court is between average and terrible. Overall he gives up 2% better shooting than his opponents usually shoot, including about 6% better than usual anywhere inside 10 feet - so he lets opponents get to the rim and get easy buckets a lot.
                        This seems to be a common thing among most of the team's perimeter players. Do guys like Vasquez, Lou or Ross have similar numbers?
                        OG is our king

Comment

• Mindlessness wrote: View Post
                          I was going to mention DRPM has its problems myself.

Nobody said DRPM was perfect, it's simply the best we have at measuring defensive impact. I mean, are you sure Butler, Westbrook, and Thompson are worse/slightly better than DeMar at defense. I certainly believe not.
                          Lol as soon as there's potential for it to disagree with your narrative, it has problems?

As I said, Demar isn't nearly as bad as people make him out to be. I'm just going to leave it at that.

Comment

Well I'd rather people didn't use the words "Haters", "Dick Riders" (as I've just seen now, again, ugh.), or anything else. Its silly and grade schoolish.
                            But don't you think the DD argument is almost getting to the personal hate for a player and an personal agenda for some here ...
                            This team has so many holes and so many areas that need improvement but the focus of these people is one thing: DD.

Comment

• McRealistic wrote: View Post
                              But don't you think the DD argument is almost getting to the personal hate for a player and an personal agenda for some here ...
                              Oh of course I do. But there's nothing one can do about that. So regardless of how one feels about DD, I'd rather it not spill out into reflecting those feelings upon other posters here. We're all adults. Or mostly anyway.

Comment

Lol as soon as there's potential for it to disagree with your narrative, it has problems?

As I said, Demar isn't nearly as bad as people make him out to be. I'm just going to leave it at that.
                                Hmmm? I was going to post that after Dan's post, but I saw him saying "That's the best one to use" and thought that implied well enough that it has problems.

Comment

Working...
                                X