Everything Derozan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raptor_11 wrote: View Post
    Billups, Paul, Mayo, Ford, Iverson, Kyrie, Calderon (just off the top of my head) they are all dangerous from mid range, and take at least a few of them a game
    Calderon, Billups, Kyrie Irving are all big Point Guards. I don't see this midrange game y'all see from Mayo. It's usually 3 or layup. Ford can be an exception. It's A.I.
    @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Billups, Paul, Mayo, Ford, Iverson, Kyrie, Calderon (just off the top of my head) they are all dangerous from mid range, and take at least a few of them a game
      Still active: Nash, CP4, Steph.Curry - just off the top
      In history: Stockton, Bernard King, Isaiah Thomas, Mullen, Alex English, Hornacek - just off the top

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
        Name me some.
        All those players named by me and Raptors11 can kill you from the midrange if they wanted to and it didn't matter if it was a bigger guard or even a forward closing in on the shot. And these are just names off the top of our heads.
        This just might be the dumbest debate on this whole website

Comment

• OldSchool wrote: View Post
          All those players named by me and Raptors11 can kill you from the midrange if they wanted to and it didn't matter if it was a bigger guard or even a forward closing in on the shot. And these are just names off the top of our heads.
          This just might be the dumbest debate on this whole website
          If players like OJ are such good midrange shooters? Why most of thier shots not from the midrange? You just naming players that can shoot.
          @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• I said it helps. OJ get not that much left on his shot and his undersized at his position.
            @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Chris Paul is probably the best at working in and around the mid-range.
              Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

If players like OJ are such good midrange shooters? Why most of thier shots not from the midrange? You just naming players that can shoot.
                Yeah Im naming players that can shoot...what did you think a midrange game is? dunks? and Im not saying a midrange game is all they got but if they saw to it that the D was lax midrange then they could exploit it.

RaptorsRueben is right. CP4 is deadly, the minute you back off to stop his penetration then he just pulls up and drains the midrange jumper. easy. And he's almost always the shortest player on the court.

Comment

• It's the hardest shot in the game. It's what defence usually want you to take. I'm just saying it would be harder for a undersized player to make that consistently
                  @Chr1st1anL

Comment

It's the hardest shot in the game. It's what defence usually want you to take. I'm just saying it would be harder for a undersized player to make that consistently
                    I believe what you said was:

[Mayo's] undersized so his midrange is useless
                    There have been some sound arguments suggesting that being undersized doesn't make one's mid-range game "useless".

Being undersized shouldn't/doesn't affect Mayo's mid-range game.

Comment

• Mayo's shotchart

Comment

• Can we get some numbers that says Mayo has an effective midrange game? We all know DD is the only guard in midrange FG made in the top five. Where are the rest of these guard y'all mention.

Personally I prefer DD over Mayo. I feel DD is the better player and still has an upside. I feel that Mayo has peaked. I would prefers FTs(DD is #8 in FTs made) than 3s.
                        @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• DeRozan's shotchart

Comment

• The numbers don't lie. Mayo is basically a better shooter anywhere on the court.

But aside from that, the mere fact that he can create his own shot makes him an upgrade over DeRozan, as such an ability benefits everyone else on the court.
                            Last edited by Nilanka; Thu Mar 14, 2013, 02:51 PM.

Comment

• Soft Euro wrote: View Post
                              DeRozan's shotchart

It's obvious that Derozan's best % is in the mid-range outside of the rim, but Mayo's is still better at each facet/side of the offensive end.
                              Mayo is what he is though, and Derozan's development is similar to the development of a big man (you can argue that his development that way is because he came in very athletic, but very - and I emphasize on VERY - raw.
                              Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

• I don't know, there are different arguments to be made for which kind of game and body you'd rather your SG have....

I'd decide between these two on a few different things.
                                -First, Demar has improved every aspect of his game at least slightly since coming into the league. You can argue that it's too slight in some areas, but at least it's there. Mayo has been pretty much the same exact player since coming into the league. I like a guy who actually grows his game. It shows better work ethic and character.
                                -Second, and this is small, but given the first thing, Demar is also younger...so, younger player who improves a bit every year, or older player who has plateaued (given their production is not that different)?
                                -Third, Mayo is a volume scorer playing a contract year. Really, does anyone think he believes he isn't underpaid? I'm highly dubious of someone who has struggled for 2 years as a complimentary scorer given the role that suits him (shooter) and then performs better than he has in years in a contract year. Demar, on the other hand, had every reason to mail it in after signing an extension, and has even shown improvement during the season. Again, I think this shows better work ethic and character, and that gym-rat mentality that Demar ALWAYS wants to get better to try and become great, whereas Mayo strikes me as someone who already thinks he's great and underperforms when people don't treat him that way.
                                -Finally, when I think of a guy who would fit better than Demar, and if I had to sacrifice some of Demar's game, the guy would have to be more than a bit better shooter than him. I don't think Mayo is that much better a ballhandler. He has a tighter handle, but doesn't pass much better than Demar has started to, and turns it over more. THe reason Ross makes sense as a possible successor is because not only does he have a shooting touch, but he's also got high DEFENSIVE potential. Mayo is not a very strong defender. Certainly not better than Demar. Mayo might be a more useful player on a team that only needed shooting, would let him chuck it, and would cover up for his failings on D. But wait, Memphis was that team and they got sick of him...It's no wonder he lost the starter job, and that there was never any debate whatsoever between who to keep on Memphis between he and Gay, even though a shooting guard like Mayo has a much more complimentary scoring game to two post threats like Gasol and Randolph.

Comment

Working...
                                X