Everything Derozan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
    I was speaking to what my eye has seen, WHEN no one is near him from the 3-point line. He rarely misses from the 3. I agree, he has a tendency to play only 2 or so quarters a game, inefficient, and still inconsistent (improving, done a better job this season), but seems to have had his best stretch of ALL-AROUND basketball since the deal.

I think having a great character, personality, and love for your city is extremely important. Would you like to have another Vince Carter come in town, to only play with our feelings and drop us like a bag of shit? (Look at Vince, he probably wishes he never left now). Demar truly wants to be here, and is doing his very best to improve every season, to try and be the player we all hope and ask of him. Having a desire to be somewhere, doing something that you love, translates to production on the court, and ever since, Demar has improved on something - big or small - with his game.

Saying you don't care, means we could re-create that 2003-2004 Indiana team, with all that potential, skill, talent, but a bunch of knuckleheads ending up putting a franchise into turmoil. No thanks. I care about how guys act, whether they're coach-able, and willing to buy in, and shut up and put the team first. Demar Derozan is that type of guy.
    I do care and find those qualities admirable. What I mean is that none of those intangibles qualities should be used as excuses to accept anything less from him than we'd accept from any other player. Liking the city, putting in gym time and trying hard are great, but don't do anything to contribute to the team's success at the end of the day; only results and significant improvements on the court should matter. I just worry that there's a double standard developing for DeRozan.

Comment

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
      I do care and find those qualities admirable. What I mean is that none of those intangibles qualities should be used as excuses to accept anything less from him than we'd accept from any other player. Liking the city, putting in gym time and trying hard are great, but don't do anything to contribute to the team's success at the end of the day; only results and significant improvements on the court should matter. I just worry that there's a double standard developing for DeRozan.
      So, you're saying that Demar Derozan hasn't improved, and made some significant production for this team for the past 3 seasons and a half? Because, he's definitely done more than just put a couple of points on the board.
      Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

• You can't put in team record on an individual. People talk about how Bosh couldn't take us to the post season, and quite frankly, our team wasn't that talented. We were still a piece or so away from even competing in the 1st round...

Demar Derozan is a talent, and we shouldn't talk about how we haven't won anything with him on our roster. It's still a team game. I also think it's silly people said we should have moved on from Calderon, because he never contributed to winning. He did his best, but our team isn't built to do that.

Obviously, if you have one talented player like a LeBron James, a Kevin Durant, a Carmelo Anthony, a Chris Paul, etc. You're going to be successful regardless of who is around them. Is Demar one of those guys? No. Is he a great player in terms of surrounding those type of talent. Yes. I think people expect too much out of a guy, than look at his production and overlook his weaknesses to certify that. Since the Rudy Gay deal, we've been winning, has Demar Derozan contributed to it? He has. Small sample games, but still, during a winning environment/stretch, he's pulling his weight.

Comment

• ^ +1 Billion. Stop hating on DeMar.

Comment

• I love how the terms "trolling" and "hating" are used to describe truthful statements regarding DeMar's defense, shooting, and handles.

Comment

• Defense ya it needs a lot of work no doubt, handles have gotten a lot better where he can do some playmaking. Shooting he has gotten much much much better, he doesnt have a 3 point shot so what? if he is hitting his midranges 8/10 thats pretty dam good DeMar a year ago could not do any of this stuff, he put his work in and yo you gotta give credit where credit is due.

If you are going to call out a player on his negatives you gotta look at the positives too and right now his positives on this team highly outwiegh his negatives.

Comment

• Rapstor4Life wrote: View Post
                If you are going to call out a player on his negatives you gotta look at the positives too and right now his positives on this team highly outwiegh his negatives.
                I'm not sure about that, but I suppose time will tell...

Comment

• Rapstor4Life wrote: View Post
                  Defense ya it needs a lot of work no doubt, handles have gotten a lot better where he can do some playmaking. Shooting he has gotten much much much better, he doesnt have a 3 point shot so what? if he is hitting his midranges 8/10 thats pretty dam good DeMar a year ago could not do any of this stuff, he put his work in and yo you gotta give credit where credit is due.

If you're going to talk about positives, at least base your claims on reality/statistics!

FG%: 43.5% (below his 45.2% career average) is dreadful

3P%: 27.7% (an improvement on his 23.0% career average) is dreadful

I will admit that his peripherals (ie: rebounding & assists) have improved but, aside from a stretch of really good games a couple weeks ago, they still aren't great.

RPG: 4.2 (an improvement on his 3.5 career average) is average at best

APG: 2.3 (an improvement on his 1.6 career average) is average at best

He's also getting to the free-throw line a little more this year (and converting at a higher %), but he still can't use his dribble to penetrate consistently (especially against above average defenders) and still doesn't finish strong at the rim consistently enough (if only that Mozgov dunk was the norm, instead of an exception!).

DeRozan is a good young player that could further develop into a borderline all-star. However, he's now in his 4th year, he's paid like a star ($9.5M per season starting next year, on a team with a payroll nearing the luxury tax threshold), he's not even the #1 wing on the roster (Gay) and he's likely going to start getting pushed by a rookie on a rookie-scale contract (Ross) by next season, if not sooner.

I think it's safe to evaluate DeRozan as both an asset to this team for the long-term AND as a potential trade asset to acquire equal/better talent at a position of need. I also don't think it's fair to be branded a "hater" for having the objectivity to do so.
                  Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Tue Feb 19, 2013, 03:11 PM.

Comment

• I'll admit Im a huge DeRozan fan lol but I didnt stand up for him last season in fact It was very abysmal blame whatever you want no training camp/shortened season not prepared etc whatever. He came back a better player he took a sizable jump. The loses we have had this season are not on him for not producing, he rose to the occaision in a lot of games the team as a whole just came up short, and with a player like Rudy gay things should only be easier for him which they have been, if he continues putting up 17-20 ppg a game with Gay thats filling the requirements of the 2nd go to guy, and worth his contract.

Ross is a good sixth man andthere is no shame in it or hell maybe Ross becomes better and DD comes off the bench Toronto still has one of maybe top 8 top 5 Wing rotations in the league come year 5. If DeRozan is moved It has to be an established talent

Comment

• Stats don't tell the whole story, if you have been watching raptor games you would notice that DD doesn't take really bad shots, knows when to pull out and send it to another player. Also you would notice how his mid range and overall shooting is getting much better, even if the stats don't say so.

Comment

• He needs serious work on his handles.
                        @RavNation

Comment

• He has this move now where he comes off the pick n roll from the 3-point line, drives into the lane, does this stupid effing spin, and then they pick him off......

Comment

• In his past two games he's 10/27 = 37%, with lots of long 2pt shots and weak finishes at the rim. If Ross makes significant improvements between now and the start of next season, then I don't see how DeRozan doesn't become trade bait #2 (after Bargnani, of course) in the offseason to acquire a star PF (ie: Millsap, Gasol - high quality player), especially given the team's financial situation and wing depth.

Comment

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                              In his past two games he's 10/27 = 37%, with lots of long 2pt shots and weak finishes at the rim. If Ross makes significant improvements between now and the start of next season, then I don't see how DeRozan doesn't become trade bait #2 (after Bargnani, of course) in the offseason to acquire a star PF (ie: Millsap, Gasol - high quality player), especially given the team's financial situation and wing depth.
                              Last night, Ross was 0/5652342

Comment

• RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
                                Last night, Ross was 0/5652342
                                Ross isn't going to be paid $9.5M per season to be the team's #2 scoring option, he's a rookie 5th string wing player on a lottery team. How/why would you possibly have the same expectations for the two of them?

Comment

Working...
                                X