Everything Derozan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KHD wrote: View Post
    well to be fair he shot exactly 30% in that year on ~200 attempts. not exactly all that impressive.

And this year he shot 34% on 140 attempts. Norman Powell attempted 2/3rds as many threes in 1/4 of the minutes that Derozan played.

He wasn't, and still isn't, a three point threat.
    At the time, the argument was a statistical one. Matt52 said specifically how he would consider it an improvement for Demar to get to 30% and I argued that a continued improvement could get him to ~34% and he could exist like Dwade did. This past year he got that 34%.

Matt52 shot down my idea of an improvement trajectory, and claimed outright that Demar would not get to 30%.

I was not saying anything about Demar being a good 3pt shooter, just enough of a serviceable one that it is not a good argument to get rid of him and tank. I was trying to say that Demar COULD exist in this NBA environment as a contender, and we broke down the different facets of his game that if improved could get him there.
    The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

• OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
      I'd say 4/26 (15.4%) on threes in the playoffs adequately sums up his three point shooting skills
      Yes, of course. Because when 140 three point attempts is a throw away sample size, 26 three point attempts should be held up as the true indicator.

Like I said before, we'll just continue to find creative new ways to dismiss the guy and justify getting rid of him. "Never going to be an elite three point shooter" seems to be one of the early leaders for this summer so far.
      Last edited by Fully; Fri Jun 17, 2016, 05:13 PM.

Comment

• Fully wrote: View Post
        Yes, of course. Because when 140 three point attempts is a throw away sample size, 26 three point attempts should be held up as the true indicator.
        Only if it makes DeMar look bad. If the smaller sample size had made him look good, then you use the larger sample size and call it definitive.
        If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

• 3inthekeon wrote: View Post
          Only if it makes DeMar look bad. If the smaller sample size had made him look good, then you use the larger sample size and call it definitive.
          You may have a future here.

Comment

• Mess wrote: View Post
            It would be interesting to know how many people joined these forums/first visited this site in the spring/summer of 2010 when the legendary "summer of 2010" hype was on its way to reaching its peak. Would have to be much higher than the normal rate I imagine.
            God, that was a bad basketball team. That 10-11 season was the nadir of the Colangelo-era. I recall them going through something like 25 players on the roster and it was just an absolute tire fire. Worst Raptor team since the 90s. Can't believe BC held on for another two years after that.... Wow. You'd watch the games and they were just completely discombobulated defensively and looked wholly unprepared and disorganized. And Bargnani was arguably their best player.....

Comment

The larger sample size would be his entire career, which is also, coincidentally, the only sample size close to adequate statistically speaking, and paints the picture as him not being terribly good.
              twitter.com/anthonysmdoyle

Comment

• Barolt wrote: View Post
                The larger sample size would be his entire career, which is also, coincidentally, the only sample size close to adequate statistically speaking, and paints the picture as him not being terribly good.
                I don't think you were following along.

Comment

For a shooting guard sub-30% is bad. 33% is not terribly good. He's not 15.4% bad.
                  If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

I don't think you were following along.
                    I am, but I'm saying in the context of a career sample size of 717 3s in 7 seasons, in which he shot 28.3%, and the last four seasons being at 28.3%, 30.5%, 28.4%, 33.8%... there is a case to be made that he simply doesn't shoot enough 3s for any singular season to be a respectable sample size, and so you have to look at longer trends. In which case while his playoffs of shooting 4/26 from 3(34.6% of which were from the corners) might not actually be a slump, simply him shooting worse shots again.

Keep in mind, I've argued in favor of DeMar not being a terrible 3pt shooter(very, very situationally before), but the problem is his decision making. While this season was a gigantic step forward in that regard, the playoffs was a massive regression there.

So can we trust the regular season this year, in light of the playoffs? Who knows.

Comment

For a shooting guard sub-30% is bad. 33% is not terribly good. He's not 15.4% bad.
                      While I agree that he's about a 30% shooter, I also think he took terrible shots from 3 during the playoffs.

Too many above the break 3s, only 9 of them were wide open(he hit 2 of these). 7 of them were off the dribble(he hit none).

A lot of the type of shots that he misses. He shot 20.5% on pull-up 3s during the season. 13/32 on wide open 3s this year. Why's he ever shooting them contested?

Comment

I am, but I'm saying in the context of a career sample size of 717 3s in 7 seasons, in which he shot 28.3%, and the last four seasons being at 28.3%, 30.5%, 28.4%, 33.8%... there is a case to be made that he simply doesn't shoot enough 3s for any singular season to be a respectable sample size, and so you have to look at longer trends. In which case while his playoffs of shooting 4/26 from 3(34.6% of which were from the corners) might not actually be a slump, simply him shooting worse shots again.

Keep in mind, I've argued in favor of DeMar not being a terrible 3pt shooter(very, very situationally before), but the problem is his decision making. While this season was a gigantic step forward in that regard, the playoffs was a massive regression there.

So can we trust the regular season this year, in light of the playoffs? Who knows.
                        I think we were actually just poking fun at the posters who rush in to dismiss DD's 3P% this regular season because it only came on 140 attempts, and then rush in again to hold up his 3P% from the playoffs, despite it being on 26 attempts.

We don't need any more elaborate breakdowns on DeRozan's three point shooting - everyone knows DeRozan is not great. He hasn't gotten any better/worse than 2 weeks ago from when the season ended either... but yet we continue to rack our brains to find new ways to say it.
                        Last edited by Fully; Fri Jun 17, 2016, 06:29 PM.

Comment

I think we were actually just poking fun at the posters who rush in to dismiss DD's 3P% this regular season because it only came on 140 attempts, and then rush in again to hold up his 3P% from the playoffs, despite it being on 26 attempts.

We don't need any more elaborate breakdowns on DeRozan's three point shooting - everyone knows DeRozan is not great. He hasn't gotten any better/worse than 2 weeks ago from when the season ended either... but yet we continue to rack our brains to find new ways to say it.
                          that wasn't the same person.

I was talking about his 140 attempts this season. And not in the sense that his percentage should be dismissed, just that 140 attempts, even if he'd shot 44% instead of 34%, doesn't exactly a 3 point threat make.

You need to have a bit of volume in order to really get guys attention and spread the floor.

Comment

• KHD wrote: View Post
                            that wasn't the same person.

I was talking about his 140 attempts this season. And not in the sense that his percentage should be dismissed, just that 140 attempts, even if he'd shot 44% instead of 34%, doesn't exactly a 3 point threat make.

You need to have a bit of volume in order to really get guys attention and spread the floor.
                            So Derozan isn't a great 3 point threat?

Go on...

Comment

• With Curry, Westbrook and Harden not playing does Demar make the USA Olympic roster ?

I think their 12 man roster will be
                              Kyrie/Wall/Lillard
                              Thompson/Butler
                              LBJ/KD/Kawhi
                              Melo/George
                              Davis/Cousins

But if any of the guards dont play, Demar is next in line

I think its a toss up between Wall, Lillard, Derozan and Butler
                              Abbas wrote:

First of all i was my own source

Comment

• Keep in mind there is a high chance he doesnt play due to being a free agent
                                Abbas wrote:

First of all i was my own source

Comment

Working...
                                X