Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ball4life wrote: View Post
    dude your numbers are such eye sore.

I said he has a chance to mold his game to a paul pierce type and he should, i didnt say he is paul pierce.
    lol

Comment

Dude your numbers are such eye sore.

I said he has a chance to mold his game to a Paul Pierce type and he should, I didnt say he is Paul Pierce.
      I disagree though. Pierce was a much better 3pt shooter and midrange shooter. The reality of DeMar's game is he doesn't have those tools.
      twitter.com/anthonysmdoyle

Comment

• And by the way Pierce was still playing like an all-star until he was 35. Would've made sense to use someone like him for your career-length comparison rather than a guy like TMac whose shoulder and knee went, had two major surgeries in two years, which basically ended his career (at least as a star).

Pierce obviously has a completely different level of shooting ability than DeRozan but he was still primarily a slasher. Similar type of slasher to DeRozan as well in the sense that he drew fouls more with craftiness than just sheer athleticism like a Westbrook. Like DeMar also had his first all-star appearance at 24. Last was at 34.

Comment

• Gambino wrote: View Post
          And by the way Pierce was still playing like an all-star until he was 35. Would've made sense to use someone like him for your career-length comparison rather than a guy like TMac whose shoulder and knee went, had two major surgeries in two years, which basically ended his career (at least as a star).

Pierce obviously has a completely different level of shooting ability than DeRozan but he was still primarily a slasher. Similar type of slasher to DeRozan as well in the sense that he drew fouls more with craftiness than just sheer athleticism like a Westbrook. Like DeMar also had his first all-star appearance at 24. Last was at 34.
          Still disagree. Pierce at 27 was taking 26% of his shots from 16-23ft, and 23% from 3pt range, and hitting 42% from 16-23ft and 37% from 3. DeMar this year took 24% of his shots from 16-23ft and 10% from 3pt range, hit 35.9% from 16-23ft and 33.8% from 3.

Midrange/3pt shooting was a bigger part of Pierce's game, and he was better at it, which is a big part of what let him age the way he did. DeMar doesn't have that game.

I don't think it's stylistic match. Also, Pierce was a plus defender. DeMar isn't.

Comment

• Barolt wrote: View Post
            I disagree though. Pierce was a much better 3pt shooter and midrange shooter. The reality of DeMar's game is he doesn't have those tools.
            Exactly! this was my initial post. IFFF he can be a threat from the 3 and learn to defend within the schemes, then I don't see why he cant be a Paul Pierce type. Demar already has a bit of a crafty old man game in the post. Of course he needs to learn to shoot the 3 first to open up other opportunities for him. He has a long way to go to be that type of player but he can and he should.

Comment

DeMar's 7th season vs. Pierce's 7th season:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/...3=&p4=&p5=&p6=

What DeMar does better: Turns it over less. Takes more shots. Better FT percentage(85% vs. 82.2%). Slightly better assist rate.(20.8% vs. 20.3%)

What Pierce does better: Shots(from floor and 3), rebounds, steals, blocks, lower usage, better DBPM and DWS, better at drawing fouls.

Pierce in playoffs: +29 net rating, 65.1% true shooting, .301 WS/48.

DeMar in playoffs: Not going to bother.
              and then, if we compare pierce at 26 to demar at 26:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/...3=&p4=&p5=&p6=

What Demar does better: turns it over less, higher PER, higher win shares, better TS%, more points, better net rating, better free throw percentage and freethrows taken

What Pierce does better: Takes more shots, worse efficiency, worse three point shooter, better rebounder, more steals and blocks

stats can sometimes be alittle misleading cant they?
              I'm back. I no longer worship joe johnson

Comment

Exactly! this was my initial post. IFFF he can be a threat from the 3 and learn to defend within the schemes, then I don't see why he cant be a Paul Pierce type. Demar already has a bit of a crafty old man game in the post. Of course he needs to learn to shoot the 3 first to open up other opportunities for him. He has a long way to go to be that type of player but he can and he should.
                But 'becoming a threat from the 3' doesn't just happen. I challenged people a few months ago to find a guy who developed a 3pt shot late in his career without already being a good midrange shooter. Even Jason Kidd hit 36% on 3.2 attempts at 25.

Guys who can't shoot the 3 or midrange jumpers don't suddenly become elite 3pt shooters.

Comment

• Based on everything I've read since the end of the season, Demar will be a Raptor come next season. Excellent. Many more years of quality DeBatin'.....

Comment

But 'becoming a threat from the 3' doesn't just happen. I challenged people a few months ago to find a guy who developed a 3pt shot late in his career without already being a good midrange shooter. Even Jason Kidd hit 36% on 3.2 attempts at 25.

Guys who can't shoot the 3 or midrange jumpers don't suddenly become elite 3pt shooters.
                    Perhaps I missed it, but has anybody EVER indicated that Demar will somehow turn himself into an ELITE 3pt shooter?

Comment

• The problem with a lot of posters here is, in my opinion, that they solely use numbers to paint a picture or they don't use numbers at all and stick with their belief and what they see on the court (eg: dunking ability).

I think we should use numbers with context and incorporate intangibles that can't be measured.

Comment

• Joey wrote: View Post
                        Perhaps I missed it, but has anybody EVER indicated that Demar will somehow turn himself into an ELITE 3pt shooter?
                        Suggesting he follow Pierce's career path is basically suggesting that. Pierce 29-32: 38.9%, 39.2%, 39.1%, 41.4% from 3.

Comment

Lol.

But Pierce shot under 26 percent from 3s in the playoff year you brought up (he was 27 at the time as well).

I wouldn't say that its MUCH better than Demar who has a career playoff 25 percent from 3s (which includes his 15.4 percent from this year's playoffs)

25.6 percent from 3s is not much better than 25 percent.....

The point was that Paul Pierce eventually improved and so could Demar. Man.....Real question....Are you doing this stuff on purpose??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• special1 wrote: View Post
                            Lol.

But Pierce shot under 26 percent from 3s in the playoff year you brought up (he was 27 at the time as well).

I wouldn't say that its MUCH better than Demar who has a career playoff 25 percent from 3s (which includes his 15.4 percent from this year's playoffs)

25.6 percent from 3s is not much better than 25 percent.....

The point was that Paul Pierce eventually improved and so could Demar. Man.....Real question....Are you doing this stuff on purpose??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            I truly believe that there's a huge difference between DeMar and Pierce and how they got their points. I don't think it's remotely reasonable to compare DeMar, who is a career 28% 3pt shooter, and say that he should 'just become' a Hall of Famer who shot 39%+ for 4 straight seasons from 29-32. That's not a reasonable plan.

I'm not doing this to troll, I'm doing this because I think the comparison is ridiculous.

Comment

Dude your numbers are such eye sore.

I said he has a chance to mold his game to a Paul Pierce type and he should, I didnt say he is Paul Pierce.
                              Thing with Paul Pierce is that throughout his entire career he was able to move his fat behind with his elite handle and get to the rim any time he wanted and could pressure the other team to provide two helpers and it really impacted the game

DD needs a perfect screen and the other team to not have a center to provide help in order to be effective going to the rim

Completely different players and it is disrespectful to the career that Pierce had if you even mention DD is the same sentence as him

Comment

Suggesting he follow Pierce's career path is basically suggesting that. Pierce 29-32: 38.9%, 39.2%, 39.1%, 41.4% from 3.
                                Are you taking into consideration how much of a hard worker Demar is?...probably not. If you can bet on any player to improve shooting it should be on Demar. Whether he will become an elite 3 point shooter or not is a different discussion and not something I am suggesting.

Also, Paul Pierce improvin from 35% in 26 to 41% in 32 is a indication you CAN improve your shooting later in your career.

Comment

Working...
                                X