Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I_Worship_Joe_Johnson wrote: View Post
    Do you think he's overpaid right now ?
    i wouldn't say he's overpaid... but he's inefficient as hell, can't defend or shoot the 3. so if i'm running a team why would i want him back for another contract? as a 6th man/scorer off the bench. i'm not re-signing him to be a core player.
    @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• Just Is wrote: View Post
      This I agree with and is actually what I think happened. Although I think the former lead directly into the latter.

A lot of people will point to the Portland game as the turning point. For me, there was nothing but warning signs in the game right before there in Denver.

I think the point I wanted to make here is that I don't think Demar makes an actual real noticeable impact on the team (and I think this would have been a little more noticeable if Fields didn't get injured so early). Defensively, his impact became more noticeable because of his replacement was largely a negative (as well as the system being found out very early on). The defensive would have still fallen; it might have just been slower.
      Of course he makes an impact. If he didn't the question becomes whether to cut him

Comment

• raptors999 wrote: View Post
        Of course he makes an impact. If he didn't the question becomes whether to cut him
        I didn't mean it in the sense that he doesn't make any impact. Just in the sense that the impact he has on the team is nowhere near as you would think. Negatively or positively.
        "My biggest concern as a coach is to not confuse winning with progress." - Steve Kerr
        "If it's unacceptable in defeat, it's unacceptable in victory." - Jeff Van Gundy

Comment

• Just Is wrote: View Post
          I didn't mean it in the sense that he doesn't make any impact. Just in the sense that the impact he has on the team is nowhere near as you would think. Negatively or positively.
          I agree. They were sub .500 with him and without. Not sure if they were exactly sub .500 for guys on Excel right now crunching numbers

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
            You do know Wiggins isn't a possibility for at least 5 years right?
            You know the Raptors probably won't be in position to win at title in the next five years, right?

Comment

• I've always thought that DeMar was a net neutral player. The impact stats tend to bear that out. Whatever he gives you he gives back to the other team in another form.

He's not a guy who will kill you defensively (as long as he's not assigned to be a stopper), and scoring, even volume scoring, has value in the league. So I place his value just above the mid-level - say about 8M now, and closer to 12M in the 2017 cap world.

But I accept that his market value is much higher (due to the disproportionate value that is placed on raw numbers and all-star appearances when free agency comes into play). Possibly high enough that one stupid GM will bite on his request for 25M (though that is very unlikely, that being the starting point certainly increases his expected actual income to closer to 18-22M). Hence my stance, for a couple years now (since the Gay trade that should have triggered a proper tank) that he should be traded rather than let him walk, because if I'm having to make a competitive offer on DD, the only reason I would consider doing it is if I believed I could flip him in January or the following summer for a nice haul on his new contract.

Which is possible, don't get me wrong. Not so much if we give him 25M, but on say an 18M deal, I still would not want him on the team for that cap hit, but I'd be more optimistic about finding value for him in the trade market at that price tag.
              twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• JWash wrote: View Post
                Let's assume DeRozan doesn't get traded and he hits 2016 FA. What number do you stop at when entering contract negotiations with him?

For me I think I'd stop somewhere between 17-20M, not sure where in that range yet though, would need to see how he plays next year.
                6-8 under the current cap. Like DanH said it would be adjusted to about 12. But absolutely no more than 12.

Also I believe he is a bench scorer and nothing more.

I_Worship_Joe_Johnson wrote: View Post
                Do you think he's overpaid right now ?
                Yes

jacobdr4 wrote: View Post
                Definitely not a fan of Demar's game and think he should be traded, but to say he cant defend is a bit of an overstatement. He is an average defender which i can deal with. Its his offensive game (pun intended) that I hate.
                "He can't defend"

Well as a blanket statement you are right. That would mean we are talking Andrea/Vasquez territory.

I should clarify: "DD is not a good enough defender to play 20+ minutes on a competitive team (ie second round or better)"

Also, this year his defensive metrics were pretty good because his replacement players consisted of Vasquez and Lou...both horrendous defenders which, in relation, make DD seem average.

Comment

• MLSE propaganda machine in full force!

http://www.sportsnet.ca/basketball/n...-a-max-player/

Sign Aldridge!

Trade DeRozan.

Keep cap space for another max next season... Like a complete player.

Comment

• mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
                    MLSE propaganda machine in full force!

http://www.sportsnet.ca/basketball/n...-a-max-player/

Sign Aldridge!

Trade DeRozan.

Keep cap space for another max next season... Like a complete player.
                    That is a hilarious article

"Year over year, as the stats demonstrate, DeRozan has improved virtually every aspect of his game"

*Several RR members heads explode

Comment

• OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post

"Year over year, as the stats demonstrate, DeRozan has improved virtually every aspect of his game"

This only works if you ignore...you know...the most recent year. And everything else that the stats demonstrate.

I don't think even the strongest Demar fans honestly think he's a max player.
                      "My biggest concern as a coach is to not confuse winning with progress." - Steve Kerr
                      "If it's unacceptable in defeat, it's unacceptable in victory." - Jeff Van Gundy

Comment

I always struggle to find so many poeople arguing that improvement.

.03% increase in shooting percentage is technically an increase, but comeon....

Comment

no no no, you guys, he just forgot the punctuation:

"Year over year, as the stats demonstrate, DeRozan has improved, virtually, every aspect of his game."

Don't you see, he's talking about NBA 2k!

Comment

• Just read an article claiming that DeMar is a top notch defender?

What?

If that was the case I wonder why we forced Tross to guard guys who have about 40lbs on him.

Derozan is an adequate defender but nowhere near top notch
                            "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

• DeRozan is actually a strong system defender. Unfortunately he's still pretty far subpar in individual defence, which causes issues, so Ross tends to take the better offensive player (not always, but tends to) even though he's overall a very poor defender (has a hard time with rotations and, er, screens) because he's a little better one on one.

DeRozan shows flashes, just like with his three point shot, but you can be sure if it is there one game it won't be for the next two. Still a long way to come from never playing good D like when he started.

But I agree that it was jarring to say that DeMar was the strongest of our defenders on the perimeter. JJ was certainly better. Lowry was better for most of the year, then terrible over the last couple months. I would rank DD behind those two but better than Ross, Lou and certainly Greivis.
                              twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Everything Demar Derozan

This thread has been hijacked by trolls. I must admit I used to find some of them incredibly amusing.

Can someone just start a "I hate Demar thread" so we can get these trolls a yard where they can all play? Same people. Same comments. Copy paste. Pats on the back and hugs from all the Demar haters.

*yawn*

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                                Last edited by special1; Mon Jun 29, 2015, 09:45 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X