No announcement yet.

Everything Derozan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This isn't a contract year for Mayo. Player option next year.

Comment

• OldSchool wrote: View Post
      Yeah Im naming players that can shoot...what did you think a midrange game is? dunks? and Im not saying a midrange game is all they got but if they saw to it that the D was lax midrange then they could exploit it.

RaptorsRueben is right. CP4 is deadly, the minute you back off to stop his penetration then he just pulls up and drains the midrange jumper. easy. And he's almost always the shortest player on the court.
      Who the hell is CP4?

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
        This isn't a contract year for Mayo. Player option next year.
        you think he'll pick up his less than MLE player option??? I don't.

I'm almost as confident that he'll opt out as I am that Kleiza will pick up his.

If Mayo thinks like you do, that he's better than Demar, he'll hit the market expecting something like 8-10 million, and probably wouldn't settle for less than the MLE in the worst case.

Comment

• NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
          Who the hell is CP4?
          CP3 I think

Comment

• LOL at the shot charts. Green on one side, red on another.

I'm not sure if there is an argument between DeRozan and Mayo but I think, fit wise, Mayo is a better fit.

Secondary ball handler & stretches the floor.

But DeMar has the post game going for him.
            “I don’t create controversies. They’re there long before I open my mouth. I just bring them to your attention.”

-- Charles Barkley

Comment

• Scouting report
              + Combo guard with strong outside jumper. Excels coming off pin-downs and curls.
              + Good handle but lacks jets to get in paint consistently. Can play point in a pinch.
              + Struggles on defense: Short for a 2, slow for a 1. Effective guarding big PGs.

Analysis It's been four years, and Mayo has hardly improved since his first day in Memphis -- in particular, the outside shooting stroke that seemed so promising his rookie year has failed to progress. Mayo's 3-point and free throw marks have been on a steady southward trajectory since his rookie season, which is troubling because his best hope of becoming a star was as a Reggie Miller-type shooter.

That's not happening -- he's at 37.5 percent on his career for 3s and doesn't shoot any better on long 2s -- so what we're left with is a decent enough scoring guard but one that isn't necessarily a starter. Mayo scores at a decent clip because he has a good handle and feel for getting to the basket, but he's not a great athlete and doesn't have an explosive first step.

Additionally, efforts to play him at the point haven't borne much fruit. While he can handle the ball, he lacks a distributor's instincts and really struggles to maneuver when quick guards pressure his dribble. According to 82games.com, his turnover ratio nearly doubled when he played the point; the main benefit was a huge uptick in free throws because he could bully smaller guards. The only way he could play point regularly would be in a system that lets other players do much of the ballhandling and mainly required him to spot up -- the Lakers in the Triangle years, for example.

Mayo isn't wowing anybody with his defense either, although there is one niche where he has proved effective: He does solid work against bigger 1s like Russell Westbrook and Derrick Rose, and often took that assignment to spare the smaller Mike Conley a beating. Mayo also had strong rates of blocks and steals and a solid rebound rate, so at least he's active. But he struggles in size matchups at the 2 and picks up fouls easily, and his effort level still isn't as consistent as it could be.
              @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
                http://www.hoopsworld.com/ranking-th...ooting-guards/

No love for DD in top SGs in the league:

Kobe
                Harden
                Wade
                Manu
                OJ
                AI
                Probably because all those players are way better than him, even Mayo

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                  His undersized so his midrange is useless. Doesn't get to the line. His also a bad defender.
                  Bad defender? Wasn't he the guy guarding Chris Paul in the playoffs? Even when you had Tony Allen on your team?

I also fail to see how being undersized makes your mid-ranged game useless. How often do you see a jumpshot get blocked?

Comment

• Sig wrote: View Post
                    Bad defender? Wasn't he the guy guarding Chris Paul in the playoffs? Even when you had Tony Allen on your team?

I also fail to see how being undersized makes your mid-ranged game useless. How often do you see a jumpshot get blocked?
                    He can't guard his position. Which is the 2. Read the scouting report.
                    @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                      Scouting report
                      + Combo guard with strong outside jumper. Excels coming off pin-downs and curls.
                      + Good handle but lacks jets to get in paint consistently. Can play point in a pinch.
                      + Struggles on defense: Short for a 2, slow for a 1. Effective guarding big PGs.

Analysis It's been four years, and Mayo has hardly improved since his first day in Memphis -- in particular, the outside shooting stroke that seemed so promising his rookie year has failed to progress. Mayo's 3-point and free throw marks have been on a steady southward trajectory since his rookie season, which is troubling because his best hope of becoming a star was as a Reggie Miller-type shooter.

That's not happening -- he's at 37.5 percent on his career for 3s and doesn't shoot any better on long 2s -- so what we're left with is a decent enough scoring guard but one that isn't necessarily a starter. Mayo scores at a decent clip because he has a good handle and feel for getting to the basket, but he's not a great athlete and doesn't have an explosive first step.

Additionally, efforts to play him at the point haven't borne much fruit. While he can handle the ball, he lacks a distributor's instincts and really struggles to maneuver when quick guards pressure his dribble. According to 82games.com, his turnover ratio nearly doubled when he played the point; the main benefit was a huge uptick in free throws because he could bully smaller guards. The only way he could play point regularly would be in a system that lets other players do much of the ballhandling and mainly required him to spot up -- the Lakers in the Triangle years, for example.

Mayo isn't wowing anybody with his defense either, although there is one niche where he has proved effective: He does solid work against bigger 1s like Russell Westbrook and Derrick Rose, and often took that assignment to spare the smaller Mike Conley a beating. Mayo also had strong rates of blocks and steals and a solid rebound rate, so at least he's active. But he struggles in size matchups at the 2 and picks up fouls easily, and his effort level still isn't as consistent as it could be.
                      This definitely is from before this year.

Comment

• Soft Euro wrote: View Post
                        I don't think his strengths and weaknesses have changed, just that he's playing better on a team that's been relying on him because of Dirk injury, etc.
                        Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

• Soft Euro wrote: View Post
                          His still the same player.
                          @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
                            I don't think his strengths and weaknesses have changed, just that he's playing better on a team that's been relying on him because of Dirk injury, etc.
                            I saw him play against san antonio and was not impressed. They went to old man carter for the game winner over him, that right there says that the team doesn't have much confidence in him.

Comment

• vince has been given the shot for the past 3-4 games over and over again. out of the 2 games that hes had the ball at the last minute, he's missed. same old vince.

Comment

• I think it's safe to say Derozan will be on the trade market this off-season, with the way Ross has been playing in consistent minutes, Derozan is going to become a trade asset in helping get that big this off-season. I'm against trading him, because of his improvement and great character, not to mention I think he's a big part of this team in general, but Fields/Ross is/will/might make him expendable.

Especially because his contract is the reason why this team is so hampered down the road financially, not Rudy, because Rudy is a much better player than Derozan, and Bargnani is Bargnani.
                                Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

Working...
                                X