Everything Derozan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• K I'm done, zero common ground here.

Moving on, anyone seen any updates on DeRozan as far as offseason training/drew league/etc so far?

Comment

• imanshumpert wrote: View Post
      K I'm done, zero common ground here.

Moving on, anyone seen any updates on DeRozan as far as offseason training/drew league/etc so far?
      I thought we both agreed he has talent?

Comment

• Everything Demar Derozan

ball4life wrote: View Post
        Hard work IS a talent
        Yes! Thank you! Posted this elsewhere but it fits:

e_wheazhy_ wrote: View Post
        Personally, and this could be me with my Demar blinders (love his work ethic, an intangible that's hard to find and raises his value in my eyes), I wouldn't get out of bed for less than MKG, Henderson, #9 and either Zeller or CDR.

Demar is so so sooo much a part of this locker room and along with Lowry, the reason we've performed so well this season. He is their leader and they truly look up to him. He, in turn, sets a great example with his incredible determination and desire to improve/win. Obviously there's a point where the team will get way better by trading him, but a lot of these trade scenarios are redundant at best when they're not negative overall.
        A key that opens many locks is a master key, but a lock that gets open by many keys is just a shitty lock

Comment

• Haters gonna hate. DD is here to STAY

Comment

• mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
            Tim Duncan also had/has generational talent.

That was my point.

DeMar does have talent but his work ethic has made him an all-star.
            No, both talent, work ethic and opportunity made him an all-star. Is anyone in here going to question the effort of the likes of JYD, Alvin Williams or Matt Bonner? Are any of those guys all-stars? Exactly.

Hard work is not talent. Hard work is inspiration & motivation. Anyone can work as hard as they can work but some people either don't want to do that or don't see the value in doing that.

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
              No, both talent, work ethic and opportunity made him an all-star. Is anyone in here going to question the effort of the likes of JYD, Alvin Williams or Matt Bonner? Are any of those guys all-stars? Exactly.

Hard work is not talent. Hard work is inspiration & motivation. Anyone can work as hard as they can work but some people either don't want to do that or don't see the value in doing that.
              Exactly.

DeRozan wants to work and that work ethic has maximized his talent making him an all-star. A guy who came in to the league with no shot, no dribble, no play making skills worked his ass off and became an all-star. That is hard work, not talent. He still has an inconsistent shot overall, his dribbles are still weak, his play making has improved but still is sketchy.

Who has more talent? Nick young or DeRozan? Young. Who has had a better career? DeRozan.

Who has more talent? Jr smith or DeRozan? JR. Who has had a better career? DeRozan.

I'm not seeing the panty bunching here. DeRozan is talented. His work ethic/character has helped him reach most of his potential. Guys like young and smith are more talented. Unfortunately they don't put the work in to their games like DD.....imagine if they did.

Essentially DeRozan is your honor roll student who works his ass off to be there. We all know someone (or we are) the honor student who didn't have to do jack shit to get there.... Hello nick young and jr smith.

Comment

• I would suggest going back to 4156 and seeing how this conversation unfolded.

DeRozan could be in the same conversation as Tim Duncan work ethic wise.

There is no f*cking chance in hell he is in the same area code as talent.

Take off the homer glasses gents.

Comment

• Who the heck is comparing his talent to Tim Duncan? Tim Duncan one of the greatest players of all time. No one is connecting these dots, are they?

DeMar is an All Star or in other words one of the better team stars in the league.

Tim Duncan is a SUPERSTAR, as in one of the greatest of all time.

Sent from my Note 3 using Tapatalk

Comment

I would suggest going back to 4156 and seeing how this conversation unfolded.

Dude stop FUCKING throwing out insults and calling people homers.

Had zero issue with what you were saying (even though I don't agree with it) up until this.

Comment

• @mchappy wtf is your definition of talent
                      I'm back. I no longer worship joe johnson

Comment

Who has more talent? Nick young or DeRozan? Young. Who has had a better career? DeRozan.

Who has more talent? Jr smith or DeRozan? JR. Who has had a better career? DeRozan.
                        We have a different definition of 'Talent'.

Comment

• Hard work is a talent.

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
                            Who the heck is comparing his talent to Tim Duncan? Tim Duncan one of the greatest players of all time. No one is connecting these dots, are they?

DeMar is an All Star or in other words one of the better team stars in the league.

Tim Duncan is a SUPERSTAR, as in one of the greatest of all time.

Sent from my Note 3 using Tapatalk

Stooley started with:

stooley wrote: View Post
                            article on grantland trying to explain how the spurs keep turning role players into perfect system guys.

the conclusion: practice, practice and more practice.

is a good work ethic and underlooked component of talent? does this make DD more valuable if he inspires his team mates to work as hard as he does?
                            So we have our discussion of the Spurs and DeRozan right there.

Then I replied with:

mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
                            Tim Duncan effect.

When your best player is your hardest worker and everyone is held to the same standard, good things happen..... assuming the talent is there.
                            Stand by that statement: you have a hall of fame player who works harder than anyone on that team and it keeps everyone in line combined with a hall of fame coach who treats everyone like poop (somewhat joking).

A reply to my Tim Duncan effect post:

I hate Demar's game but honestly... the dude is inspiring for other players especially young kids to come in and to get going with business. For that sole reason i hope MU doesn't make basketball decision on DD and trade him for mid lotto picks and projects.

and I hope Demar somehow magically learn to defend his man for gods sake!

A couple of inspirational posters soon to be released:

stooley wrote: View Post
                            could we say that hard work creates talent?
                            Hard work IS a talent

The connection of DeMar and Duncan between ball4life and myself - which is essentially what you said above in replied quote:

No question he is inspiring.

His talent hasn't brought him where he is, it is his work ethic.

However, and believe it or not I'm not slighting him, when you get a guy who is naturally talented and with a work ethic..... you have guys like Kobe, Jordan, Duncan.

So this whole discussion started about role players on the Spurs working hard to become system guys and if DD's work ethic could have that effect on teammates thus making him more valuable. I say no because he is not a generational talent. He'll be respected and admired but he by himself is not going to lead a franchise and make 14 other guys toe the line and follow his lead. Even this year everyone associated with the Raptors has acknowledged that Lowry is the leader of this team; Amir and DD are respected but Lowry is the man.

You chimed in with your opinion - which I agree with because DD is extremely talented but relative to the other all-stars and all-nba players, I'd have to disagree.

Apollo wrote: View Post
                            I would argue that DeRozan is extremely talented and he's where he is today equally due to talent an effort.

The biggest DD fan on the forum chimed in agreeing with your post when it is pretty sill/foolish to assume that DeMar or any NBA palyer is not talented (I actually 'liked' this post):

imanshumpert wrote: View Post
                            This. Pretty silly/foolish to say DeMar is not talented.

He just doesn't have the generational talent of a Kobe or LeBron. He has a very high level of talent though, and the effort he put into his game has allowed him to maximize it.

I clarified:

Tim Duncan also had/has generational talent.

That was my point.

DeMar does have talent but his work ethic has made him an all-star.

And clarified:

Everyone in the NBA has talent.

It is not difficult to see which players things just happen naturally for.

I don't consider DD to be in that "naturally" category.

That's all.

And clarified:

He has natural athletic abilities.

Is athleticism a skill/talent? I would say no but I'm happy to disagree.

Agreed there was mutual ground on DeRozan's talent:

I thought we both agreed he has talent?

My clarifications clearly were poor attempts on my part:

Apollo wrote: View Post

Another shot at clarification - albeit done on an iPad so probably another poor effort:

Exactly.

DeRozan wants to work and that work ethic has maximized his talent making him an all-star. A guy who came in to the league with no shot, no dribble, no play making skills worked his ass off and became an all-star. That is hard work, not talent. He still has an inconsistent shot overall, his dribbles are still weak, his play making has improved but still is sketchy.

I'm not seeing the panty bunching here. DeRozan is talented. His work ethic/character has helped him reach most of his potential. Guys like young and smith are more talented. Unfortunately they don't put the work in to their games like DD.....imagine if they did.

Essentially DeRozan is your honor roll student who works his ass off to be there. We all know someone (or we are) the honor student who didn't have to do jack shit to get there.... Hello nick young and jr smith.

Became a little frustrated:

I would suggest going back to 4156 and seeing how this conversation unfolded.

And now realize this has gone in circles because the original point of the discussion (go way back to post 4156 or to the top of this reply) is what I've been discussing and is long gone. It has come down to another pointless DD discussion because people look at the name writing the response versus reading what the poster is actually typing. 4 clarifications whereby poor choice of wording is acknowledged on my part and/or acknowledgement that DD is indeed a talented player.

To be concluded by:

imanshumpert wrote: View Post
                            Dude stop FUCKING throwing out insults and calling people homers.

Had zero issue with what you were saying (even though I don't agree with it) up until this.

No irrational DeRozan love here. No sir. None at all. Don't forget the original discussion started with explaining if DD could inspire role players in to perfect system guys like is done in San Antonio.

I haven't had a drink in over 4 years. I just might go get one now...... Nah.

Comment

• Yabadabayolo wrote: View Post
                              @mchappy wtf is your definition of talent
                              Anyone who can get paid hundreds thousands of dollars to millions to play a game.

Comment

• Joey wrote: View Post
                                We have a different definition of 'Talent'.
                                Joey we have a different definition of many things.

And that is cool.

Comment

Working...
                                X