Everything Derozan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
    I think he was using DeMar-hate, for one of the most loyal and hardest working players we've had, as a microcosm for this phenomenon.

I'd agree that the internet overanalysis and advanced stats have resulted in more hatred for own-players than we'd seen in the past. Oakley would have been eaten alive for his shooting.

Give me a break. Like no one that has played on this team has ever worked as hard or was as loyal as Demar, or any NBA player for that matter.

If there is one thing that maybe, possible, could contribute to this "demar hate" it is stuff like this.

100% unsupported claims that people causally pass off as though it trumps any sort of analytic available.

Comment

• Snooch wrote: View Post
      Give me a break. Like no one that has played on this team has ever worked as hard or was as loyal as Demar, or any NBA player for that matter.

If there is one thing that maybe, possible, could contribute to this "demar hate" it is stuff like this.

100% unsupported claims that people causally pass off as though it trumps any sort of analytic available.
      You so casually dismiss the 100s of reports attesting to his work ethic. Yes, there are plenty of gym-rats in the NBA, but at this point I think we can accept and celebrate that DeMar is one of them.

And newsflash, loyalty/commitment has been an issue for this team in the past.

Comment

I think he was using DeMar-hate, for one of the most loyal and hardest working players we've had, as a microcosm for this phenomenon.

I'd agree that the internet overanalysis and advanced stats have resulted in more hatred for own-players than we'd seen in the past. Oakley would have been eaten alive for his shooting.
        Even the hater angle is a bit mis-guided. I love everything about DeMar's off-court character. But he does play a selfish on-court game that dis-proportionately rewards him at the expense of the team. And DD's new-found reputation as a moderate winner has been aided by the recent infusion of talent (particularly the bench) that Masai has brought in. DeMar is awesome, but he's not perfect, and discussing those imperfections are fair game on a fan forum. That's part and parcel of the increased scrutiny that comes with more eyeballs (= more money for the athlete). If I'm an athlete, that would be a pretty small price to pay in relation to the hard compensation and fringe benefits that come with celebrity. Remember that the other thing that isn't like the old days is that these guys have media training, agents, life coaches and a myriad of other support structures to help ease the pain of a few nay-sayers.

What disappoints me about DeMar is that you would think that with his legendary work ethic, he should have developed at least a serviceable 3-pt shot by now. From what most good 3-pt shooters say (including DeMarre Carroll); 3-pt shooting is all about hard work and repetition. Either he's not focusing on it, not working hard enough, or he doesn't have the talent. After 6 years in the league, any of those reasons would be highly disappointing.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
          Even the hater angle is a bit mis-guided. I love everything about DeMar's off-court character. But he does play a selfish on-court game that dis-proportionately rewards him at the expense of the team. And DD's new-found reputation as a moderate winner has been aided by the recent infusion of talent (particularly the bench) that Masai has brought in. DeMar is awesome, but he's not perfect, and discussing those imperfections are fair game on a fan forum. That's part and parcel of the increased scrutiny that comes with more eyeballs (= more money for the athlete). If I'm an athlete, that would be a pretty small price to pay in relation to the hard compensation and fringe benefits that come with celebrity. Remember that the other thing that isn't like the old days is that these guys have media training, agents, life coaches and a myriad of other support structures to help ease the pain of a few nay-sayers.

What disappoints me about DeMar is that you would think that with his legendary work ethic, he should have developed at least a serviceable 3-pt shot by now. From what most good 3-pt shooters say (including DeMarre Carroll); 3-pt shooting is all about hard work and repetition. Either he's not focusing on it, not working hard enough, or he doesn't have the talent. After 6 years in the league, any of those reasons would be highly disappointing.
          When you don't grow up as a shooter, and DeMar didn't, it takes time and tens of thousands of shots, and then there's practice-focus and in-game focus. Carroll didn't break through as a shooter until he was 27 and I'm sure he was working at it too. As I keep saying, I think we can expect a late-bloom from DeMar as well.

When we saw DeMar take more 3s in 13-14, we saw that he was pretty capable. In 14-15 we saw him go back to shooting only out of necessity, at the end of the clock, well-defended. It definitely takes a shift to make the 3 a primary weapon when you and the team are so dependent other forms of attack, but I don't think it's as far off as people seem to think, especially when we know it HAS been the primary focus of this offseason.

Comment

• Contract and cap space issues aside for a moment, I guess the big question with DeMar is just how well you expect him to play (in a contract year). I'm definitely expect an all-star calibre performance, I think with good reason.

Assume I'm correct and DeMar plays great (ie better than 13-14) and the team is also successful (ie 50+ wins, gets past the first round)- what do you do with that? I think the options are to keep him around (trying for cap space elsewhere or not at all) or sell high and trade him (made difficult as a rental). I just can't see Masai letting him walk unless he shits the bed on the season (which, again, I wouldn't bet on).

If you're trading for an expiring, you better a damn good draft pick or two, which we're already a little overloaded with. So assuming DeMar plays well, what do you do if you're Masai?

Comment

• It's unfortunate that "loyalty" and "work ethic" are probably DeMar's two most frequently cited qualities. I'd prefer his best qualities to be basketball skills, personally.

But at least he is a loyal hard worker - unlike the other guys on the roster? Wait a minute...
              "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• Hard work is kind of important, both from a leadership and an individual improvement point of view. It's why I think we can safely bet on him having a great season. And I think it's a big reason why our team culture has improved so much.

Comment

You so casually dismiss the 100s of reports attesting to his work ethic. Yes, there are plenty of gym-rats in the NBA, but at this point I think we can accept and celebrate that DeMar is one of them.

And newsflash, loyalty/commitment has been an issue for this team in the past.
                  and most of these "reports" are nothing more than instagram pics etc. Social Media can really spin a wonderful yarn.

And since when has loyalty been an issue over the past 15 years, players leave teams, give me a break. Loyalty is worth nothing. zero, zilch.

Comment

Hard work is kind of important, both from a leadership and an individual improvement point of view. It's why I think we can safely bet on him having a great season. And I think it's a big reason why our team culture has improved so much.
                    sure, so now Demar is a big reason why our team culture is so good. Has less to do with stable management, coaching and an assembly of high character guys and much more to do with Demar...

So I guess instead of posts about Demar being highly skilled is not able to be overcome against all statistical counterpoints, so now the debate will be inherent value of his hrd work and loyalty.....

Where the hell is the roll eyes smiley....

Comment

• Snooch wrote: View Post
                      and most of these "reports" are nothing more than instagram pics etc. Social Media can really spin a wonderful yarn.
                      http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-...rs-into-battle
                      http://www.nba.com/raptors/features/..._derozan081114
                      http://www.sportsnet.ca/basketball/n...ans-next-step/
                      http://www.goodwinsports.com/2012/11...ns-work-ethic/
                      http://www.torontosun.com/2014/09/29...ff-for-derozan
                      http://www.thestar.com/sports/raptor...franchise.html
                      http://news.nationalpost.com/sports/...nized-contract
                      http://www.raptorsrepublic.com/2015/...demar-derozan/
                      I could go on.

I'm sure you'll write these off as fluff, but where are the stories on Ross's grizzled dedication and commitment to improvement?

And since when has loyalty been an issue over the past 15 years, players leave teams, give me a break. Loyalty is worth nothing. zero, zilch.
                      Tell that to the Spurs.
                      Last edited by SkywalkerAC; Fri Sep 4, 2015, 05:00 PM.

Comment

• Is this the new DD thread?
                        #JaysWinningLikeItz93'

Comment

• BS10 wrote: View Post
                          Is this the new DD thread?
                          Yes.

Comment

• Who saw Derozan dunk on Harden?

#JaysWinningLikeItz93'

Comment

• so one team in the history of the NBA that has been the best team of the past what 15 years??? sure....

And those are fluff pieces, a vast majority of them re from Raptor owned media outlets. lol.

What are they gonna write about with Demar...his dazzling ballhandling skills? nope, His wesome threepoint/jump shot, nope, his dazzling array of ingame dunks that consistantly has fans on their seats? nope.

But he works hard....ya know, hes a nice guy,

Like talking bout the fat chick your mate wants to set you up with....he's got a GREAT personality.....

Comment

• BS10 wrote: View Post
                                Is this the new DD thread?
                                No, that shit should be kept outta here....

Comment

Working...
                                X