Everything Derozan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
    It is still bullsh!t. I don't care who does it. It is a classic example of the individual putting themselves before the team.
    Who cares dude?

It has like 0 impact on outcome of the game. That shot will go in like 1 time out of 100 (I don't have the actual stats on it). If your team loses 99-97 you could say, "Damn if DeMar took that 1/2 court heave and made it we would've won." And you'd be wrong, because you don't know how the rest of the game would've played out had he made that shot.

At the end of the day it's a business. Hoisting up 15+ of those shots a year, even for a player that takes 250 threes could drop his 3P% from 40% to 38% or less. A few percentage points can be the difference between you being considered an elite shooter and a very good one. Could also mean millions in salary lost or gained on the next contract. It's not worth it just to give your team a pico-sized better chance of winning games.

Comment

• DeMar DeRozan is amazing.

Comment

• Xixak wrote: View Post
        Who cares dude?

It has like 0 impact on outcome of the game. That shot will go in like 1 time out of 100 (I don't have the actual stats on it). If your team loses 99-97 you could say, "Damn if DeMar took that 1/2 court heave and made it we would've won." And you'd be wrong, because you don't know how the rest of the game would've played out had he made that shot.

At the end of the day it's a business. Hoisting up 15+ of those shots a year, even for a player that takes 250 threes could drop his 3P% from 40% to 38% or less. A few percentage points can be the difference between you being considered an elite shooter and a very good one. Could also mean millions in salary lost or gained on the next contract. It's not worth it just to give your team a pico-sized better chance of winning games.
        so what you're saying is "yes, it is selfish". if a player thinks that way then im thinking what else is he doing or not doing throughout the course of the game that is strictly a benefit for him and a hindrance to the team? I got no respect for that, its about doing whatever you can to win a game, if that means shooting 5/10 instead of 5/9 so be it. There are good scouts in this league and generally they know if you can or cant shoot the 3 well

Comment

Who cares dude?

In 2007-2008, Rudy Gay took 18 threes 30 plus feet from the basket, 12 of those were from beyond 40 feet. The next year, he only shot 3, the whole year. Who do you think told him to stop hoisting up so many? No, not his mom, I'm sure it was his agent. For us it's our passion/obsession. For them it's a business first. We might not like it, but I don't walk in their shoes.

Comment

• I'm trying to think of a similar example in any other sport, where the individual's stat is given more weight than the team's (potential) benefit. I can't come up with one.

A quarterback taking a sack rather than throwing it out of bounds? Does that even happen?

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
              I'm trying to think of a similar example in any other sport, where the individual's stat is given more weight than the team's (potential) benefit. I can't come up with one.

A quarterback taking a sack rather than throwing it out of bounds? Does that even happen?
              Nobody would do that. Loss of Yards would be worse than just losing a down.

However, intentional grounding, is also a penalty. It really depends.

If you get sacked for like 5-Yards, which is rare, then sure, take the sack. Intentional Grounding is 10 Yard loss.

Hockey? Individual Goalie Stat >> team benefit? Hahaha. Higher their save percentage, the better the team? I dunno.

Comment

Who cares dude?

If it goes in it can have a big impact on the game. Points are points and you take them where you can get them.

I think this is yet another example of the generational gap in thinking combined with the realities of statistics impacting a players next contract. I'm always team first and clearly those who would even question this are not team first... Which is cool, to each his/her own

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
                  If it goes in it can have a big impact on the game. Points are points and you take them where you can get them.

I think this is yet another example of the generational gap in thinking combined with the realities of statistics impacting a players next contract. I'm always team first and clearly those who would even question this are not team first... Which is cool, to each his/her own
                  Doesn't have anything to do with not being team first. Taking that shot doesn't even help your team.

Comment

• Rapstor4Life wrote: View Post
                    DeMar DeRozan is amazing.
                    he certainly can be, when he wants to be..

btw..

DeRozan believes the extra elements cheapen the contest.

"I think a lot of people probably look at it like that. It seems that way when you watch it," he said. "This year I put thought into it. I practiced, had dunks ready and everything. It is what it is. I did it two years in a row. I'm good."

Asked if he would reconsider, DeRozan said he would only compete again if the All-Star Game is held in Toronto or if the rules are changed to eliminate props.
                    http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=6147372

Demar Derozan your 2016 slam dunk champion
                    If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

Doesn't have anything to do with not being team first. Taking that shot doesn't even help your team.
                      Just wrong. Not only do the points count if it goes in, but there is a huge momentum gain. Think if you are at home, and you hit the 40 footer at the close of the first quarter. There is only a quick break before the 2nd quarter starts and the fans will be going nuts that entire break. You don't think fan cheering impacts player performance? There have been studies that prove that playing at home in front of a loud crowd has a positive impact on player performance. Don't like studies? Then go play in front of a crowd cheering madly (you only need a small number in a small gym). It jacks you up, and that extra energy helps a lot in areas like rebounding.
                      Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• LBF wrote: View Post

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=6147372

Demar Derozan your 2016 slam dunk champion

... No bro. Wiggins will take the tittle.

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
                          I'm trying to think of a similar example in any other sport, where the individual's stat is given more weight than the team's (potential) benefit. I can't come up with one.

I don't understand why the NBA doesn't just stop counting Hail-Marys as 3PTA. They shouldn't count as 3PTA. Plus, it would give us a new category for fantasy ball!
                          "Stop eating your sushi."
                          "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
                          "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
                          - Jack Armstrong

Comment

• JimiCliff wrote: View Post
                            I don't understand why the NBA doesn't just stop counting Hail-Marys as 3PTA. They shouldn't count as 3PTA. Plus, it would give us a new category for fantasy ball!
                            It isn't counted as a shot in the NCAA, it's at the "scorers discretion".

The closest sports equivalent I can come up with is the sacrifice bunt in baseball. It's a negative play for the player, yet a positive for the team, so baseball doesn't use it to calculate a player's batting average. If baseball, the least progressive thinking sport, can get this, why can't the NBA?
                            Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• I've long been a DeMar skeptic, but damned if isn't playing like an all-star so far this pre-season. We haven't seen that 3PT shot come out, but:

- His footwork is awesome. Both in the post and on his drives, he's doing a bunch of little things perfectly right, and it's giving him more choices on offense. No more driving into a crowd and not knowing what to do, because his footwork has prepared him and prevented him from getting into that situation in the first place.

- He's picked up the James Harden style hesitation gather. I've now seen him do it a few times, against both the wolves and the knicks. The essence of the move is letting your dribble bounce up higher (by conventional wisdom a bad move, because it's easier to steal) while hesitating just a bit, and depending on how the defense reacts you either keep your dribble alive to keep probing or pick it up (starting your gather) quite a bit higher after the little hesitation, then use that to take your steps and slash to the hoop. Harden uses it all the time to keep defenders off balance; Ginobili uses it too, to great effect. You can see DeMar doing it against the Wolves at the 2:30 mark of this video.

Comment

• His game against Timberwolves was flawless for sure.
                                Official Pope of the Raptors sponsored by MLSE.

Comment

Working...
                                X