• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Puffer wrote: View Post
    Props from CBS Sports to Demar on his reverse dunk against Houston:
    http://www.cbssports.com/nba/blog/ey...ous-at-dunking
    Nice find Puffer!

CBSSports wrote:
    He caught a pass on the right wing, drove to the baseline against Chandler Parsons (one of the better perimeter defensive players at small forward), turned the corner on Parsons and then hit the Rockets with a reverse dunk. This was an incredibly difficult play, and he made it look like a layup.
    Slowly but surely, Demar is getting there boys.

Comment

• joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
      Nice find Puffer!

Slowly but surely, Demar is getting there boys.
      He is. He has really been a pleasant surprise. His development this year really is the exception to the 'rule'. If he can tighten up his defense..... well, that is just to exciting of a thought at work.

Comment

• I, for one, have pretty much been proven wrong about DeRozan so far. Didn't except him to play like someone who actually plays like someone you pay more than 6/7 million, but he does. At this point I'm not hoping, but expecting him and Lowry to improve their defense. Off-topic, but I think it's actually very benificial for Lowry to be watching these last two games from the bench and seeing what can be done with teamwork on offense and teamdefense.

Comment

• Soft Euro wrote: View Post
          I, for one, have pretty much been proven wrong about DeRozan so far. Didn't except him to play like someone who actually plays like someone you pay more than 6/7 million, but he does. At this point I'm not hoping, but expecting him and Lowry to improve their defense. Off-topic, but I think it's actually very benificial for Lowry to be watching these last two games from the bench and seeing what can be done with teamwork on offense and teamdefense.
          You for one and I for two.

Comment

• I still remain skeptical. DeMar was bad the past few years. He has improved, but improving something bad just makes it mediocre. He gets a lot of minutes, and is still a volume shooter, with a poor TS%, and isn't very clutch (and that just considers his offense). And unlike bigs you pretty much know what you are going to get with a wing after their 2nd or 3rd year.

My leash only extends as far as 3 seasons though.. I guess I'm being a bit harsh since he has shown improvements (which doesn't always happen).. but I'll remain skeptical until at least next season as that is when I expect his biggest leap.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
              I still remain skeptical. DeMar was bad the past few years. He has improved, but improving something bad just makes it mediocre. He gets a lot of minutes, and is still a volume shooter, with a poor TS%, and isn't very clutch (and that just considers his offense). And unlike bigs you pretty much know what you are going to get with a wing after their 2nd or 3rd year.

My leash only extends as far as 3 seasons though.. I guess I'm being a bit harsh since he has shown improvements (which doesn't always happen).. but I'll remain skeptical until at least next season as that is when I expect his biggest leap.
              The only bad season I re-call from Demar was last season, where all the different excuses were made, most of which very reasonable anyways. Other than that, his current year, rookie and sophomore years he's done what he's been asked. Improvement from year 1 to year 2 was a huge jump. Year 2 to Year 3, Demar became inconsistent, and only improved his outside capabilities. From last season to this season, there's no doubt he has jumped the board.

Rookie Year: Athletic Runner, use his athleticism to get in the passing lanes, and to get penetration to keep defenses honest. Check.

Sophomore Year: Bosh gone, someone needed to step up. It wasn't Bargnani, it was Derozan. A huge Point-per-game average from 8, to 17 points a game. Not to mention the mid-range jump-shot was his bread and butter, after not having any capability to shoot from ANYWHERE on the floor.

3rd Year: High expectations, and quite frankly, did not live up to it. He was inconsistent, with having 2 consecutive games of 20+ points, following the next 3-4 games with single digits. Not to mention that year was the most one-dimensional he's been. Although, he was a diamond in the rough with explosive numbers vs. New York, and New Jersey. Also had wonderful games vs. The Miami Heat.

4th Year: So far, has been a pleasure to watch. Grown in every aspect of the game. His ability to score now looks effortless with the different options he could go to; post-up, off the dribble, better % shooting from outside, and the constant penetration. Not to mention his defense has improved, and the ability to find people, get on the boards, and let the game come to him as improved significantly. Much more skilled, improved, MATURED player.

I don't know, Derozan isn't a real star, who makes the all-star game just after 3-4 years after being drafted, but he's working himself up there.
              Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

• RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
                The only bad season I re-call from Demar was last season, where all the different excuses were made, most of which very reasonable anyways. Other than that, his current year, rookie and sophomore years he's done what he's been asked. Improvement from year 1 to year 2 was a huge jump. Year 2 to Year 3, Demar became inconsistent, and only improved his outside capabilities. From last season to this season, there's no doubt he has jumped the board.

Rookie Year: Athletic Runner, use his athleticism to get in the passing lanes, and to get penetration to keep defenses honest. Check.

Sophomore Year: Bosh gone, someone needed to step up. It wasn't Bargnani, it was Derozan. A huge Point-per-game average from 8, to 17 points a game. Not to mention the mid-range jump-shot was his bread and butter, after not having any capability to shoot from ANYWHERE on the floor.

3rd Year: High expectations, and quite frankly, did not live up to it. He was inconsistent, with having 2 consecutive games of 20+ points, following the next 3-4 games with single digits. Not to mention that year was the most one-dimensional he's been. Although, he was a diamond in the rough with explosive numbers vs. New York, and New Jersey. Also had wonderful games vs. The Miami Heat.

4th Year: So far, has been a pleasure to watch. Grown in every aspect of the game. His ability to score now looks effortless with the different options he could go to; post-up, off the dribble, better % shooting from outside, and the constant penetration. Not to mention his defense has improved, and the ability to find people, get on the boards, and let the game come to him as improved significantly. Much more skilled, improved, MATURED player.

I don't know, Derozan isn't a real star, who makes the all-star game just after 3-4 years after being drafted, but he's working himself up there.
                Nice post Reuben. I completely agree.
                While his progress has been slow, and not entirely consistent, its certainly been evident.

Comment

• I would love nothing more for DeRozan to prove me wrong. He has definitely excelled, but I'm not drinking the kool-aid either. I like his work eithic, and his character. But as a talent - I'm hoping for more. As an example, his PER is only 14.7 which is below average. To say he has grown in every aspect of his game is troubling if he is still below average offensively.

This is his fourth season already so my patience is running out (I do acknowledge that he is only 23, but 4 years in the league is a long time for a wing especially with the minutes he has gotten).

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                    I would love nothing more for DeRozan to prove me wrong. He has definitely excelled, but I'm not drinking the kool-aid either. I like his work eithic, and his character. But as a talent - I'm hoping for more. As an example, his PER is only 14.7 which is below average. To say he has grown in every aspect of his game is troubling if he is still below average offensively.

This is his fourth season already so my patience is running out (I do acknowledge that he is only 23, but 4 years in the league is a long time for a wing especially with the minutes he has gotten).
                    You have to remember, that his strengths were basically his athleticism. He was extremely raw, he didn't have the many basic skills that superstars in the league came into.

Wade was a born star, Durant, Carmelo, LeBron, Bryant. These guys are players you don't find very often.

Guys like Joe Johnson, Luol Deng, Danny Granger, Andre Iguodala. These guys are the tier of wings I would put Demar in when it's all said and done, because unlike the stars who were born into very good wing players, these players were MADE into very good wing players. The names above took a while before they could really blow onto the scene as an elite wing player, compared to Durant, LeBron, Bryant, who were drafted basically as established stars.

There are players who are already stars, and there are players who work hard to get there. Patience is key if you want the work to be shown. I think people are underrating the time it takes to really work on one's game to become better, especially with the rawness Derozan came into the league with.

Comment

Guys like Joe Johnson, Luol Deng, Danny Granger, Andre Iguodala. These guys are the tier of wings I would put Demar in when it's all said and done, because unlike the stars who were born into very good wing players, these players were MADE into very good wing players. The names above took a while before they could really blow onto the scene as an elite wing player, compared to Durant, LeBron, Bryant, who were drafted basically as established stars.

There are players who are already stars, and there are players who work hard to get there. Patience is key if you want the work to be shown. I think people are underrating the time it takes to really work on one's game to become better, especially with the rawness Derozan came into the league with.
                      Amen. Preach it brother.
                      I'll just let you do the talking for me on this one. You seem to have it under control.

Comment

You have to remember, that his strengths were basically his athleticism. He was extremely raw, he didn't have the many basic skills that superstars in the league came into.

Wade was a born star, Durant, Carmelo, LeBron, Bryant. These guys are players you don't find very often.

+1 Reuben has it locked

Comment

• joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                          Amen. Preach it brother.
                          I'll just let you do the talking for me on this one. You seem to have it under control.
                          NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
                          +1 Reuben has it locked
                          Haha, thanks guys. I just feel too many people are rushing the expectations, shouldn't we all just be grateful his improved play has been a pleasure to watch? Not to mention, I feel his improved play has come faster than I expected. His ball-handling, the post-game, his knowledge of the game are at levels they never touched last season. Much better player than I expected.

Comment

• Demar has been a pleasure to watch this year. He still disappears for short stretches, but I put that on Lowry, to some extent, as he gets used to his team mates, and gets over his thinking that he has to save some games. With Bargs out, Davis in, a healthy Lowry and Fields about to return, I think you will see a more balanced team effort and I think Derozan will be even more effective.

Comment

• DeRozan is #1 in NBA at something.

Ranks #1 in the NBA in Minutes Played (1009)

Guess we can interpret this as him having one of the highest stamina in the league? Fitting for a gym rat. LOL

Comment

• omgsomuchpotential wrote: View Post
                                DeRozan is #1 in NBA at something.

Ranks #1 in the NBA in Minutes Played (1009)

Guess we can interpret this as him having one of the highest stamina in the league? Fitting for a gym rat. LOL
                                I think this is a really, really good way to sort of measure how hard Demar has worked from off-season till now. I mean, 1009 minutes is nothing to joke about, he's playing nearly a whole game.

I don't think I've ever seen Demar gassed on the court either, he rarely ever looks tired...

Comment

Working...
                                X