Everything Derozan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
    A lot of people (myself included) were against the DeRozan extension this season, but Chisholm attempts to give Colangelo the benefit of the doubt suggesting that this summer's free agent market is a thin one, with a lot of teams hoping to cash in. Once the majority of these teams come away empty-handed, Colangelo could step in by offering DeRozan to seemingly desperate teams.

http://www.tsn.ca/blogs/tim_chisholm/?id=419300

Not sure if I believe that Colangelo is this diabolical, but you never know...
    This is awesome, except, more often than not, it's Colangelo getting ripped off on trades because he is chasing the names. But I agree that the Rudy Gay trade has made DeRozan that much more expendable & he could be used as the primary trade chip to address our areas of need.

I'm also not that sure about Lowry either although I would assume his option will be picked up in the summer.
    “I don’t create controversies. They’re there long before I open my mouth. I just bring them to your attention.”

-- Charles Barkley

Comment

• Rapstor4Life wrote: View Post
      Gasol for Bargnani great go for it DeRozan for Gasol? Never.
      What if the trade nets us a first rounder in 2014? Something like Gasol + 2014 pick for Bargnani + DeRozan?

All of a sudden, the trade doesn't seem as one-sided with a massive expiring and a pick coming our way. I'm not sure if the Lakers would do it but they seem to not care about draft picks at all because they are under the assumption that they will finish top 5 every year.

Assuming this trade gets pulled off, what does it mean for the Raptors salary wise?
      End of next year (2014 off season)
      Gasol expires ($19.5M)
      Lowry expires ($6.2M)
      Amir is not guaranteed [$7M] -- although I would assume his contract will be picked up
      Gay has a player option [$19.3M] -- most likely, he will opt in
      Kleiza has been amnestied ($4.6M)
      Gray expires ($2.7M)
      Lucas III expires ($1.6M)

There is potential for cap space & lots of it if the Raptors decide to blow the whole thing up. Assuming no major changes, this leaves us with .... Jonas, Ross, Fields (expiring), Gay (expiring), Johnson (expiring) to work with + 1st rounders in the 2014 draft. This is the situation we can have NEXT off season which is a complete 180 change from what we are looking at now.

You can still package all of the expiring contracts for assets or re-sign them to a longer term contract at a lower $$$ value.

But even if you don't consider any financial impact ... basketball speaking, what is the net impact of removing DeMar and Bargnani, 2 players who have historically had +/- impact of 0 at best, for a more effective low post big who can rebound, pass and shoot mid range? At worst, the net impact is 0 because I can't possibly see Gasol being that bad if you play him down low.

For next season, you still have a line-up of ....
      Lowry, Ross, Fields, Gay, Gasol, Johnson, Valanciunas, Gay, Acy, Lucas + whoever filler you want ... and that line-up has much more balance between inefficient CAPABLE scorers and efficient RELIABLE players.

That line-up can still compete for a playoff spot (6-8 range) which is what our present line-up is destined to get anyway. So the impact for me, basketball wise, is immaterial but the impact financially is significant. The fact that 1 move can liberate the team from 2 long term contracts makes a big difference.

I do think that for a move like this to be made, Colangelo cannot be our GM moving forward. But I would applaud the new GM if his first move is somewhere among the lines of my proposal.
      “I don’t create controversies. They’re there long before I open my mouth. I just bring them to your attention.”

-- Charles Barkley

Comment

• Derozan should net us Milsap. Gasol would be terrible return for Derozan.
        The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

• enlightenment wrote: View Post
          Derozan should net us Milsap. Gasol would be terrible return for Derozan.
          Yep. If I were the Jazz I wouldn't mind getting Demar for Millsap, they have enough bigs and need a good wing player

Comment

• I was thinking something like DeMar and Bargs for Millsap and Alec Burks. Not sure if they would do it, don't know how high they are on Alec Burks

Comment

• NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
              I was thinking something like DeMar and Bargs for Millsap and Alec Burks. Not sure if they would do it, don't know how high they are on Alec Burks
              Not too sure they would let go on Burks. But, with a sign and trade to net Millsap, I feel Utah will want to include (and Toronto will have to take) Marvin Williams and his contract to bring in Millsap. That is if both DeRozan and Bargnani are traded.
              Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

• I wouldn't mind that. But our Wing Rotation will be stacked with talented players and i don't think Marvin williams will want to be glued to the bench.

Comment

• Cap means nothing if the team is losing we can never sign meaningful free agents, we had cap and we couldnt do anything with it. You have to have a direction to use Cap and an attractive history. Trading DeRozan for something short term like Gasol would have us starting back at rebuilding again soon especially if Gay doesnt stay.

Have to use precaution, DeRozan is up in the air for what you want to do with him but you dont want to let him go for something you arent going to be using for long or something uncertain.

Comment

• i would feel terrible sending demar to utah for 4 years but it needs to be done lol

Comment

• torch19 wrote: View Post
                      What if the trade nets us a first rounder in 2014? Something like Gasol + 2014 pick for Bargnani + DeRozan?
                      Wow this is even a worse idea than your precious one.

Comment

• Raptor_11 wrote: View Post
                        Yep. If I were the Jazz I wouldn't mind getting Demar for Millsap, they have enough bigs and need a good wing player
                        DeMar would be a good addition beside Gordon Hayward. Then the Jazz don't have to keep starting Randy Foye. Yikes.
                        Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

• I've decided I'm really against the idea of trading Demar this offseason. It seems like a needlessly hasty move, even for a guy like Millsap, who fills a need, but doesn't add that much talent to this team if the cost is Demar. It definitely brings better roster balance...but to a roster that looks nowhere near to contention, and would struggle to get there in the span of Millsap's next contract. I'm guessing 3 or 4 years....3 years might give him the chance to sign another multiyear deal for decent money when he's 31, and I think might be the kind of deal he'll look for.

Demar is a nice young player, on a somewhat acceptable contract despite how large it is, because it still makes him a very easy piece to build a trade around. I would keep him on the team until a real all-star became available, preferably a PG (but I'd take a PF). I'm not sold on Lowry, and starting to think I never will be, as the guy for this team going forward. If Demar is going to be moved, I'd like it to be for a piece that can be an important part of the long-term future of this team.

Comment

• iblastoff wrote: View Post
                            Wow this is even a worse idea than your precious one.
                            My first idea was Gasol + filler for Bargnani + DeRozan. How does a first rounder in 2014 make it any worse? Unless you're speaking from the Lakers' perspective, that is ...

-- Charles Barkley

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                              I've decided I'm really against the idea of trading Demar this offseason. It seems like a needlessly hasty move, even for a guy like Millsap, who fills a need, but doesn't add that much talent to this team if the cost is Demar. It definitely brings better roster balance...but to a roster that looks nowhere near to contention, and would struggle to get there in the span of Millsap's next contract. I'm guessing 3 or 4 years....3 years might give him the chance to sign another multiyear deal for decent money when he's 31, and I think might be the kind of deal he'll look for.

Demar is a nice young player, on a somewhat acceptable contract despite how large it is, because it still makes him a very easy piece to build a trade around. I would keep him on the team until a real all-star became available, preferably a PG (but I'd take a PF). I'm not sold on Lowry, and starting to think I never will be, as the guy for this team going forward. If Demar is going to be moved, I'd like it to be for a piece that can be an important part of the long-term future of this team.
                              Two undeniable facts that points to DD's IMMINENT move:

1. Ross and Fields ain't going away any time soon.
                              2. The duplication of style with Gay's game.
                              “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

• Balls of Steel wrote: View Post
                                Two undeniable facts that points to DD's IMMINENT move:

1. Ross and Fields ain't going away any time soon.
                                2. The duplication of style with Gay's game.
                                Exactly. Colangelo has to AT LEAST entertain offers

Comment

Working...
                                X