No announcement yet.

Everything Derozan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FG% increase is great, and the increased trips to the line are amazing. These are all things he should still be able to do with Bargnani in the lineup ... we just haven't seen much of a flow in them running as a tandem. SF or SG, either would be welcome
    The only way to bag a classy lady is to give her two tickets to the gun show... and see if she likes the goods.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
      I wonder if that was part of what BC said earlier in the season on, I believe, the FAN590 regarding more to being a professional than shooting in the gym.
      Maybe. I don't know if I heard the sound bite you're referring to but to me his shot isn't the only item which should be on the agenda, nor should it stop at body building.

Comment

• NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
        if you want scoring might as well bring calderon off the bench cause his shot is really off right now
        Calderon and Amir Johnson off the bench could be potentially very potent offensive options against 2nd units in the NBA. Also calderon's passing ability instantly makes us have a good 2nd unit. The best year that we ever had when we won 47 games ... we had a great bench ... and guess what Calderon was a back up PG. Time to start bayless add more offense to our 2nd unit by bringing calderon off the bench.

Also I can't believe there are so many Bayless haters on this forum. Bayless is stacked the guy scores 20+ pts and shoots a good percentage everytime we start him, plus he is a good on the ball defender.
        "Defense wins championships."

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post

First game the opposing coach sees the size mismatch and starts posting him up all night long you might change your mind.
          His problem is that his standing reach is a little low to match up with some of the taller SFs. That is an issue. Putting on 15 pounds won't help that. I just don't buy that 15 pounds is the difference between him playing the SF spot or not. Reach is the only issue I see being a consistent problem.

Comment

This is the problem. We're comparing him to the wrong players and we've set the bar about two levels too high. He's not like either of those guys. I would compare Kobe to Jordan and I would compare James to Magic. I wouldn't even sneeze DeMar's name into that class. LeBron and Kobe both could play PG, they're that good at handling the ball. DeMar isn't that kind of guard. He would be far better served being fed the ball on the fast break and in the paint. Eventually he will be a good catch and shoot player and at that point the only thing stopping him from being a superb SF would be a lack of effort or a lack of size.
            No disagreement here, I was just looking for two archetypal players: Kobe, who uses his clever shooting and ball handling to score, and James, who used his size and finishing ability. Demar is kind of at a point in his career where he can go either way. At the two, he has the height to be a killer on the block and once he fills out, he will likely also have the strength to finish through contact. The issue is his ball handling and thus far there has been no indication that he is getting better.

At the 3 his ball handling isn't such an issue but he loses the size advantage he has at the 2. I'm not sure, it's nice to have that big two guard out there making people pay on the blocks but if DD really can't get handles then he should be moved to the 3 in the role Apollo suggested: Transition and catch and shoot.
            "Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival."

-Churchill

Comment

The problem with that is his (Bayless) qualifying offer is $4M and if they don't extend it he's a UFA.
              I fail to understand why you believe this is a problem.

If the Raptors extend him the qualifying offer and no other team offers him more money, then the Raptors have an overpaid backup shooting/combo guard on the roster.

If the Raptors extend him the qualifying offer and another team offers him more money, then the Raptors have to decide whether it is better to let him walk or match the offer and then turn around and try to trade him to that team for something useful. I do not believe there is a high enough likelihood a team which is willing to overpay Bayless is also willing to trade something useful for the opportunity to overpay him. In my opinion, the Raptors would be likely to end up with an even more overpaid Bayless or with another problem which was acquired in the Bayless trade.

The Raptors can always try to trade Bayless at the trade deadline but the best case is a second round or another player with a different set of problems. Second round picks are a long shots and unlikely to become as good players as Bayless. I am not a proponent of moving your cheese for the sake of appearing to make progress.

Comment

• A qualifying offer can always be renounced.

Comment

Yeah, I've been a big supporter of the idea since the beginning of the season when a lot of people were backing up the bus to toss him under it. My only condition has been that for him to truly be effective there consistently he needs to pack on another 10 to 20 lbs of muscle. That would bring him in at around 230-240lbs range. I think he needs it for in the post on defense and for standing his ground on the glass; if he's playing SF for the Raptors he would need to focus on rebounding the ball more. Another thing, it only makes sense to move him there if they find a better SG prospect to add to the core. I don't think that will be too difficult, just look at the draft. DeRozan has been striking me as a forward in a guard's body for a year now. He needs to hit the weights hard this summer.
                  All true. What he gives up in height at the position he makes up with athleticism. I think at 230 he could make the jump easily. I've always thought about him as a forward too, and people always discounted his ability to defend the position. I never understood why--he has the ability to stay in front of bigger guys, now he just needs the weight for the post (and even now, he still can rely on his athleticism to get by defending and rebounding)

Comment

• Hugmenot wrote: View Post
                    I fail to understand why you believe this is a problem.

If the Raptors extend him the qualifying offer and no other team offers him more money, then the Raptors have an overpaid backup shooting/combo guard on the roster.

If the Raptors extend him the qualifying offer and another team offers him more money, then the Raptors have to decide whether it is better to let him walk or match the offer and then turn around and try to trade him to that team for something useful. I do not believe there is a high enough likelihood a team which is willing to overpay
                    This is the whole point. He's not worth $4M/yr and so this is why they should extend the qualifying offer. If they extend it then to retain his RFA rights and retain the right to match all offers then they actually need to sign a contract with him with that first year at $4M if they want to actually keep him. Why would they do that? It would make far more sense to not extend the offer, let him hit the market and compete with other teams courting him. At that point if some team offers more than they want to give then no big deal, they still have the cap space to spend on someone else.

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                    A qualifying offer can always be renounced.
                    They can but while they're waiting to do that they've frozen $4M in cap space. Not to mention if they extended the offer not in good faith then that's not going to bode well for them when Bayless' agent reminds his other clients about how he was treated by Colangelo and the Raptors.

IROR wrote: View Post
                    All true. What he gives up in height at the position he makes up with athleticism. I think at 230 he could make the jump easily. I've always thought about him as a forward too, and people always discounted his ability to defend the position. I never understood why--he has the ability to stay in front of bigger guys, now he just needs the weight for the post (and even now, he still can rely on his athleticism to get by defending and rebounding)
                    Yeah, and playing the forward spot(I hope) would keep him closer to the basket on offense because there would have to be a greater focus in rebounding. I like the idea of his game getting closer, not further away. I wish he would focus on building a strong mid range shot and forget about the 3 point shot all together.

Comment

A qualifying offer can always be renounced.
                      Are you saying the Raptors should extend a qualifying offer to Bayless with the intention of withdrawing it should no other team come forward and make a better offer?

Comment

This is the whole point. He's not worth $4M/yr and so this is why they should extend the qualifying offer. If they extend it then to retain his RFA rights and retain the right to match all offers then they actually need to sign a contract with him with that first year at $4M if they want to actually keep him. Why would they do that? It would make far more sense to not extend the offer, let him hit the market and compete with other teams courting him. At that point if some team offers more than they want to give then no big deal, they still have the cap space to spend on someone else.
                        So do we agree (a) the Raptors should not extend the qualifying offer to Bayless, and (b) Bayless at $2.5M per year may be a reasonable option?

Comment

• $2.5M/yr is very reasonable. I don't have any problem with him staying here I just don't believe he's good enough that they should protect his rights by extending the $4M qualifying offer.

Comment

• Hugmenot wrote: View Post
                            Are you saying the Raptors should extend a qualifying offer to Bayless with the intention of withdrawing it should no other team come forward and make a better offer?
                            No.

I'm saying the Raptors should extend the qualifying offer to keep their options open on him. He could be signed and traded elsewhere, he could sign an offer somewhere else and the Raptors not match, or the Raptors could pursue another free agent and renounce the offer should a better opportunity come along (whether guard, forward, or centre).

Comment

No.

I'm saying the Raptors should extend the qualifying offer to keep their options open on him. He could be signed and traded elsewhere, he could sign an offer somewhere else and the Raptors not match, or the Raptors could pursue another free agent and renounce the offer should a better opportunity come along (whether guard, forward, or centre).
                              Or Bayless could decide $4M is more than market value and sign the offer sheet before the ink dries.

The Raptors would have to honor that contract and they would be struck with an overpaid backup shooting/combo guard for one year or until they could trade him for another set of problems, whichever comes first.

If $4M is more than market value for Bayless, do you consider a 1-year contract at that price (before the free agent season is started) to be more of an asset or a liability?

Comment

• Okay, everybody relax. Nothing is wrong with Demar. What's wrong is our expectations that he might one day blossom into a 1st or 2nd scoring option. The fact is Demar is simply a developing player who at best is a third option on a championship team. That being the case I have no problem with where he is at today.

It is a great point that if he is a third scoring option then he needs to bring more to the table than scoring but looking at his age and his willingness to work hard on his game I think it's more likely than not that we will see him improve his rebounding and ball handling skills to the point where is can be a really effective SF or SG. Let's all just temper our expectations a bit here.

Comment

Working...
                                X