Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• theycallmeZZ wrote: View Post
    Not really...

Maybe he got rid of it to not compare himself to Kobe?

I'm just playin'. I really wish he kept it on though.

I mean, we need that Kobe/MJ-esque player in the league always!
    Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

• Those were some sweet handles

Comment

• Rick Pitino adopts new offseason approach

DeRozan is known as a champion of summer pick up ball. Perhaps that isn't a good thing according to Rick Pitino's view as he has outlawed it for his Louisville players figuring that bad habits form without the discipline of playing in the controlled environment at school.

"I said I don't want you playing pickup basketball, because that's how you regress," Pitino said. "I said I'd rather you play one-on-one basketball, with these rules -- games of five. If you play games of five you're playing hard on offense, hard on defense, winners come on. Play no more than that. Anything more than that, you start to break down, you don't guard, you don't have your hands ready, you don't play defense, you don't really get after it offensively. So I've given them certain things to follow -- improve your quickness, improve your strength and spend 45 minutes on your game each day."
        http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebaske...eason-approach

Comment

• stretch wrote: View Post
          DeRozan is known as a champion of summer pick up ball. Perhaps that isn't a good thing according to Rick Pitino's view as he has outlawed it for his Louisville players figuring that bad habits form without the discipline of playing in the controlled environment at school.

I agree, however, Demar has worked out individually with the Raptor's coaches at some different places, especially with a very important experience on the USA select team.

Everything a player does, will bring it's pros and cons. Pick-up ball can create bad habits, laziness, and low mindsets. Although, can create some confidence, put new things learnt in practice into game situations, and cardio.

We all know Derozan is an extremely hard worker, and that may be the difference of him to other pick up ball NBA players.

Comment

• stretch wrote: View Post

I agree in principle, but I still remember how horribly Pitino failed when he brought his NCAA coaching tactics to the NBA with the Celtics.

Comment

• Maybe, I need to see that mix-tape again, but the only positive I saw was his strength. Sure, he showed some handles but not enough to tell me that he improved. However, he seems to be strong enough now to absorb contact and drive through players, rather than away from them.
              -"You can’t run from me. I mean, my heart don’t bleed Kool-Aid."
              -"“I ain’t no diva! I don’t have no blond hair, red hair. I’m Reggie Evans.”

Comment

• Raptorsss wrote: View Post
                Maybe, I need to see that mix-tape again, but the only positive I saw was his strength. Sure, he showed some handles but not enough to tell me that he improved. However, he seems to be strong enough now to absorb contact and drive through players, rather than away from them.
                Other than, his 3point shot isn't the most awkward 3point shot in the league anymore?
                TORONTOOOOOO RAPTORSSSSSS

Comment

Other than, his 3point shot isn't the most awkward 3point shot in the league anymore?
                  That distinction still belongs to Shawn Marion....

Comment

• Is that... DeMar... PRACTICING HIS SHOOTING !%$@@%!%

Comment

Is that... DeMar... PRACTICING HIS SHOOTING !%$@@%!%

As a career 80% free throw shooter, and a 20% 3-point shooter, he probably needs to move back about 9 feet

Comment

• i just noticed that just shooting around all summer really helps a lot. All of my friends rarely played ball all summer and all i did was shoot around in the parking lot. When i got in the gym at school i was nailing everything i even surprised myself at how much my shot improved.

Comment

• At the end of the day, we all know how hard Demar works. It's nothing less of his character. The one knock on him is going to be his mindset.

I remember how well composed, and poised he was in his first two years, and this past season, I was extremely surprised to see him constantly having his head down, after a play doesn't go his way.
                          Now, he's not selfish, I've seen him shown some real emotion when the team is playing well, cause Demar really only cares about winning games. I just hope he can put in the hard work, with confidence and a strong mindset, and he will be a really good player.

Comment

• RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
                            At the end of the day, we all know how hard Demar works. It's nothing less of his character. The one knock on him is going to be his mindset.

I remember how well composed, and poised he was in his first two years, and this past season, I was extremely surprised to see him constantly having his head down, after a play doesn't go his way.
                            Now, he's not selfish, I've seen him shown some real emotion when the team is playing well, cause Demar really only cares about winning games. I just hope he can put in the hard work, with confidence and a strong mindset, and he will be a really good player.

Yeah, he was really pissed off at times...

I remember DeMar had tweeted something in anger and deleted it, and also there was that other time he threw a ball and got ejected. He also had a technical or two last year. Hopefully he can overcome this mindset.

Comment

• Hard work doesn't necessarily translate to excellence. I'll use the analogy of school, since NoProps sort of introduced the idea. A student can work really hard but still not get the mark. Going to class, keeping up with readings, studying; those are all good. However, if the strategy you have laid out is flawed, the results will simply reflect that. A student needs to be able to translate the hard work into results by developing a thorough understanding of the subject at hand. Identifying weak areas, focusing on details and analysis are all required components that contribute to success.

I just get the feeling that Demar, as much as he works, doesn't have the awareness and understanding that will allow him to translate his hard work into in-game performance. By this point, Demar should have already identified his weak areas in terms of skill set and he should already be focusing on the mental aspects; ie: what situations highlight his strengths, reading coverages, footwork, angles. However, the sad reality is, Demar, entering his 4th year in the league, can still be labeled as a 'prospect'.

I can't defend the guy by stating "last year's lockout affected his game because he had no supervision, no training camp." While there is much substance to that thought, someone as promising of a talent as Demar should not have been affected. Successful people have the ability to know what to do even in the darkest of situations.

Therefore, I have significantly lowered my expectations of him. No longer do I think he is a star in the making by any stretch of imagination. Rather, a solid starting wing, would be a better expectation.
                              “I don’t create controversies. They’re there long before I open my mouth. I just bring them to your attention.”

-- Charles Barkley

Comment

• NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
                                i just noticed that just shooting around all summer really helps a lot. All of my friends rarely played ball all summer and all i did was shoot around in the parking lot. When i got in the gym at school i was nailing everything i even surprised myself at how much my shot improved.
                                I had a knee replacement in the fall a couple of years ago. So I missed the basketball season in my old timers league. I rehabbed over the winter and then, in June, started going to the YMCA for light workouts and a little time on the gym floor shooting and moving laterally etc. I hit the gym a couple to three times a week all summer. By July I was moving at almost full speed and by August I was. When the season started in October, I was tearing it up for a while, till I got back into my bad habits. I realized that, though I'd been playing men's league and puffer league ball for 25 years, that had been the first time since leaving high school that I actually spent any time practising. Oddly enough, practice helps.

Comment

Working...
                                X