No announcement yet.

Everything Derozan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For shit sake, the team is 8-2, first in the East since forever, DeMar just had an excellent game, and the top topic this fine Sunday is shitting on DeMar. What's wrong with this picture? If that isn't enough, I see this endless crap has produced a handful of bans. Sickening that a fan site of this team has this going on.

I see there's a lot of discussion about downgrading DeMar to below Gordon Hayward, and as should be expected, "proven" by stats over the 1st 10 games of the season: (where DeMar's team is 8-2. Oh, did I mention that already? sorry).

IMO, comparing players who are playing within extremely different circumstances (covers a lot of context), based on these kind of numbers alone, is neophyte-to-the-game-ish. Numbers can help evaluate, but context is always important, so try not to dismiss every bit of context that others introduce to discuss the comparison you're making. Shouldn't have to say it, but there are many factors that influence raw numbers, but you guys know that, right?

The ironic thing is, this discussion is taking place immediately after a game between the particulars' teams, where DeMar's team won their 8th game, Hayward's team lost their 7th, and head-to-head, DeMar kicked Hayward's ass. You know what? The same thing happened the last time these guys went head-to-head, back in February. hmmm, head-to head. That brings up a thought.

A more significant fact, is that in between these games, they truly were working on equal footing this past summer with Team USA. When we speak of the coaches of that team, we're talking about of some of the best basketball minds in the world, not just stat analyzers. They worked with these guys for weeks, along with a bunch of other elite young players. These guys chose DeMar over Beal, Parsons, and *cough* Hayward.

Which do you think is a bigger indicator of how these two players compare? The opinion of Thibs, Coach K, and gang, when these two players went head-to-head, on totally equal footing, for weeks, or stats to date over 10 games, played under entirely different circumstances? Sorry, but just trying to put your stat comparisons, and conclusions, in perspective. The perspective of some of the top basketball minds in the world sort of humbles these stat "assessments", or shall we dismiss the assessment of Coack K and Thibs?

special1 may have pushed the limits, but he had a point about incessant riding of DeMar, and it seeming like a sore loser carryover from last year's "is what he is" camp failure. Not everybody is on here spouting the same stuff 20 times day, every day, for weeks, then has the gall to question other's intelligence, like one poster, but it's getting a bit much. Opinions are fine, until they form an ever present chant ringing in everybody's face. Some of us would like to enjoy the season, while enjoying the participation in adult discussion here. Is that a fair expectation? It's no fun when the same shit is ringing, endlessly, day after day. How can this be fun for you guys? You don't like him? Fine, you made your point, and EVERYBODY has heard, over and over. Is it too much to ask that it not be infesting almost every discussion, day after day?

This barely 25 year young man is continuing to develop before our eyes (anybody still complaining about his handles, btw?), is dedicated to this organization, and as one of the leaders, is infesting the team with extreme work ethic, the team is winning at a pace never seen before, and some can't stop complaining about DeMar and coach Casey. Don't know when this cancer started, but it's ugly.
    Last edited by chico; Mon Nov 17, 2014, 03:44 AM.

Comment

• MixxAOR wrote: View Post
      Welcome to RR

All I'm saying is: No one is lining up for Derozan. His value is similar to that of Rudy Gay. We got Rudy Gay for Calderon and Ed Davis.

We need real SF and real first option on offense.
      Rudy Gay pre Toronto and in Toronto was playing really bad basketball. That's why his value was low. Rudy Gay now is pretty great player. I'm a little skepitcal of his stats compared to Sac's offensive rating (which has been mediocre since he's been there).

But Sacramento just paid Rudy 40 million over three years.

Demar is younger and likely a better player than Rudy considering contextual factors (The Raptors are a better team, a better offense, Demar is the lead scorer, Demar gets to the line more (I value this more than most for a variety of reasons including my theory that getting to the line helps both your offense and defense in subtle ways).

Either way, I'm pretty sure even Demar skeptics like Zach Lowe have said that Demar have made large improvements in his game in the last year and his contract is now probably undervalued at this point. As a way to prove that, I guarantee you Demar opts out in 2016 and ups his annual salary by at least 50% (Taking him to over 13).

The market values his skills

Comment

• Can't disagree with chico. You've gotta have perspective and realize there's 82 games in the season, and even your best players are gonna have some crap ones. I'm not gonna flip out over a bad performance, nor am I gonna get too high(figuratively speaking) over a bad one. DeMar has shown nothing but hard work and improvement each year here, so I don't see why his season numbers won't rival that of last years or surpass them. I'll admit I shit on him from time-to-time if he is taking wild shots, but I cannot dismiss his work ethic and willingness to get better, which does seem to be infectious with the team.

Let's just be patient for a bit. 8-2 record with plenty of guys still trying to prove themselves is pretty darn good.

Comment

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
          Admins/Mods have had to remind posters about the forum rules in several threads this week. We will not tolerate the following:

- personal attacks
          - insults, excessive swearing/vulgarity
          - trolling
          - passive-aggressive shit disturbing
          - selectively targeting specific posters
          - moderating fellow posters

Please remember to be respectful to your fellow posters, no matter how strongly you disagree with them or how much you want to smack them. You can disagree, you can argue, you can jump up and down, but be respectful and don't attack the poster, just their opinion.

To keep this place respectful and as a reminder to all, 7-day bans will be handed out to any posters who continue to ignore the rules.

For a refresher of all forum rules: http://www.raptorsrepublic.com/forum...s-amp-Policies

Also, if you have an issue with another poster or an issue with the moderating, please feel free to PM any/all admins/mods, rather than airing a grievance publically.

Cheers,
          CRF
          First time I'm logging on since Friday, and half the community is banned, lol. You guys had a busy weekend!

Comment

• Also a first time poster, I find it funny that Demar played much much better during the World Cup compared to now. Does his effectiveness play better when he plays less minutes or given a definitive role? Is he given too much responsibility on this team? Does the fact that he plays up the "I love Toronto" angle make the fans and reporters less critical of him. Does a healthy work ethic excuse poor shot selection. I'll say Demar curling off a screen is really effective (hopefully the numbers support this) but iso plays when he isn't getting to the line tend to end up in a poor result. I believe Demar should play off Lowry and Valanciunas not the other around. Feed the young big because I believe his upside at centre is bigger then that of Demar at shooting guard.

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
              First time I'm logging on since Friday, and half the community is banned, lol. You guys had a busy weekend!
              Wait, who's banned? I usually don't read this thread, and I guess for good reason
              The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

• Atothe wrote: View Post
                Also a first time poster, I find it funny that Demar played much much better during the World Cup compared to now. Does his effectiveness play better when he plays less minutes or given a definitive role? Is he given too much responsibility on this team? Does the fact that he plays up the "I love Toronto" angle make the fans and reporters less critical of him. Does a healthy work ethic excuse poor shot selection. I'll say Demar curling off a screen is really effective (hopefully the numbers support this) but iso plays when he isn't getting to the line tend to end up in a poor result. I believe Demar should play off Lowry and Valanciunas not the other around. Feed the young big because I believe his upside at centre is bigger then that of Demar at shooting guard.
                Welcome to the Republic and thanks for adding another voice to the conversation!

Comment

• 007 wrote: View Post
                  Wait, who's banned? I usually don't read this thread, and I guess for good reason
                  Ahh, just a couple of the regulars. Looking up the girls skirts yet again. *sigh*

Comment

• Dr. James Naismith wrote: View Post
                    Ahh, just a couple of the regulars. Looking up the girls skirts yet again. *sigh*
                    That's for Premium Members only.

Or so I hear....

Comment

• Atothe wrote: View Post
                      Also a first time poster, I find it funny that Demar played much much better during the World Cup compared to now. Does his effectiveness play better when he plays less minutes or given a definitive role? Is he given too much responsibility on this team? Does the fact that he plays up the "I love Toronto" angle make the fans and reporters less critical of him. Does a healthy work ethic excuse poor shot selection. I'll say Demar curling off a screen is really effective (hopefully the numbers support this) but iso plays when he isn't getting to the line tend to end up in a poor result. I believe Demar should play off Lowry and Valanciunas not the other around. Feed the young big because I believe his upside at centre is bigger then that of Demar at shooting guard.
                      Attention is not on DeMar. Put it this way, DeMar was a 10th, 11th man on that team. He's the number 1 guy in Toronto. Two TOTALLY different scenarios. Less attention, less pressure.
                      Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                        Admins/Mods have had to remind posters about the forum rules in several threads this week. We will not tolerate the following:

- personal attacks
                        - insults, excessive swearing/vulgarity
                        - trolling
                        - passive-aggressive shit disturbing
                        - selectively targeting specific posters
                        - moderating fellow posters

Please remember to be respectful to your fellow posters, no matter how strongly you disagree with them or how much you want to smack them. You can disagree, you can argue, you can jump up and down, but be respectful and don't attack the poster, just their opinion.

To keep this place respectful and as a reminder to all, 7-day bans will be handed out to any posters who continue to ignore the rules.

For a refresher of all forum rules: http://www.raptorsrepublic.com/forum...s-amp-Policies

Also, if you have an issue with another poster or an issue with the moderating, please feel free to PM any/all admins/mods, rather than airing a grievance publically.

Cheers,
                        CRF
                        What did i miss?
                        Mamba Mentality

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
                          That's for Premium Members only.

Or so I hear....
                          Its overrated. You aren't missing anything.

Comment

• TRex wrote: View Post
                            What did i miss?
                            Snooze, you lose. Have to be on the forums 24-7 if you want to be up to speed with all the juicy drama.

Comment

• MixxAOR wrote: View Post
                              Welcome to RR

All I'm saying is: No one is lining up for Derozan. His value is similar to that of Rudy Gay. We got Rudy Gay for Calderon and Ed Davis.

We need real SF and real first option on offense.
                              Apart from Rudy not exactly burning it up in Mem. prior to the trade the reason for the low asset return was in large part due to his obscene contract.

Comment

• ReubenJRD wrote: View Post
                                Attention is not on DeMar. Put it this way, DeMar was a 10th, 11th man on that team. He's the number 1 guy in Toronto. Two TOTALLY different scenarios. Less attention, less pressure.
                                Thats the point i'm trying to make maybe he shouldn't be the #1 guy, right now that guy is Kyle Lowry without a doubt in my mind. I just wanna hear someone make a good point adeabatingt that Lowry isn't a better #1 option right now

Comment

Working...
                                X