Everything Derozan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hateslosing wrote: View Post
    I don`t get how anyone can be unhappy with Demar. all of his stats are up this year and he has visibly improved on defense. I think people forget how poor he was on defense and don`t see how far he`s come. His handle` which is his biggest weakness is better and he has learned to hide it by playing more back to the basket. I think some Raptors fans are so used to failure that they can`t see what they have.
    +1

Comment

• Balls of Steel wrote: View Post
      If the work ethic translates into better dribbling and defence then I'm all for Demar. Until that happens, the jury's out. In the last loss to GSW, Klay Thompson carved him a new one. Don't get me wrong, he's a great kid but he loses the ball too much and simply cannot adequately defend his position.
      Um...no. To say that Thompson 'carved him a new one' is unfair. GSW set screen after screen to free up Thompson for threes .... if Demar gets no help, time for recovery or team rotation, that's a team D problem, and perhaps even a problem with coaching.

I see Demar constantly improving in all areas ... he knows his weaknesses and if he's seeking out assistance from one of the best one-on-one defenders in league history, I'll consider that another positive step.

I'm not ready to give up on him just yet ... quality guy on a not so quality team. Tony Allen or Thabo do not make the Raps a winner. So I guess you're right ... jury's out, but they're leaning towards acquittal.

Comment

• I don't think anyone is complaining about DeRozan's work ethic.

It's just that the results leave a lot to be desired. I see a lot of people praising his "improvements". But he went from "completely awful" to "mediocre". Yeah he's improved, but he's still well below what he need to be.

IMO, DeRozan needs to significantly improve his shooting (both mid-range and 3-point), ball-handling, rebounding, defence....and most importantly, his consistency. 34 points is nice, but when you follow it up just 42 total points over your next 3 games, that's big a problem. Teams cannot rely on players who don't perform the same way night in night out.
        Last edited by Nilanka; Wed Mar 6, 2013, 10:35 AM.

Comment

• Inconsistency is the issue.

If DeMar was consistent I would give him my Raptor heart.

It is very difficult not to be impressed by the article.

Work ethic and desire plus the commitment to see it through are rare attributes especially once (with proper management) money is set for life.

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
            I don't think anyone is complaining about DeRozan's work ethic.

It's just that the results leave a lot to be desired. I see a lot of people praising his "improvements". But he went from "completely awful" to "mediocre". Yeah he's improved, but he's still well below what he need to be.

IMO, DeRozan needs to significantly improve his shooting (both mid-range and 3-point), ball-handling, rebounding, defence....and most importantly, his consistency. 34 points is nice, but when you follow it up just 42 total points over your next 3 games, that's big a problem. Teams cannot rely on players who don't perform the same way night in night out.
            couldn't agree more... especially the shooting and ball handling part.. i'm not particularly unhappy with derozan... and if he was playing with an upper echelon playmaker, and some above average perimeter players, he'd almost be fine the way he is... but as the team is now, he's going to have to develop skills that complement lowry and gay.. or else he becomes redundant

even the great MJ needed ball handlers and shooters

Comment

• heinz57 wrote: View Post
              couldn't agree more... especially the shooting and ball handling part.. i'm not particularly unhappy with derozan... and if he was playing with an upper echelon playmaker, and some above average perimeter players, he'd almost be fine the way he is... but as the team is now, he's going to have to develop skills that complement lowry and gay.. or else he becomes redundant

even the great MJ needed ball handlers and shooters
              Agreed. Colangelo is just as much to blame for his construction of an imbalanced roster.

Having said that, the best improvement in DeMar's game to me has been his willingness to mix it up in the post. He's got a strength advantage, and a leaping advantage against a lot of opposing SGs. I just wish he spent more time down there, instead of settling for the dreaded long twos (i.e. the lazy player's best friend).

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
                I just wish he spent more time down there, instead of settling for the dreaded long twos (i.e. the lazy player's best friend).
                the problem is, playing with lowry and gay... and assuming bargs is not in the future plans of the team, those long twos are the shots that SHOULD be available to him... and he's just not the guy to hit them

on the bright side, developing that aspect of his game isn't out of the question... it just isn't there right now.. so right now, he's redundant

one thing i've noticed... and mind you, this may be absolutely fabricated in my own head... as i have no intention of looking at box scores to confirm anything... just stating my own observation, which i'll admit may be wrong...

when Gay is having an off game... Demar also has an off game... because they play the same offensive game against the same defense... they complement each other horribly... that's not to say they aren't both top notch players, they are... but they're two left feet

Comment

• If the Raptors had more movement in their offense I don't think Gay and DeRozan are redundant.... ideal? No. But not redundant.

Getting the ball moving shifting the defense and creates openings.

Right now slashers have a hard time slashing because the offense doesn't allow lanes to open.

The ISO plays end up being forced shots because the D can pack the key.

It is not that simple but it is part of the problem.

I hate offense that is JUMP SHOT. JUMP SHOT. JUMP SHOT. JUMP SHOT. Great when they fall but when they don't welcome to 5-8 minute field goal scoring droughts.

Comment

• heinz57 wrote: View Post
                    the problem is, playing with lowry and gay... and assuming bargs is not in the future plans of the team, those long twos are the shots that SHOULD be available to him... and he's just not the guy to hit them

on the bright side, developing that aspect of his game isn't out of the question... it just isn't there right now.. so right now, he's redundant

one thing i've noticed... and mind you, this may be absolutely fabricated in my own head... as i have no intention of looking at box scores to confirm anything... just stating my own observation, which i'll admit may be wrong...

when Gay is having an off game... Demar also has an off game... because they play the same offensive game against the same defense... they complement each other horribly... that's not to say they aren't both top notch players, they are... but they're two left feet
                    But are they? I thought when Gay was traded to Toronto that he wouldn't be able to play alongside Demar because of how similar their games are, but I've noticed the defense focuses on Gay SO much that Derozan can score at ease. It makes up for Gay's off-games. It's awesome having 2 guys that can score, I just wish one of them could hit the open 3 (-_-)

Comment

• Raptor_11 wrote: View Post
                      But are they? I thought when Gay was traded to Toronto that he wouldn't be able to play alongside Demar because of how similar their games are, but I've noticed the defense focuses on Gay SO much that Derozan can score at ease. It makes up for Gay's off-games. It's awesome having 2 guys that can score, I just wish one of them could hit the open 3 (-_-)
                      Rudy is more than capable of hitting the open three. BUT he doesn't! We NEED THAT MAN.
                      Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

• RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
                        Rudy is more than capable of hitting the open three. BUT he doesn't! We NEED THAT MAN.
                        He and Landry better fix their shots this summer. Imagine if they were netting 35% or better

Comment

He and Landry better fix their shots this summer. Imagine if they were netting 35% or better
                          Exactly.

Comment

• TRex wrote: View Post
                            I don't care about character or work ethic. At the end of the day i want to see results. This is DeRozan's 4th year in the league now, and yes his mid range game is much improved. But other than that? he's still the same player.

As for Payton's "he can be an all-star" comment. Alot of people said the same thing about Bargnani early in his career. Well?

Just to quote a fellow poster in this forum: "DeRozan's a one dimensional player and he's one dimension isn't even that good"

Not shitting on the guy but it's true. DeRozan's got a great work ethic, that's great but at the end of the day you gotta have the skills too. Bargnani got a lot of skills but he doesn't have the work ethic of a DeRozan. You know what i mean? to be a star or an all-star in this league, you gotta have BOTH.
                            is this a joke post?

Comment

• phez wrote: View Post
                              is this a joke post?
                              Yeah, he just contradicted his original statement with the last paragraph.

Comment

They have both shown an ability in the past.

Hopefully they can regain their form this off season.

You put Fields, Ross, and Gay out there shooting over 35% from 3 and suddenly things are going to open up.... and just imagine some movement gets put in to the offense!

Comment

Working...
                                X