Everything Derozan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Axel wrote: View Post
    Still better than DD, but yes, Reggie hasn't yet proven to be a capable perimeter shooter.
    shooting 4 per game this season, its showing improvement, unlike he who shall not be named

Comment

Isn't that the definition of a treadmill team?

Too good to get good picks but not good enough to make a serious run.
      http://youtu.be/dxbb5RcqpZM
      MeDar ReDozan

Comment

• JWash wrote: View Post
        If the coaching staff had a problem with these things (more specifically Casey) they could change it or yank him for it, but they don't. So clearly there is some agreement on the methods the team is using. DD isn't just going out there and ignoring instructions lol.
        yup, casey is coaching for his job, that is a given, but Demar has always been allowed to do whatever he wants with no reprimand....that is bad....but I doubt casey is drawing up isolation plays for demar to do a two dribble offbalance fadeaway 23 footer with 15 seconds on the clock and no rebounders in place.

And I doubt the coaching staff is telling everyone including demar to ignore all advanced metrics regarding his offense and stick with his current playstyle.

Comment

• Snooch wrote: View Post
          he is the third best player on our team. we arent championship material.
          Obviously that would depend on who the 1st and 2nd best player on the team are... I didn't think I needed to state that specifically, should've been quite clear. Without superstar talent you're not winning anything in this league. We don't have one so it's a moot point.

Comment

yup, casey is coaching for his job, that is a given, but Demar has always been allowed to do whatever he wants with no reprimand....that is bad....but I doubt casey is drawing up isolation plays for demar to do a two dribble offbalance fadeaway 23 footer with 15 seconds on the clock and no rebounders in place.

And I doubt the coaching staff is telling everyone including demar to ignore all advanced metrics regarding his offense and stick with his current playstyle.
            Well our team runs almost the most iso ball in the league. We are near the top of the league in shots attempted while closely contested, shots attempted after 6+ dribbles, pull-up shots attempted, unassisted shot attempts, etc. So it does seem like it's our offensive gameplan to look for 1 on 1 opportunities and try to exploit them. I mean even when we get the ball to JV it's not like it's out of great ball movement, it's usually just a dump to the post and iso.

I don't think DD is deciding the offensive gameplan for the team. Obviously Casey is not drawing up plays for offbalance fadeaways, but if the gameplan is to just ask guys to go out there and manufacture baskets those are the kind of results you can expect. I mean even OKC had issues with taking horrible shots under Brooks because of the same strategy and they arguably have 2 of the top 5 players in the league.

Comment

• I really don't understand peoples burning desire to try and chop down Demar at every opportunity. I just don't get it.

I personally think Demar has proven himself to be more than just an empty-chucker, and am kind of disappointed people are still acting like he is. BUT I also know I will never change any minds about Demar on this board, so no point losing sleep over it.

Comment

Have you not listened to almost any Casey interview? Those are "Demars shots" and if he "doesn't shoot it, he'll be benched".

Comment

Obviously that would depend on who the 1st and 2nd best player on the team are... I didn't think I needed to state that specifically, should've been quite clear. Without superstar talent you're not winning anything in this league. We don't have one so it's a moot point.
                  dont need SUPERSTAR talent to win, you need a collection of above average players who all can compete and play their roles to a t.

I dont think it is a moot point persay, as you stated that he can be the thrid player on a championship team. Add him to OKC and their title hopes get better, yup, but he is 4th best player on that team.

He is third best on our team, and we are treadmilling.

Comment

Well our team runs almost the most iso ball in the league. We are near the top of the league in shots attempted while closely contested, shots attempted after 6+ dribbles, pull-up shots attempted, unassisted shot attempts, etc. So it does seem like it's our offensive gameplan to look for 1 on 1 opportunities and try to exploit them. I mean even when we get the ball to JV it's not like it's out of great ball movement, it's usually just a dump to the post and iso.

I don't think DD is deciding the offensive gameplan for the team. Obviously Casey is not drawing up plays for offbalance fadeaways, but if the gameplan is to just ask guys to go out there and manufacture baskets those are the kind of results you can expect. I mean even OKC had issues with taking horrible shots under Brooks because of the same strategy and they arguably have 2 of the top 5 players in the league.
                    Casey has said many times that you have to coach to your players strengths. He coaches to demar shooting offbalance long twos.

Comment

• Joey wrote: View Post
                      I really don't understand peoples burning desire to try and chop down Demar at every opportunity. I just don't get it.

I personally think Demar has proven himself to be more than just an empty-chucker, and am kind of disappointed people are still acting like he is. BUT I also know I will never change any minds about Demar on this board, so no point losing sleep over it.
                      I feel you man it's tiring. I think people are more frustrated that the team isn't elite and just looking for someone to blame it on. The reality is the team isn't elite because 1.) We don't have a superstar and 2.) We don't have elite coaching which could possibly make up for the lack of a superstar (and in some cases that isn't even enough, Atlanta is below us in the standings atm).

Stick LeBron on this team and all of a sudden a lot of complaints would fade into the distance. But it's a lot easier said than done. We're basically complaining that our Honda Civic can't win a Formula One race.

Comment

Have you not listened to almost any Casey interview? Those are "Demars shots" and if he "doesn't shoot it, he'll be benched".
                        Sure, he will bench Demar.

lol

But like in the post previous, Casey himself has said you need to coach to your players strengths. Obviously he feels that is Demars best, to play isobasketball,.

Comment

I really don't understand peoples burning desire to try and chop down Demar at every opportunity. I just don't get it.
                          Two way street though Joey. People keep trying to prop him up to be more than he is, which gets a retort; or vice versa.

He is still mostly a scorer. His per game figures in other stat categories get ballooned by his usage, which is way above what he should be getting. Yes, he is doing what Casey wants by taking those bad shots and going ISO in the 4th Q, but that doesn't change the fact that they are bad shots and bad decisions.
                          Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Casey has said many times that you have to coach to your players strengths. He coaches to demar shooting offbalance long twos.
                            DeRozan's strengths are driving, drawing fouls, drop-off passes, post-ups and possibly catch and shoot corner 3s.

Idk how long-twos are his strength. They're something he takes because he can't consistently get good shots at his usage rate because he's not a superstar player. And FWIW he's taking a lot less long 2s this year with shots from 16-23 feet making up 22.9% of his attempts compared to 33.8%, 36.2% and 36.5% the last 3 seasons. Problem is he's shooting like trash from there this year (29.9%, when he's usually in the high 30s).

Now he's taking about the same % of shots from 3-10 feet as he is from 16-23 feet when he had previously been taking about half as many. So that's good. He's also shooting shots at the rim at the highest rate since Casey became HC and drawing fouls at a career high rate as well. Idk if he can pick his 3PT% up to high 20s, maybe 30 ish and get his 16-23 feet back up to the mid-high 30s this might be a career year for him in efficiency because his shot selection is actually better.

Comment

Two way street though Joey. People keep trying to prop him up to be more than he is, which gets a retort; or vice versa.

He is still mostly a scorer. His per game figures in other stat categories get ballooned by his usage, which is way above what he should be getting. Yes, he is doing what Casey wants by taking those bad shots and going ISO in the 4th Q, but that doesn't change the fact that they are bad shots and bad decisions.
                              I'm not seeing this. It seems like the only guy really overvaluing DeMar is Christian who for the most part says nonsensical things on every Raptors related topic (I mean the guy values Biyombo more than JV for pete's sake). Most people appear to have any where from moderately positive to negative views on DeMar here.

I don't see anyone saying he's a superstar in this league, or anyone saying he's definitely worth the max or he's the best player on the team except for a Christian and maybe special1 when she's on here.

Comment

I'm not seeing this. It seems like the only guy really overvaluing DeMar is ChristianL who for the most part says nonsensical things on every Raptors related topic (I mean the guy values Biyombo more than JV for pete's sake). Most people appear to have any where from moderately positive to negative views on DeMar here.
                                Yet you are the one who called him a 20-5-5 guy....
                                Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Working...
                                X