Everything Derozan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• special1 wrote: View Post
    I actually agree with most of your other points. However, calling posters clowns is why you don't get taken seriously.

The truth is JV sits because of his defense. I'm not making this up at all. Thanks for your opinion. However, I disagree. He's not a good defender at all. He's slow (can't step out and defend - gives up wide open shots) and doesn't really protect the rim good enough. He sits for a reason. I like JV, but I can admit that he has a ways to go before being called a good defender. Fell free to disagree lol
    While you are right about him sitting due to his defense, its not really because he's a "scrub" or "not a good defender at al".
    Casey's system requires all players to be mobile and switch. A lot. For a guy like JV, its unrealistic to ask him to switch constantly when he should just hunkered down in the post. But because of the system, he does not generally work. Given the proper system, JV would be a fantastic defender.

But this is not the JV thread. So lets end that discussion here please.

Comment

• blackjitsu wrote: View Post
      I'm not sure what the answer is. But in the current system Demar is underpaid -- he's better than Jrue Holiday, Chandler Parsons, etc. Maybe the issue is that they are overpaid. Nevertheless, the market will determine what he gets paid not us. Coaching does matter, or rather system does, but that's getting in to boring semantics. My point was that ideally, the teams capable of getting multiple stars to settle for 18-20 mill will be the successful ones. Hopefully no Raptor breaks 20 mill, but I don't see how trading Demar resolves the issue. It may delay the problem by a year but then Lowry and JV come up. And if the team gets worse due to the trade then the team is cornered on a free agent market where the players suddenly can demand over 20 mill easy.
      Star won't settle for 18M, Today Stars get 25M because that's the Max when the cap increases Star will get 40M if the mid-level goes to 10M then Mid-levels will get around that or a little more on teams with space. Most of the money will end up paying superstars not second tier guys.

Comment

• Joey wrote: View Post
        But would any trade partner not have the same concerns about resigning him in a year? Not sure they'd be willing to give anything of value for a 1-year rental of an inefficient chucker.
        There are a number of teams for whom DeRozan would be a significant upgrade at shooting guard. And they may feel that either their system/coaching can breed the chucker out of him, or they may feel that they have problems generating points from DD's position, and they want an allStar who can generate points and get to the line on demand.

At least, that's what I hope, because I think the smartest thing for us is to trade him ... just like it may be smart for another team to acquire him.

Comment

• Kuh wrote: View Post
          There are a number of teams for whom DeRozan would be a significant upgrade at shooting guard. And they may feel that either their system/coaching can breed the chucker out of him, or they may feel that they have problems generating points from DD's position, and they want an allStar who can generate points and get to the line on demand.

At least, that's what I hope, because I think the smartest thing for us is to trade him ... just like it may be smart for another team to acquire him.
          He's a trade deadline rental to a playoff team. But then again so was Lou

Comment

• blackjitsu wrote: View Post
            No doubt, but that's not what Demar's agent is going to say. Sometimes staying healthy is a skill.
            Wasn't he injured this year?

Isn't that why he dropped off from last season?

I can't keep up with the changing rationalizations.

Comment

• If a reason to trade demar is because he's gonna take 20+ mill after being named an allstar etc, why is no one calling for jv's head too. He will also be commanding 20+ mill.

As he is just as likely to get the max as he's a rfa and is pretty much guaranteed to get overpaid. Huge double standard IMO
              I'm back. I no longer worship joe johnson

Comment

• Joey wrote: View Post
                But would any trade partner not have the same concerns about resigning him in a year? Not sure they'd be willing to give anything of value for a 1-year rental of an inefficient chucker.
                Different teams have different needs and different styles and different levels of talent.

DD doesn't fit Toronto. Doesn't mean he doesn't fit another NBA team.

Comment

• mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
                  Wasn't he injured this year?

Isn't that why he dropped off from last season?

I can't keep up with the changing rationalizations.
                  Umm demar has been injured one year, while jrue can't even get on the floor for a couple years now...

There's actually a differnce
                  I'm back. I no longer worship joe johnson

Comment

• I_Worship_Joe_Johnson wrote: View Post
                    If a reason to trade demar is because he's gonna take 20+ mill after being named an allstar etc, why is no one calling for jv's head too. He will also be commanding 20+ mill.

As he is just as likely to get the max as he's a rfa and is pretty much guaranteed to get overpaid. Huge double standard IMO
                    This has been discussed numerous times.

Comment

He isn't better than a healthy Jrue Holiday.

2 seasons of injuries have really clouded opinions on him.
                      You do realize that Jrue Holiday is an even more inefficient scorer than DeRozan right? 49.6 TS% in the year he made the all-star team. 0.55 WS/48. High assist rate but only 2:1 AST%/TO%. 99oRTG, 107dRTG. This is his all-star season I'm talking about.

I think your own bias has clouded your opinion of DeMar. He's a better player than Jrue (even at his best) by basically every metric. Toss in the fact that he can actually stay healthy, and he plays a position where all-star level players are less common and it's not even close. Stop.

Comment

Umm demar has been injured one year, while jrue can't even get on the floor for a couple years now...

There's actually a differnce
                        At the time of jrue's contract extension and trade he didn't have any injury concerns.

Emotions cloud posts with some, not all, when it comes to DeMar.

Comment

This has been discussed numerous times.
                          Enlighten us please, cause every time I bring it up it gets dodged. Even in that thread I made about people being able to like DeRozan and JV at the same time.

Comment

At the time of jrue's contract extension and trade he didn't have any injury concerns.

Emotions cloud posts with some, not all, when it comes to DeMar.
                            Read my above post. Jrue's best season (2012-13) is not even comparable to DeMar's (2013-14), and is not even as good as the season he had this year either.

Comment

If a reason to trade demar is because he's gonna take 20+ mill after being named an allstar etc, why is no one calling for jv's head too. He will also be commanding 20+ mill.

Because JV is an RFA and a C who despite Casey do command that much. Free agent SG who can't shoot or defend can be had for less than 20M

Comment

• Ahh the twitter verse...a couple of sentences can turn the world on fire. I'm not at all surprised that a report like this has surfaced, but it's probably nothing more than speculation. But of course Demar is going to seek the max and why wouldn't he? Is he worth it? Of course not, and I'm sure he and his agent will find that out in due time. But even if there is some substance to the report, it may be nothing more than an attempt to elevate his value. By saying he wants the max, perhaps he is more likely to get a large contract, but something more reasonable. I really don't see any team paying him the max or close to it. Unless there is a young team that is under the cap and severely deficient at SG, they may be willing to throw that type of money at him if they think that's what it would take to get him. But any team that is actually trying to compete will not want to tie up such a large percentage of the cap for a player of Demar's caliber. Demar would have to have an amazing upcoming season to actually deserve that type of coin. He would have be a better playmaker, shooter, 3pt shooter and defender in order to demand that type of money. His game would have to improve significantly IMO in order for him to get that. Maybe I'm way off here, but his deficiencies and limitations, I'm sure, are well known across the league. That max contract is reserved for guys that can carry successful teams, and he isn't that good as we all know.

In any event, his looming contract situation isn't a very good reason to trade him. There are reasons, and if there is a good return on the table, that includes picks/prospects than it may make sense. But just because he qualifies for a 25M max isn't a good reason. Just cause there are whispers he may ask for that amount of money isn't a good reason. I'm perfectly fine with seeing how he performs this season. He may actually earn a contract around the 20M mark, but I have my reservations about that too. And if he can get that somewhere else, then fine, let him walk. This whole idea that we got to trade him or he may leave for nothing is BS IMO. Let him go if he is too expensive and thank him for his service and wish him all the best going forward.

Comment

Working...
                                X