View Poll Results: Grade Derozan's Season.

Voters
67. You may not vote on this poll
  • A

1 1.49%
  • B

18 26.87%
  • C

40 59.70%
  • D

8 11.94%
  • F

0 0%
Page 131 of 230 FirstFirst ... 31 81 121 129 130 131 132 133 141 181 ... LastLast
Results 2,601 to 2,620 of 4599

Thread: Everything Demar Derozan

Raptors Republic Superstar Rapstor4Life's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

So DeMar is beasting right now for 4 straight games (including Scrimmage) smarter player taking people off the bounce now (seriously how much does he ever do that?) Finishing through contact even going strong to poster players very impressive getting to the line. A threat from deep if set. DeMar DeRozan you are the man!

Yes he still doesnt rebound amazing or ast well but he is at least attempting to now defense can still get better.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Xixak wrote: View Post
    Agree with the crowd part.

Wait let me put it this way. 99% of the time taking that shot doesn't help your team. Better?
    And 100% of the time it doesn't hurt your team, so take the shot. If it goes in, those 3 points and the momentum might mean the difference in the game. To not take the short is stupid and selfish.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Axel wrote: View Post
    And 100% of the time it doesn't hurt your team, so take the shot. If it goes in, those 3 points and the momentum might mean the difference in the game. To not take the short is stupid and selfish.
    Actually it's not really stupid at all, considering the significant effect taking those shots can have on your shooting percentages, and eventually your next contract.

Might be selfish, but at the end of the day it's a business. Players aren't going to potentially sacrifice millions for a less-than-marginal chance of increasing their teams shot at winning a regular season game.

Post Thanks / Like

Teams scout players and know who can shoot and who can't. you think they really put that much weight into generic shooting %'s? Not a chance. They know who can shoot and who can't. The number of these shots isn't going to cost these players a dime.

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

The love is starting to bubble over!

Although it is DeMar DeRozan’s offensive game that is usually picked over, defence has been a bigger issue with the shooting guard’s development. Too often, he falls asleep off of the ball or goes under a screen, to the team’s detriment.
    Related

The same could be said for Terrence Ross, who failed to translate his natural athleticism into consistently coherent defence. Rudy Gay has never been known for his defensive chops, either. So, when Raptors coach Dwane Casey built up DeRozan’s defensive growth — the usual pre-season caveats apply — it was worthy of taking note.

“His defence has been a surprise,” Casey said of DeRozan. “His defence has been a surprise with the way he’s stepped up, been in the right place, his stunts, his slides. His close-outs have been sharp.”

Again, it is either speculation or spin until the season starts. But, it is an interesting phenomenon. Generally, it is assumed that if a swingman is athletic and works hard, he will become a good defender. DeRozan, undeniably, is both. Yet, the Raptors are still waiting for him to become reliable on the other end entering his fifth season.

Everyone has a theory about why this is, and Casey has a theory about why he believes he will see a more effective DeRozan on that end.

“Maturity. Experience. Young guys who are talented never had to play defence in college because, and rightfully so, coaches don’t want them to get in foul trouble. They need them on the court,” Casey said. “At this level … every night you’re looking at another gun, a hired gun coming into town that can play. Every night — especially at that position, at the [swingman] position. You’ve got to pick it up. That process is something each of those guys has to go through. LeBron went through it. Kobe went through it. All of them had to learn, ‘If I want to stay on the court, I’ve got to learn how to defend.’ Either you do or you don’t.”

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2013/...se-on-defence/
    Going into his fifth year, DeRozan is also the closest thing this team has to a heritage player. Whether you believe he had other options (he did and he didn’t), DeRozan is The One Who Chose to Stay. That’s worth something.

Last year, he was an admired but often frustrating presence from the perspective of Raptors management. When the Bargnani stuff was hotting up late in the season, I put it to someone on top that you could package the Italian with DeRozan for one more year of creaky Lakers centre Pau Gasol.

“I would do that deal in a heartbeat,” they said.

Things? They have a way of changing.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/raptor...cks_kelly.html
    Right now. People seem to forget Bosh and VC did sign extensions.

One guy whose play has consistently warranted excitement this pre-season is DeMar DeRozan. DeRozan finished with 21 points on 8-of-15 shooting to go with seven rebounds, and is now averaging over 14 points on 54 per cent shooting through six games. Overall, DeMar is making good decisions with the ball in his hands and has showed off an impressive post game when matching up with smaller wings. Specifically, DeRozan has developed a near automatic up-and-under move to get to the hoop at will.

After the game, DeRozan said the move is about a combination of good foot work and the experience of knowing how players are going to defend him. He also mentioned that he’s watched tape of Kobe Bryant and Andre Miller in the post. Here’s hoping the expanded offensive game continues to shine come October 30th.

http://blogs.thescore.com/raptorblog...-in-double-ot/
    DeRozan says his improved play is partly a result of how great and comfortable he is feeling at this point of his career off of the court.

He’s got a newfound swagger on it, and more confidence off of it.

What in particular is he confident about?

“Just everything. My game, overall, period,” DeRozan said, matter-of-factly but not in a boastful way.

“Going into my fifth year in the league, just having the utmost confidence. Not having no doubt or no questions about nothing.”

When did it change, he was asked.

“It comes over time, just with experience ... I just tried to put everything together this summer, just work on the game as a whole.”

Casey has noticed.

“No question,” Casey said before DeRozan’s latest standout game.

“He’s a family man and all that starts to come into play as you grow and mature. That’s why it’s so hard when people talk about: ‘This guy’s going to come in and take over the league.’ No, it doesn’t happen overnight. It’s a four year process, a five year process ... It’s really good to see.”

http://www.torontosun.com/2013/10/21...-season-action
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

6. Like Mediumcore liked this post
    Raptors Republic Superstar Rapstor4Life's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Keep playing like that buddy you're doing amazing, when this season is in the books and his play continues as it has been these past 6 games (8 if you include the scrimmages) look for him to be beside JV as an untouchable piece moving forward.

21 pts 7 boards and 2 ast last night in 28 minutes of action against the knicks last night.

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

He's playing really well so far. If he can keep up those efficient offensive numbers, one may even tolerate his defensive weaknesses
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Raptors Republic Superstar isaacthompson's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Interesting idea... I'd be all for it.

Twitter - @thekid_it

Post Thanks / Like

Quote isaacthompson wrote: View Post

Why isn't Faried getting any love with Brian Shaw?
    Tim Leiweke

Raptors Republic Veteran rocwell's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Why isn't Faried getting any love with Brian Shaw?
    Who said he isn't?

Raptors Republic Superstar TRex's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote isaacthompson wrote: View Post

Last year, i would've said yes in A HEARTBEAT. But the way DeRozan has played in these preseason games. I'm gonna wait and see. See if he can carry what he's doing now to the regular season. If he can, no i wouldn't do it.
    Follow me on Twitter - @11_RRyan

Post Thanks / Like

I like Farried, but does he really fit a need with both Amir and Hansborough already here?
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Post Thanks / Like

Quote rocwell wrote: View Post
    Who said he isn't?
    Box scores and nugget blogs

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    I like Farried, but does he really fit a need with both Amir and Hansborough already here?
    Are you competing now or building towards 2016?

Faired is 23 on cheap rookie deal for 2 seasons whereas Amir and T are. 26 and 28

16. Like rocwell liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Faired is 23 on cheap rookie deal for 2 seasons whereas Amir and T are. 26 and 28
    Point taken.

Post Thanks / Like

If DD can play like this consistently through the regular season can't we have a little fun and enjoy him doing it for this team before we trade him? Because he's playing like an all star. I know I know, "it's only pre season" but I'd rather see him play like this than not play like this in pre season.
    "You clearly don't know who you're talking to, so let me clue you in: I am not in danger, Skyler. I am the danger. A guy opens his door and gets shot, and you think that of me? No! I am the one who knocks!"

- Walter White

Post Thanks / Like

For the record, don't forget that Denver has the rights to switch picks with the Knicks in 2016, when the latter might be rebuilding. So I might actually do that deal IF we get the right to switch picks with them that year, meaning we'd get to keep the highest of those two picks (Denver's or New York's).

Otherwise, I don't think I do that deal because: A) DD wants to be here; B) DD is killing it right now; C) We have two decent PFs right now, whereas the talent drop behind DD is HUGE right now.

Raptors Republic Superstar TRex's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

And DeMar is 24. And his contract right now is looking like a bargain if he can continue to play like this consistently.
    Follow me on Twitter - @11_RRyan

Post Thanks / Like

Quote LC009 wrote: View Post
    For the record, don't forget that Denver has the rights to switch picks with the Knicks in 2016, when the latter might be rebuilding. So I might actually do that deal IF we get the right to switch picks with them that year, meaning we'd get to keep the highest of those two picks (Denver's or New York's).

Otherwise, I don't think I do that deal because: A) DD wants to be here; B) DD is killing it right now; C) We have two decent PFs right now, whereas the talent drop behind DD is HUGE right now.
    That is a good point on the picks.

Quote TRex wrote: View Post
    And DeMar is 24. And his contract right now is looking like a bargain if he can continue to play like this consistently.
    Ahhhh the forever elusive consistency. DeMar has gone through 10-15 games stretches in the league over the last 3 years where you swear we have a budding AllStar. I really am looking forward to seeing what he does. However, a lot of hype is being generated around him thus far with the usual "it is only preseason." This would be a text book example of why few people sell at the top. What happens if he is not consistent? What happens if his contract becomes an anchor? What happens if cheap, productive assets and significant financial flexibility could be swapped for DeRozan?

For me, assuming Leiweke is sincere when he says Raptors ownership is willing to go in to luxury tax, the goal is to acquire as many productive players on cheap rookie contracts so when it comes time to extend them, you own their Bird Rights and have no worries of salary cap/luxury tax. Hopefully while doing this you can at least add one significant free agent before extensions kick in. Again, as has been said numerous times, Raptors have very little means to significantly improve at this time.
    Tim Leiweke

Post Thanks / Like

He's doing a lot more than just taking mid range jumpers, he's actually going to the rim and extending some of those long two's for three's.
    In previous years he'd go through the 10-15 game stretches playing well only because his shots were falling, but right now it seems as if he's playing well because he's playing smarter.
    "You clearly don't know who you're talking to, so let me clue you in: I am not in danger, Skyler. I am the danger. A guy opens his door and gets shot, and you think that of me? No! I am the one who knocks!"

- Walter White

23. Like Puffer, Nilanka liked this post

Thread Information