Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• special1 wrote: View Post
    LOL gotta love TRex aka MR. CONTRADICTION

Average is pretty close to Mediocre no?? Matter of fact - Are they any different when it comes to basketball??

Another JOKE is you comparing DD to AB. DD actually has the work ethic to be an all-star while AB.....come on man! You're seriously hating! Derozan is our 2nd best player *HANDS DOWN*. He gets to the free throw line like an all-star (and everyone knows he got tons of missed calls earlier in the season).

I know no matter what i say you'll have your opinion, but why all the hate dude. First you say he's not an average defender and then you say he's a mediocre defender......lol Enough said!
    DD has the work ethic but he doesn't have the skill. AB has all the skills in the world but he doesn't have the work ethic.

To be an all-star in this league you gotta have BOTH.
    Mamba Mentality

Comment

I usually ignore posters when they make ridiculous claims....

AND always seems like its the same people hating on demar everytime. I can list them....maybe others can add a name or two if i forget others.

T-REX, Nilanka, CalgaryRapsFan....the usual suspects. "One-dimensional, inefficient, can't dribble, below average, overpaid".....LMAO. A weird bunch of haters you guys are!!

Demar makes 3.34 million this year! I would say that he's putting up good numbers compared to others in his pay range don't you think???.....Overpaid? Let's say NOT YET! I can come up with a few names on THIS team who are OVERPAID BUT I think you guys are all pretty knowledgeable when it comes to this team

Do you guys remember Demar when he just came into the league??? Are you honestly going to continue writing posts whine'n about him not being a great player??? Sorry to hear that your expectations were so high, it was clearly unrealistic. Demar is in his 4th year and is a VERY GOOD player for us! Rudy (in his own words) said Demar is the best SG he's EVER played with. I think I would take his word over you incredibly consistent whiners.

I just hope you temper your expectations of TRoss because you WILL be dissappointed!

Demar 2012/13 stats (23 years old in his 4th year)- 17.7 ppg, 4.1 rpg, 2.6 apg (one-dimensional??? - GTFOH)

Demar 2011/12 stats (22 years old in his 3rd year) - 16.7 ppg, 3.3 rpg, 2.0 apg

Demar 2010/11 stats (21 years old in his 2nd year) - 17.2 ppg, 3.8 rpg, 1.8 apg

Demar has Career highs in points, rebounds, free throw %, free throw attempts, steals and assists this year and still IMPROVING.....I repeat one dimensional?? LOL hahaha....hilarious

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/demar_derozan/
      +1

Amazing, isn't it? everyone accepts that he's working hard to improve. This year shows him improving in every aspect of the game, but he's "one dimensional".

When it comes to value for $ spent, this year he only makes $3.34M, and will start making $9.5M only NEXT year, for 4 years. Considering everyone accepts that he's working his tail off at improving every aspect of his game, and he's only 23, how could anyone assume that he won't make further improvements next year, and the year after? Just like so many whined about the Amir signing, some of these same people are going to be seeing that $9.5M as a bargain in a couple of years. That's only my opinion at this point, but nobody can say that they know whether he'll be worth his salary in the coming years. We can only judge what's happening now, and he's a hell of a bargain at $3.34M

But the icing on the cake for me is that many of these same people support Gay to no end, when:
      - his FG% is worse than DD's
      - his 3P% is worse than DD's
      - despite being a SF whose strength is driving, he gets to the line less than DD
      - his handles are worse than DD's. You just have to watch to see that, but also supported by his higher TO stats.
      - their assist avg. for the year is essentially the same, but since Rudy's arrival with the Raps, Rudy's has remained steady at 2.6, while DeMar's is 3.6 in those games
      - everybody talks of DeMar not being good defensively, yet Rudy is worse!!! Forget about his steals that impress those starved for highlights. Watch his mostly nonchalant defense the other 90% of the time, and he gets eaten up and blown by all the time.
      - as a Memphis fan who visited the front page (I think the day after his first game winner) said, he'll impress with these game winners now and then, but for each one of those, he'll shoot you out of, and/or bad D you out of 3 games.
      - Rudy is making $16.5M, going up to $17.9M, then $19.3M

If DD is one dimensional, then he's still a bargain, giving that he's producing slightly better in his 4th year, than Gay is in his 7th year, at 5 times Demar's price, but how many threads do you see getting all over Gay's slide vs DD's improvements?

Comment

• RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
        I totally agreed. I thought he was drafted to be an athlete and slaher off the bench at this point. He's inefficient statistically speaking career wise, but he's definitely exceeded my expectations. Likely to get better.

But, if you rewatch the 2009 draft, Demar wasn't a top 5 talent at the time, but his potential was top 5. That might be a problem for us, but I wasn't as sold on him in his rookie season.
        Here's 2012-2013 salary for that draft.

1. Blake Griffin ($13,668,750) PER: 23.7
        2. Hasheem Thabeet ($1,200,000) PER: 11.5
        3. James Harden ($13,668,750) PER: 23.6
        4. Tyreke Evans (no contract yet) PER: 18.2
        5. Ricky Rubio ($4,002,120) PER: 14.3
        6. Jonny Flynn (not in NBA)
        7. Stephen Curry ($9,887,642) PER: 20.6
        8. Jordan Hill ($3,563,600) PER: 18.5
        9. DeMar DeRozan ($9,500,000) PER: 14.3
        10. Brandon Jennings (no contract yet) PER: 16.7
        11. Terrence Williams (no contract yet) PER: 4.7
        12. Gerald Henderson (no contract yet) PER: 14.9
        13. Tyler Hansbrough (no contract yet) PER: 14.8
        14. Earl Clark (no contract yet) PER: 13.9
        15. Austin Daye (no contract yet) PER: 17.6
        16. James Johnson (no contract yet) PER 10.5
        17. Jrue Holiday ($9,213,484) PER: 18.0
        18. Ty Lawson ($10,786,517) PER: 17.4
        19. Jeff Teague (no contract yet) PER 16.3
        20. Eric Maynor (no contract yet) PER 6.7
        21. Darren Collison (no contract yet) PER 16.1

It's very simple really. Look at the guys who have contracts and who doesn't yet. Look at the PER. Now PER isn't the best telling stat of all time but it certainly helps. Of the guys of his draft year that were already extended, he has the worst PER by a mile. He's basically in the same range of that long list of guys under him that hasn't been offered an extension yet. So we're basically talking about a player here that we should have waited to extend once we had a better idea of what he was worth. He's most certainly not worth $9.5M per year right now. Far from it.
        your pal,
        ebrian

Comment

• Just to give you an idea of the difference between DeRozan and Ty Lawson, who was the next closest in PER for those who received an extenstion -- there are 101 NBA players separating the two in PER ratings this season. And DeRozan is earning almost the same as him next season.

I'm not hating on DeRozan. This just proves once again how stupid Bryan Colangelo is.
          your pal,
          ebrian

Comment

• TRex wrote: View Post
            Average defender? you're kidding right? he's a well below average defender. Yeah he's much improved but he's still a mediocre defender. Klay Thompson, who i love, great shooter but not the quickest quy in the league blew by DeRozan several times the other night. It was comical.

As for for a future hall of famer in Payton praising DeRozan and saying he will be an all-star in a couple of years. Nowitzki, another future hall of famer said the same thing about Bargnani back in the days. Just because they're GREAT players doesn't mean they're always correct. Maybe they're just being nice?
            And rookie Barnes blew by 7 year vet Gay several times. Have you been dumping on Rudy's defensive play also? Just wondering.

Comment

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
              Personally speaking, I don't care where a player was drafted, how he was acquired or anything else. I only care what/how he contributes to the Raptors while he's a Raptor. My judgement of DeRozan is based on his current performance as a starting SG in the NBA, for a team that plans to contend for the playoffs beginning next season. He has lots of positives going for him and has improved from the time he entered the league, but I don't think he's proven to be an above average starting SG and certainly hasn't proved worthy of a $9.5M contract.
              Are you a talent evaluator?? He currently makes 3.34 million (this year). Would you say he's underpaid for his production this year????

At very least wait until he starts getting paid 9.5 million before you roast the guy! Demar will have the summer to work on his game to prove that he IS worth that $$. No need to be so negative NOW ....are you psychic?? Do you have a magical crystal ball? I doubt it....

In the meantime you should probably spend your time attacking players that are CURRENTLY not worth their contract -- HATER

Comment

Are you a talent evaluator?? He currently makes 3.34 million (this year). Would you say he's underpaid for his production this year????

At very least wait until he starts getting paid 9.5 million before you roast the guy! Demar will have the summer to work on his game to prove that he IS worth that $$. No need to be so negative NOW ....are you psychic?? Do you have a magical crystal ball? I doubt it....

In the meantime you should probably spend your time attacking players that are CURRENTLY not worth their contract -- HATER
                lol, anything you don't like hearing is "hate".

Comment

• p00ka wrote: View Post
                  +1

Amazing, isn't it? everyone accepts that he's working hard to improve. This year shows him improving in every aspect of the game, but he's "one dimensional".

When it comes to value for $ spent, this year he only makes $3.34M, and will start making $9.5M only NEXT year, for 4 years. Considering everyone accepts that he's working his tail off at improving every aspect of his game, and he's only 23, how could anyone assume that he won't make further improvements next year, and the year after? Just like so many whined about the Amir signing, some of these same people are going to be seeing that $9.5M as a bargain in a couple of years. That's only my opinion at this point, but nobody can say that they know whether he'll be worth his salary in the coming years. We can only judge what's happening now, and he's a hell of a bargain at $3.34M

But the icing on the cake for me is that many of these same people support Gay to no end, when:
                  - his FG% is worse than DD's
                  - his 3P% is worse than DD's
                  - despite being a SF whose strength is driving, he gets to the line less than DD
                  - his handles are worse than DD's. You just have to watch to see that, but also supported by his higher TO stats.
                  - their assist avg. for the year is essentially the same, but since Rudy's arrival with the Raps, Rudy's has remained steady at 2.6, while DeMar's is 3.6 in those games
                  - everybody talks of DeMar not being good defensively, yet Rudy is worse!!! Forget about his steals that impress those starved for highlights. Watch his mostly nonchalant defense the other 90% of the time, and he gets eaten up and blown by all the time.
                  - as a Memphis fan who visited the front page (I think the day after his first game winner) said, he'll impress with these game winners now and then, but for each one of those, he'll shoot you out of, and/or bad D you out of 3 games.
                  - Rudy is making $16.5M, going up to $17.9M, then $19.3M

If DD is one dimensional, then he's still a bargain, giving that he's producing slightly better in his 4th year, than Gay is in his 7th year, at 5 times Demar's price, but how many threads do you see getting all over Gay's slide vs DD's improvements?
                  I disagree with the bolded. Don't confuse poor-decision making (i.e. the high turnovers) with dribbling skills.

Comment

• Yeah, I read the article and loved it. When I read how some of these clowns in some sport forums talk "trades", every 3 games, I jus tune them out. They show their lack of any sense because they're wrapped up in too much NBA2K. I've seen some uber-ridiculous trade suggestions involving good players we have/had. I can't be bothered to read that garbage. I jus keep it moving. DeMar has done NOTHING else but improve--which was asked/expected from him. That's why he's in the NBA and haters/"fans" are watching HIM on tv.
                    The NBA Larry O'Brien Trophy's 'Big Decision': "This is hard..(smiling)...but..I've decided to take my talents to North Texas, to join The Dallas Mavericks.

"My Gladiator verses VS. what ya verse says"--Adversaree
                    Check out my song "Beat Fighter 2010" (prod. by Pete Cannon)
                    www.myspace.com/adversareeteamfresh
                    http://www.youtube.com/user/adversaree
                    http://twitter.com/#!/GiftOfSpeech (Twitter)

Comment

• ebrian wrote: View Post
                      Just to give you an idea of the difference between DeRozan and Ty Lawson, who was the next closest in PER for those who received an extenstion -- there are 101 NBA players separating the two in PER ratings this season. And DeRozan is earning almost the same as him next season.

I'm not hating on DeRozan. This just proves once again how stupid Bryan Colangelo is.
                      LOL ......It always makes me laugh when posters pretend like they can see the future. Derozan currently makes 3.34 million THIS YEAR. He's a FRICKEN bargain THIS YEAR! I don't know the future.....maybe he won't live up to the contract (it's happened before) BUT to pretend like its a for sure thing that he will not is complete lunacy! (especially with DD's work ethic).

I believe that there are other factors that go into a player's salary than just PER. i.e. Injury history, upside, work ethic, work load, etc. No one can say whether it was smart or dumb of BC just yet (because we dont know the future).

Another poster said it best.... Look at Amir Johnson....I used to read that his contract was too big and how dumb BC was BUT who in their right mind would say that shit now?? Amir earned EVERY PENNY in his contract.

I have no doubt Demar will look like a bargain 2-3 years down the road. OBVIOUSLY, its on Demar to prove you haters wrong.

Comment

LOL ......It always makes me laugh when posters pretend like they can see the future. Derozan currently makes 3.34 million THIS YEAR. He's a FRICKEN bargain THIS YEAR! I don't know the future.....maybe he won't live up to the contract (it's happened before) BUT to pretend like its a for sure thing that he will not is complete lunacy! (especially with DD's work ethic).

I believe that there are other factors that go into a player's salary than just PER. i.e. Injury history, upside, work ethic, work load, etc. No one can say whether it was smart or dumb of BC just yet (because we dont know the future).

Another poster said it best.... Look at Amir Johnson....I used to read that his contract was too big and how dumb BC was BUT who in their right mind would say that shit now?? Amir earned EVERY PENNY in his contract.

I have no doubt Demar will look like a bargain 2-3 years down the road. OBVIOUSLY, its on Demar to prove you haters wrong.
                        That's quite the contradictory statement there, my friend.

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
                          lol, anything you don't like hearing is "hate".
                          Stop laughing.....i'm serious!

Anyone that's been on these forums for the past few years KNOW EXACTLY where you stand Nilanka! I can't recall if you are one of the CLOWNS that think Landry Fields and Terrence "I'm not ready for this" Ross can make up for the loss of DD??

Whiners.....wahhhh "Demar is not great yet"....wahhhhh.....LMAO All these players you whiners list (DD not top 10 SG?) are NOT going anywhere. So keep crying - you lose credibility with each passing year as Demar gets better.

Comment

Is there a reason you replied to that response (which was a reply to a different poster) instead of replying to my response to your message? I laid out all my rationale in my previous response to you; perhaps you missed that one.

First, the discussion is about DeRozan, not other Raptors. If you want to have discussion about other Raptors, then I'd be happy to join in, but an opinion/evaluation of DeRozan is mutually exclusive to an opinion/evaluation of any other player. For the record, I used to be a huge Bargnani supporter but have accepted the fact that he and the Raptors need a fresh start without each other. I am also a huge fan of Gay, but have been quite alarmed at his continued poor efficiency and suspect shot selection (though I would argue that his peripheral stats and intangible benefits to the team are far greater than any other Raptor, buying him a little bit of breathing room for the time being).

Second, DeRozan is nearly done his 4th NBA season and any improvement he's made over those 4 seasons has been minor. His stats speak to this, it is a fact, not just my opinion. We've also heard every previous season that he was working hard in the gym to improve his game and, for a few games, we witness the fruits of his labor. However, none of his improvements have been sustained, certainly not at a very high level (just check out his 3pt shooting stats as evidence of this, despite coming out of 2 offseasons in which he was praised for putting in time & effort to improve his 3pt shot). I'd be shocked if the results of this offseason prove to be significantly different than the results coming out of the last 4 offseasons. DeRozan only has 20 games remaining on his old contract after tonight's game, so I think you're just splitting hairs by trying to differentiate the $3.34M DeRozan of today and the $9.5M DeRozan of 21 games from now.

For DeRozan, the explanations are starting to sound like excuses. DeRozan supporters are starting to sound eerily reminiscent of Bargnani supporters over the past few seasons - which I readily admit to being, so I know what it is to be blinded by 'upside' and 'potential' and all the positive attributes that the player brings to the table. At the end of the day, it doesn't matter how good his work ethic is, how much he likes Toronto or what anybody else says about him (ie: Payton, Gay, BC, DC, RR posters); all that matters is performance and production on the court. I challenge any DeRozan supporter to study his stats (basic or advanced) blindly, without knowing whose stats you're looking at (especially when compared to other starting wings in the league) - I seriously doubt anybody would be supporting him nearly as strongly and passionately as people currently are. You need to be unbiased and objective when evaluating players. I'm not an NBA talent evaluator by any stretch, but I also don't disgregard statistics simply because I really like the guy.
                            Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Wed Mar 6, 2013, 05:41 PM.

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                              I'll say it again how can you even hate on this kid?
                              +1

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
                                That's quite the contradictory statement there, my friend.
                                I have no doubt (my opinion).....Yet I cant tell the future.....Geez. You took 4 paragraphs - highlighted two sentences and feel like you accomplished something.....I wonder what that was....hmmmm LOL

Comment

Working...
                                X