Everything Derozan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tkfu wrote: View Post
    I've long been a DeMar skeptic, but damned if isn't playing like an all-star so far this pre-season. We haven't seen that 3PT shot come out, but:

- His footwork is awesome. Both in the post and on his drives, he's doing a bunch of little things perfectly right, and it's giving him more choices on offense. No more driving into a crowd and not knowing what to do, because his footwork has prepared him and prevented him from getting into that situation in the first place.

- He's picked up the James Harden style hesitation gather. I've now seen him do it a few times, against both the wolves and the knicks. The essence of the move is letting your dribble bounce up higher (by conventional wisdom a bad move, because it's easier to steal) while hesitating just a bit, and depending on how the defense reacts you either keep your dribble alive to keep probing or pick it up (starting your gather) quite a bit higher after the little hesitation, then use that to take your steps and slash to the hoop. Harden uses it all the time to keep defenders off balance; Ginobili uses it too, to great effect. You can see DeMar doing it against the Wolves at the 2:30 mark of this video.
    He is looking good.

Still waiting to see the 3 as you said but all other parts of his offensive game are looking good.

What about the D?

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
      What about the D?
      Can't say that I've noticed much dramatic change, but it hasn't been bad.

Comment

• It's only been three preseason games and one scrimmage.. but DeMar has been very impressive. I went on the fire BC bandwagon as soon as I heard about DeMar's extension... I am still really happy he is gone, but if DeMar keeps playing like he did the last 3 games then he is going to be worth that contract and more.

Consistency will be key.. but he has wowed me with his play so far.

Comment

• He used to get caught while dribble penetrating and fumble w/ the ball, get it stolen...

His handle is much better so far this season. His confidence is showing through his strength.

I'd still like to see him drain a bunch of 3's and I'm sure that's going to come.

Comment

• Axel wrote: View Post
            Just wrong. Not only do the points count if it goes in, but there is a huge momentum gain. Think if you are at home, and you hit the 40 footer at the close of the first quarter. There is only a quick break before the 2nd quarter starts and the fans will be going nuts that entire break. You don't think fan cheering impacts player performance? There have been studies that prove that playing at home in front of a loud crowd has a positive impact on player performance. Don't like studies? Then go play in front of a crowd cheering madly (you only need a small number in a small gym). It jacks you up, and that extra energy helps a lot in areas like rebounding.
            Agree with the crowd part.

Wait let me put it this way. 99% of the time taking that shot doesn't help your team. Better?

Comment

• So DeMar is beasting right now for 4 straight games (including Scrimmage) smarter player taking people off the bounce now (seriously how much does he ever do that?) Finishing through contact even going strong to poster players very impressive getting to the line. A threat from deep if set. DeMar DeRozan you are the man!

Yes he still doesnt rebound amazing or ast well but he is at least attempting to now defense can still get better.

Comment

• Xixak wrote: View Post
                Agree with the crowd part.

Wait let me put it this way. 99% of the time taking that shot doesn't help your team. Better?
                And 100% of the time it doesn't hurt your team, so take the shot. If it goes in, those 3 points and the momentum might mean the difference in the game. To not take the short is stupid and selfish.
                Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• Axel wrote: View Post
                  And 100% of the time it doesn't hurt your team, so take the shot. If it goes in, those 3 points and the momentum might mean the difference in the game. To not take the short is stupid and selfish.
                  Actually it's not really stupid at all, considering the significant effect taking those shots can have on your shooting percentages, and eventually your next contract.

Might be selfish, but at the end of the day it's a business. Players aren't going to potentially sacrifice millions for a less-than-marginal chance of increasing their teams shot at winning a regular season game.

Comment

• Teams scout players and know who can shoot and who can't. you think they really put that much weight into generic shooting %'s? Not a chance. They know who can shoot and who can't. The number of these shots isn't going to cost these players a dime.
                    Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• The love is starting to bubble over!

Although it is DeMar DeRozan’s offensive game that is usually picked over, defence has been a bigger issue with the shooting guard’s development. Too often, he falls asleep off of the ball or goes under a screen, to the team’s detriment.
                      Related

The same could be said for Terrence Ross, who failed to translate his natural athleticism into consistently coherent defence. Rudy Gay has never been known for his defensive chops, either. So, when Raptors coach Dwane Casey built up DeRozan’s defensive growth — the usual pre-season caveats apply — it was worthy of taking note.

“His defence has been a surprise,” Casey said of DeRozan. “His defence has been a surprise with the way he’s stepped up, been in the right place, his stunts, his slides. His close-outs have been sharp.”

Again, it is either speculation or spin until the season starts. But, it is an interesting phenomenon. Generally, it is assumed that if a swingman is athletic and works hard, he will become a good defender. DeRozan, undeniably, is both. Yet, the Raptors are still waiting for him to become reliable on the other end entering his fifth season.

Everyone has a theory about why this is, and Casey has a theory about why he believes he will see a more effective DeRozan on that end.

“Maturity. Experience. Young guys who are talented never had to play defence in college because, and rightfully so, coaches don’t want them to get in foul trouble. They need them on the court,” Casey said. “At this level … every night you’re looking at another gun, a hired gun coming into town that can play. Every night — especially at that position, at the [swingman] position. You’ve got to pick it up. That process is something each of those guys has to go through. LeBron went through it. Kobe went through it. All of them had to learn, ‘If I want to stay on the court, I’ve got to learn how to defend.’ Either you do or you don’t.”

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2013/...se-on-defence/
                      Going into his fifth year, DeRozan is also the closest thing this team has to a heritage player. Whether you believe he had other options (he did and he didn’t), DeRozan is The One Who Chose to Stay. That’s worth something.

Last year, he was an admired but often frustrating presence from the perspective of Raptors management. When the Bargnani stuff was hotting up late in the season, I put it to someone on top that you could package the Italian with DeRozan for one more year of creaky Lakers centre Pau Gasol.

“I would do that deal in a heartbeat,” they said.

Things? They have a way of changing.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/raptor...cks_kelly.html
                      Right now. People seem to forget Bosh and VC did sign extensions.

One guy whose play has consistently warranted excitement this pre-season is DeMar DeRozan. DeRozan finished with 21 points on 8-of-15 shooting to go with seven rebounds, and is now averaging over 14 points on 54 per cent shooting through six games. Overall, DeMar is making good decisions with the ball in his hands and has showed off an impressive post game when matching up with smaller wings. Specifically, DeRozan has developed a near automatic up-and-under move to get to the hoop at will.

After the game, DeRozan said the move is about a combination of good foot work and the experience of knowing how players are going to defend him. He also mentioned that he’s watched tape of Kobe Bryant and Andre Miller in the post. Here’s hoping the expanded offensive game continues to shine come October 30th.

http://blogs.thescore.com/raptorblog...-in-double-ot/
                      DeRozan says his improved play is partly a result of how great and comfortable he is feeling at this point of his career off of the court.

He’s got a newfound swagger on it, and more confidence off of it.

What in particular is he confident about?

“Just everything. My game, overall, period,” DeRozan said, matter-of-factly but not in a boastful way.

“Going into my fifth year in the league, just having the utmost confidence. Not having no doubt or no questions about nothing.”

When did it change, he was asked.

“It comes over time, just with experience ... I just tried to put everything together this summer, just work on the game as a whole.”

Casey has noticed.

“No question,” Casey said before DeRozan’s latest standout game.

“He’s a family man and all that starts to come into play as you grow and mature. That’s why it’s so hard when people talk about: ‘This guy’s going to come in and take over the league.’ No, it doesn’t happen overnight. It’s a four year process, a five year process ... It’s really good to see.”

http://www.torontosun.com/2013/10/21...-season-action

Comment

• Keep playing like that buddy you're doing amazing, when this season is in the books and his play continues as it has been these past 6 games (8 if you include the scrimmages) look for him to be beside JV as an untouchable piece moving forward.

21 pts 7 boards and 2 ast last night in 28 minutes of action against the knicks last night.

Comment

• He's playing really well so far. If he can keep up those efficient offensive numbers, one may even tolerate his defensive weaknesses

Comment

• Interesting idea... I'd be all for it.

Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

• isaacthompson wrote: View Post
                              Interesting idea... I'd be all for it.

Why isn't Faried getting any love with Brian Shaw?

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
                                Why isn't Faried getting any love with Brian Shaw?
                                Who said he isn't?

Comment

Working...
                                X