Everything Derozan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Luckily he is no longer an eye sore on the glass, passing, or on defense. Some people aren't happy unless you join them on your knees with the praise. Oh well.
    *yawn*

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
    And I don't blame you...It's just exhausting. A neverending loop of the same debate.
    Always initiated by the same stat analyzers? Resulting in the same debate going back 2 years? Same discussions, neverending loop of the same debate, even as DeMar has made big leaps, is an all star, and the team is winning. Surely exhausting.

Comment

• salmon wrote: View Post
      *yawn*

Always initiated by the same stat analyzers? Resulting in the same debate going back 2 years? Same discussions, neverending loop of the same debate, even as DeMar has made big leaps, is an all star, and the team is winning. Surely exhausting.
      You joined last month. You must have read an awful lot of old threads to have such opinions. 2 years ago must be a long way down the page list.
      Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• Axel wrote: View Post
        You joined last month. You must have read an awful lot of old threads to have such opinions. 2 years ago must be a long way down the page list.
        Lol

Seriously

Comment

• iblastoff wrote: View Post
          improving in one area and dropping significantly at the same shot in other areas can't be ignored. thats called cherry picking. in this case, his 3 point shot from everywhere else has dropped significantly. a drop of 4.29% is kind of a 'big deal in the NBA"
          I think pretty much all Raptors fans agree that DeRozan should never take a 3 that isn't from the corners.

Comes down to a coach drilling that in his mind. Look at Kawhi Leonard (although he's regressed a fair bit this year).

Comment

• imanshumpert wrote: View Post
            I think pretty much all Raptors fans agree that DeRozan should never take a 3 that isn't from the corners.

Comes down to a coach drilling that in his mind. Look at Kawhi Leonard (although he's regressed a fair bit this year).
            yep. im down with that! i just remember in the new orleans game where he attempted a pull up 3 from the key in that awful 2nd quarter. there was no need for it. just horrible decision making.
            Last edited by iblastoff; Mon Feb 10, 2014, 11:49 PM.

Comment

Derozan should have 2 ultimatums
              1. Take 500 three pointers a day in the summer and he can be a threat from there
              2. Understand your not a good shooter and drive to the rim constantly and improve handles so you can actually drive without losing the ball
              "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

• 4hunnit_degreez wrote: View Post
                Derozan should have 2 ultimatums
                1. Take 500 three pointers a day in the summer and he can be a threat from there
                2. Understand your not a good shooter and drive to the rim constantly and improve handles so you can actually drive without losing the ball
                I partially agree.

Those 500 jumpers need to be contested and should come off movement. If he wants to have dependability in that shot he needs to be able to hit it while coming off of a screen, or while cutting to an open spot, or simply by stepping back off the dribble.

He needs to work on his handles. He's improved in that area, but he's still got to work on it more. This will help him get to the rim more easily. As for the jump shot, I don't think he should give up on it. He has shown flashes of brilliance, especially when coming off the pin down screens he gets (corner 3 lol) and he is growing immensely by having this pressure put on him.

Remember in his third year, he was considered the man by other teams when Bargs was injured, and he couldn't deliver consistently. This season, he's become rather consistent in his scoring whilst being considered 'the man' by other teams. Tonight was a really bad night for him, but overall, his growth is noticeable and his confidence is growing.

This can only mean big things for the Raptors.
                I know this may be a bit controversial but I think the Raptors have proven that they're the best team in the NBA from Canada
                -random Facebook user. 2016

Comment

By the way, DeRozan's 3pt shooting isn't so bad that you can just ignore him out there. He shoots over 40% from the corner 3 and 33% from straight away. It's those wing threes that he can't hit to save his life (I'm still not sure why he hasn't been told to never take those shots). So you actually can use him to space the floor.

Just to make it clear that he is a threat from the corners:

Stephen Curry from corner 3: 21-51 (41.1%)
                  DeMar DeRozan from corner 3: 25-59 (42.3%)
                  Not ignore, but you don't have to center your individual coverages around it either. You can also ICE the side PnR's rather than have to have your post come out to contest the three, which has a huge impact on the defense's effectiveness.

Curry doesn't take the majority of his threes from the corners, it's not really his shot. This is due to him being the PG, which also means he is also taking a lot of threes off the bounce, which is much harder and DD is more of a catch and shoot.

As much as I have posted against DD's three point shooting, I have stated that his corner three is actually good, and should only be taken from there.

Axel wrote: View Post
                  Nice post Matt. I find the disappearance of his post game the most frustrating, especially now that we have Ross in at the 3 to give the Raps more perimeter threats on the kick-out rotations. Feels like one step forward, one step back.
                  Err. Mah. Gerd. Yes.

DD has always been good with his post game and is efficient with it...he just doesn't use it

special1 wrote: View Post
                  Ever notice its the same people making the same statements about what they don't like about Demar's game?? LOL It's quite funny hearing all the "constructive criticism." I guess Demar must be doing something right considering he's an all-star this year. But but....
                  I don't consider being an all-star an accurate evaluation of a players worth and more of a popularity contest.

see: Lowry, Davis, Dragic, Stephenson, Joe Johnson

imanshumpert wrote: View Post

Pretty much

Comment

• I believe someone asked me for some expansion on what a poor close out is a while ago and I never got around too it but I saw a great example in tonight's game against the Pelicans.

******Click link below to watch video of said play. It doesn't want to embed

This is in the late third, when Evans went off (with guess who guarding him, hint: DD)

The play starts out with GREAT defense by Ross, who does a great job of moving laterally and keeping his man (Gordon, no slouch) in front of him and chesting him and pretty much taking away anything and everything that his man is trying to do.

The ball gets passed out to Lowry's guy, who then quickly swings it out to Evans, DD lifts himself on a non existent pump fake and ends up with his lead foot (left) nearly at the three point line. He is also completely opened up and Evans blows right by him and crab walks (he travelled) around the help from Patterson (who was very quick on his help) to the rim for a score. It's that forced rotation that kills us, and makes our post guys hung out to look bad.

http://on.nba.com/LR7W3d

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                      I don't really want to take part in this discussion...which is again very similar to discussions about DeMar for the past 2 years.

But damn it I still can't believe the JJ all-star selection. That's just awful. I don't know if I've ever seen such an undeserving all-star. So appalling.
                      Matt52 wrote: View Post
                      Lol

Seriously
                      Look up, look way up. see that comment by white men can't jump that I was responding to? When I referred to the 2 years as what I thought was a minor descriptor , it was in response to my quoted portion of that comment. In my mind the pertinent part was the "never ending loop of the same debate", but y'all needed the 2 years part quoted too? Or you feel the need for some dark and mysterious explanation for the 2 years? LOL I'd like to say sorry for my omission, but something about the smell of the glee doesn't quite sit right. *thinking smartass/dumbass?*

Comment

Look up, look way up. see that comment by white men can't jump that I was responding to? When I referred to the 2 years as what I thought was a minor descriptor , it was in response to my quoted portion of that comment. In my mind the pertinent part was the "never ending loop of the same debate", but y'all needed the 2 years part quoted too? Or you feel the need for some dark and mysterious explanation for the 2 years? LOL I'd like to say sorry for my omission, but something about the smell of the glee doesn't quite sit right. *thinking smartass/dumbass?*
                        My bad P.

It is interesting that no matter how exhausted some people feel the discussion is, people are still posting and reading it. So either we are all a bunch of masochist fans (people who enjoy pain) or there is genuine interest in the topic. I prefer to think it's the interest in an ever changing discussion. While some may feel the arguments are stale (on either side), the fact is, as long as Demar is playing basketball then there is new information to look at and incorporate.

I find it quite interesting from Matt's post that while Demar has increased his 3PT attempts, it seems to have come at the expense of his shots at the rim rather than the inefficient mid-range jumpers that have been the focus of much criticism towards Demar's game. I assumed, that since he is scoring well and is more visually appealing on the court, that it was the mid-range game that had decreased. Now that I know the facts, I will be looking at his game with more knowledge and can fairly assess his performance.

As I said in my original response to Matt's post, the biggest disappointment for me is the disappearance of his post up game. It seems that every summer we talk about how he's adding this new dimension to his game and then by the 3rd week of the season it has completely disappeared. It's kind of like a player falling into old habits and losing focus on what the plan was. In a game, that is typically when a coach takes a time-out to re-affirm the focus. It seems like Demar needs an in-season "time-out" to remind him of the off-season strategic plans for him. If he wasn't an all-star, then this weekend would have been the best opportunity for that. With his all-star selection, I wonder if he'll continue down the same road or return with renewed focus.

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• salmon wrote:
                          Why would I admit to anything other than my post being the truth about the inaccurate comments? But thanks for being upstanding RR posters and keeping the thread on flaming topic. Well done.
                          What comments are inaccurate? You refuted the stats because of what they don't say but they are what they are and were presented as much.

Why is this a flaming topic? Because people disagree? Last time I checked a thread where everyone agreed 100% was fairly empty. Why do you care? You've been here not even 2 months, so why does it bother how long people have been discussing a topic? Since you're new here, perhaps you can add some fresh blood to the topic and present some new views as opposed to complaining about other people's posts, without providing any constructive points.

Comment

• Axel wrote: View Post
                            What comments are inaccurate? You refuted the stats because of what they don't say but they are what they are and were presented as much.

Why is this a flaming topic? Because people disagree? Last time I checked a thread where everyone agreed 100% was fairly empty. Why do you care? You've been here not even 2 months, so why does it bother how long people have been discussing a topic? Since you're new here, perhaps you can add some fresh blood to the topic and present some new views as opposed to complaining about other people's posts, without providing any constructive points.
                            Perhaps "innacurate" was not the best choice of words, but I was referring to the following, which initiated this conversation:

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                            Lol

Seriously
                            Which subsequently lead to the "on topic" commentary that I'm responding to now (hmmm, just noticed that those posts have now been deleted). Sheeesh, some people getting obsessed with taking pokes at me now, lol.
                            Last edited by salmon; Tue Feb 11, 2014, 12:41 PM.

Comment

Perhaps "innacurate" was not the best choice of words, but I was referring to the following, which initiated this conversation:

Which subsequently lead to the "on topic" commentary that I'm responding to now (hmmm, just noticed that those posts have now been deleted). Sheeesh, some people getting obsessed with taking pokes at me now, lol.
                              So the inaccurate comment was me saying that you joined last month (as per your profile) and for you to have 2 years worth of background knowledge would require a lot of reading? Which you then clarified in the post prior to you claiming inaccurate comments.

So you are commenting on something being an inaccurate comment, after the fact you clarified and I responded with "my bad". I'm confused. Unless the "lol, seriously" comments are what you think is inaccurate, which is impossible for anyone to know if Matt was laughing out loud.

Can you be specific as to what comments are "inaccurate" (or whatever term you'd like to use) regarding the Demar post by Matt or any subsequent post in response? Keeping on topic is appreciated and I'm confused by all this round about talking.

Comment

• I'm not sure DeMar is actually driving to the rim less (despite less attempts per game at the rim). The lower attempts at the rim might be due to getting more calls (when you get fouled it doesn't count as a shot).

Comment

Working...
                                X