Everything Derozan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• imanshumpert wrote: View Post
    I'm not sure DeMar is actually driving to the rim less (despite less attempts per game at the rim). The lower attempts at the rim might be due to getting more calls (when you get fouled it doesn't count as a shot).
    Without checking the stats (on my phone now), I would say that while possible is does seem unlikely that the amount of "new" calls would equate to the fewer attempts. Also, if a player is getting more calls at the rim, then logic stands that the player should try and attempt even more attempts at the rim to draw even more fouls.

Don't forget, Demar's overall FGA has gone up, so it's not like we are moving around portions of an overall set quantity. He is attempting more 3's and 2PA at nearly 2 more per game each, in addition to his 2 extra FTA per game. Where are those extra 2PA coming from? The stats would have to say, not at the rim therefore midrange - long two's are the only options.
    Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

I'm not sure DeMar is actually driving to the rim less (despite less attempts per game at the rim). The lower attempts at the rim might be due to getting more calls (when you get fouled it doesn't count as a shot).
      That is a good point.

Comment

Not to mention he learned how to pass.
        A drive to the rim creates some great opportunities for teammates, and he's been taking advantage of that.

Comment

• joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
          A drive to the rim creates some great opportunities for teammates, and he's been taking advantage of that.
          Set your lineup!

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
            Set your lineup!
            *tips hat*

Comment

• joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
              *tips hat*
              I hate it when Leo is right about something. It just goes against the grain.

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                Also....

Does anyone remember how many out of control drives DeMar would do even last year? Many drives that ended with him having no real angle at a shot and throwing up a prayer, hoping for a foul. I'm sure a lot of those counted as rim attempts, but none of them had a real chance.

Now he plays with far more control. If he doesn't have a clear shot at the rim, he either gets to the line, finds an open man, or pulls up earlier for a more controlled move. Not saying his game is perfect or he couldn't stand to find more opportunities at the rim, but he's gotta be taking fewer bad shots in his attempts to get to the rim.

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                  Also....

Does anyone remember how many out of control drives DeMar would do even last year? Many drives that ended with him having no real angle at a shot and throwing up a prayer, hoping for a foul. I'm sure a lot of those counted as rim attempts, but none of them had a real chance.

Now he plays with far more control. If he doesn't have a clear shot at the rim, he either gets to the line, finds an open man, or pulls up earlier for a more controlled move. Not saying his game is perfect or he couldn't stand to find more opportunities at the rim, but he's gotta be taking fewer bad shots in his attempts to get to the rim.
                  A lot of good points being made.

Comment

• I would like to see more post-ups from DD with Patty P spacing the court. I would also like to see how DeMar performs under a coach who is more creative with the playbook. Casey rides out his 'best scorer' all the time.

That stupid play where Amir sets a backdoor screen for DeRozan. Lowry (on top) passes it to Amir (on the high post) -- look at DeMar (now on the block) -- only to pass it back to Lowry on top. Amir sets a down screen for DeMar & bang, long 2. All the while, Jonas and Ross are camping (one in the corner & one in the baseline).

I see that damn play run like 10 times a game (different variations because they flow into it in other ways) but same concept. If I can recognize that as a fan, I wonder what other teams think.

Everyone criticizes DeMar for long 2's but sometimes, you have to wonder why the coach puts him in that situation all the time. In this example, the play is designed for DeMar to "read" the defense -- but he has 4 options.

(a) If defense goes under, he flares -- LONG TWO
                    (b) If defense trails him & Amir's defender does not commit to him -- DRIVE
                    (c) If defense trails him & Amir's defender commits to him -- POCKET PASS TO AMIR
                    (d) If defense trails him & Lowry's defender commits to him -- KICK OUT 3 --> SWING TO CORNER, etc.

For the most part, DeMar has been good at reading the defense & he has been willing to give the ball up if it's not there for him. But if you seriously run the same damn play all the time, the defense will know how to adjust to it by the 3rd time, no?

I like Casey. I like what he stands for. But honestly, I want a coach with a better playbook.
                    Last edited by torch19; Wed Feb 12, 2014, 03:30 AM.
                    “I don’t create controversies. They’re there long before I open my mouth. I just bring them to your attention.”

-- Charles Barkley

Comment

• torch19 wrote: View Post
                      I would like to see more post-ups from DD with Patty P spacing the court. I would also like to see how DeMar performs under a coach who is more creative with the playbook. Casey rides out his 'best scorer' all the time.

That stupid play where Amir sets a backdoor screen for DeRozan. Lowry (on top) passes it to Amir (on the high post) -- look at DeMar (now on the block) -- only to pass it back to Lowry on top. Amir sets a down screen for DeMar & bang, long 2. All the while, Jonas and Ross are camping (one in the corner & one in the baseline).

I see that damn play run like 10 times a game (different variations because they flow into it in other ways) but same concept. If I can recognize that as a fan, I wonder what other teams think.

Everyone criticizes DeMar for long 2's but sometimes, you have to wonder why the coach puts him in that situation all the time. In this example, the play is designed for DeMar to "read" the defense -- but he has 4 options.

(a) If defense goes under, he flares -- LONG TWO
                      (b) If defense trails him & Amir's defender does not commit to him -- DRIVE
                      (c) If defense trails him & Amir's defender commits to him -- POCKET PASS TO AMIR
                      (d) If defense trails him & Lowry's defender commits to him -- KICK OUT 3 --> SWING TO CORNER, etc.

For the most part, DeMar has been good at reading the defense & he has been willing to give the ball up if it's not there for him. But if you seriously run the same damn play all the time, the defense will know how to adjust to it by the 3rd time, no?

I like Casey. I like what he stands for. But honestly, I want a coach with a better playbook.
                      I completely agree. I think a lot of DD's flaws come from how elementary out offensive playbook is. It's just so easy to stop and it's easy to force DD into taking long 2's because there aren't many other options for him. Also a lot of plays are set up for DD to take long 2's or put him a situation for him to take them as you said.
                      I relish negativity and disappointment. It is not healthy. Somebody buy me a pony.

Comment

• GLF wrote: View Post
                        I completely agree. I think a lot of DD's flaws come from how elementary out offensive playbook is. It's just so easy to stop and it's easy to force DD into taking long 2's because there aren't many other options for him. Also a lot of plays are set up for DD to take long 2's or put him a situation for him to take them as you said.
                        Our playbook is lacking in ingenuity, but remember what it looked like during the first 20 games? Man, that was some truly horrendous basketball. 1-on-5 every trip up the floor.

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
                          Our playbook is lacking in ingenuity, but remember what it looked like during the first 20 games? Man, that was some truly horrendous basketball. 1-on-5 every trip up the floor.
                          My turn!

Your Turn!

My turn again!

Comment

My turn!

Your Turn!

My turn again!
                            lol

Maybe that's why Casey was so reluctant to call timeouts. How many different ways can one say "pass it to Rudy"?

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
                              lol

Maybe that's why Casey was so reluctant to call timeouts. How many different ways can one say "pass it to Rudy"?
                              Or

"Rudy, you need to learn to share. It is DeMar's turn now!"

Comment

Or

"Rudy, you need to learn to share. It is DeMar's turn now!"
                                *Jonas breaks out into hysterical crying in background*
                                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Working...
                                X