Everything Derozan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jordan Evans wrote: View Post
    I love DeMar. He's a phenomenal basketball player. His game isn't the ideal game I always hope for him but I like him a lot. But honestly, would it kill to take a couple inches back and shoot a three? He's sometimes right on the line shooting a long two when he could easily take a step back and shoot a three. That's all I want to see more of.
    It's great to say this but it's actually wrong, unless the long 2 is being taken from the corner.

http://vorped.com/bball/index.php/pl.../2013-2014-REG

DeRozan shoots about 22% from every spot from 3 that isn't the corner. That's 0.66 PPS. In other words, if he takes 100 of these 3s he'll score 66 points.

DeRozan shoots about 42% from the mid-range spots from the same angle. That's 0.84 PPS. In other words, if he takes 100 of these 2s he'll score 84 points.

So based on his shooting ability he is actually taking a more efficient shot by taking the long 2.

Now I'm sure someone is probably going to say that he should just shoot more from the corners, but that's not going to happen until he becomes the #2 option (which is why we saw him shooting a lot of them when Gay was here), of course that can't happen until we get a better scorer than him. Advanced stats are cool, but basketball isn't math. A primary scorer isn't really going to get a ton of looks from corner 3, because that's generally where teams spot up their role players. Just to put some perspective, DeRozan has actually taken more corner 3s this season (70) than guys like Durant (16), Curry (59), Harden (26), LeBron (29). It's not a look that primary scorers get very often.

Comment

• 4hunnit_degreez wrote: View Post
      Right now DD is playing at the rate of 1999-00 Jerry Stackhouse .

1999-00 25 years old DET NBA SG 82 games 38.4mpg 42.8fg% 28.8 3pt% 6.5(2pt)fgm 14.1(2pt)fga 46.2%(2pt%) 7.5ftm 9.2fta 81.5ft% 23.6ppg 3.8rpg 4.5astpg 1.3stlpg 0.4blkpg 3.8topg

2013-14 24 years old TOR NBA SG 57 games 38.2mpg 43.4fg% 30.1 3pt% 7.1 (2pt)fgm/15.4 (2pt)fga 46%(2pt%) 6.1ftm/ 7.5fta 80.7ft% 22.9pg 3.7rpg 4.5apg 1.1stlpg 0.4blkpg 2.2topg
      He's actually playing better than Stackhouse. DeRozan is +4 in oRTG/dRTG while Stackhouse was -2. Also DeRozan's turnover percentage is significantly lower despite having almost identical usage and AST%.

Comment

• imanshumpert wrote: View Post
        It's great to say this but it's actually wrong, unless the long 2 is being taken from the corner.

http://vorped.com/bball/index.php/pl.../2013-2014-REG

DeRozan shoots about 22% from every spot from 3 that isn't the corner. That's 0.66 PPS. In other words, if he takes 100 of these 3s he'll score 66 points.

DeRozan shoots about 42% from the mid-range spots from the same angle. That's 0.84 PPS. In other words, if he takes 100 of these 2s he'll score 84 points.

So based on his shooting ability he is actually taking a more efficient shot by taking the long 2.

Now I'm sure someone is probably going to say that he should just shoot more from the corners, but that's not going to happen until he becomes the #2 option (which is why we saw him shooting a lot of them when Gay was here), of course that can't happen until we get a better scorer than him. Advanced stats are cool, but basketball isn't math. A primary scorer isn't really going to get a ton of looks from corner 3, because that's generally where teams spot up their role players. Just to put some perspective, DeRozan has actually taken more corner 3s this season (70) than guys like Durant (16), Curry (59), Harden (26), LeBron (29). It's not a look that primary scorers get very often.
        I think the issue isn't in the numbers on this one, but in his head. I can't remember the source but I've read a few times people commenting on his excellent shot from three during drills and practice. Even during the games, as soon as the ball leaves his hand you can pretty much tell if it was a natural stroke of his or if he completely butchered it.

When you watch him shoot a long two he picks it up in rhythm and trusts his shot, when he picks it up behind the arc and looks to put up the three it's completely a different shot. When he shoots the three naturally and usually in the spur of the moment it looks alot better, Probably because he isnt thinking 3ball. I don't know how many great shots I've seen when he has his foot on the line.

Comment

• BallaBalla wrote: View Post
          This is fascinating. I'm not sure there is a team in the league that wouldn't have been happy to have a 25 year old Jerry Stackhouse.
          76ers.

Comment

• imanshumpert wrote: View Post
            He's actually playing better than Stackhouse. DeRozan is +4 in oRTG/dRTG while Stackhouse was -2. Also DeRozan's turnover percentage is significantly lower despite having almost identical usage and AST%.
            On the other hand, Stack was scoring with more efficiency that year, despite it being the handcheck era where perimeter players had a harder time scoring. So lets call it a draw.

Comment

• Stack was the #2 option behind Grant Hill

Comment

• Jordan Evans wrote: View Post
                I love DeMar. He's a phenomenal basketball player. His game isn't the ideal game I always hope for him but I like him a lot. But honestly, would it kill to take a couple inches back and shoot a three? He's sometimes right on the line shooting a long two when he could easily take a step back and shoot a three. That's all I want to see more of.
                Isn't he shooting something awful from the 3point line? Like 30%? Why on earth would you want that?

Comment

• Mediumcore wrote: View Post
                  Isn't he shooting something awful from the 3point line? Like 30%? Why on earth would you want that?
                  from the corners hes average/above average. everywhere else though yeah hes not that good.

Comment

• Still chopping up Derozan on this thread eh....

You guys are awesome.

Comment

• iblastoff wrote: View Post
                      from the corners hes average/above average. everywhere else though yeah hes not that good.
                      actually he is way above average from the corners.

Demar from corners: 41.67%
                      Curry from corners: 39.3%
                      The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

• enlightenment wrote: View Post

from left hes 39.62% which is around league average.
                        hes above average on the right side with 47% (but with a much smaller sample size)

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
                          Stack was the #2 option behind Grant Hill
                          If anything, that makes DeMar look better from an efficiency standpoint.
                          Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

• enlightenment wrote: View Post

Curry is not a corner shooter....those are his weakest areas, whereas the corners are the strongest areas for DeMar.

Personally I hate DD's shot chart...so ugly

Look at Ross', that is a nice shot chart with good percentages and high attempts at the three...a dead zone in the long two range with this area being his range of fewest attempts...and then free throw line and in he is gold with higher amount of attempts again. That is what our wings should be striving for.

Comment

• OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
                              Curry is not a corner shooter....those are his weakest areas, whereas the corners are the strongest areas for DeMar.

Personally I hate DD's shot chart...so ugly

Look at Ross', that is a nice shot chart with good percentages and high attempts at the three...a dead zone in the long two range with this area being his range of fewest attempts...and then free throw line and in he is gold with higher amount of attempts again. That is what our wings should be striving for.
                              Everyone knows what the preference would be,,,no long twos, corner threes and shots close to the rim. Truth is, DeMar is relatively good at long twos, at least this season. He will keep working on his 3 pt shot I am sure, and I expect to see more of them next year. IN the meantime, he gets off a lot of uncontested mid-range shots that go in.

Comment

• kyle korvers chart is out of this world

Comment

Working...
                                X