Everything Derozan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
    I wonder if this has to do with the availability of court space in Canada. We have a much smaller 'street ball' scene due to outdoor courts only being available in the summers. Most of the court time kids get are in gyms with coordinated ball...even in men's league pick-up ball there is a little more structure than what I have seen from street ball in the warmer southern states. This could be in part why we don't have the ISO players you are talking about.

Entirely speculation of course
    Certainly a fair hypothesis.

I think that it is very much a top down message from Basketball Canada though. To compete on a world stage, we have, historically, needed to be a team where the sum was greater than the individual parts (or however that saying goes); while the US could get by with elite talent. This isn't even a NBA thing, think FIBA Under 21 or Under 16 World Championships. That message was passed on down the Canadian coaching ranks, down to the youth coaching certification process. I think that has created a different culture in basketball in Canada than the US.

Now I'm not saying Demar would be better if he grew up in Canada (statistically he wouldn't be); but if he had coaches teach him to not play the ISO heavy game from age 6-16; then perhaps he'd be a couple of years ahead mentally than where he is today. He is making progress, but it seems like he came in behind the 8-ball in regards to player efficiency and is trying to catch-up on the fly.
    Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• Axel wrote: View Post
      I think that it is very much a top down message from Basketball Canada though. To compete on a world stage, we have, historically, needed to be a team where the sum was greater than the individual parts (or however that saying goes); while the US could get by with elite talent. This isn't even a NBA thing, think FIBA Under 21 or Under 16 World Championships. That message was passed on down the Canadian coaching ranks, down to the youth coaching certification process. I think that has created a different culture in basketball in Canada than the US.
      Interesting

I'm from an uber small town in the middle of nowhere so I can't say that Basketball Canada ever influenced my parts of the wilderness...but I can see it being entirely possible in the big cities

Comment

• What his name? DeMaaarr DeRoooozaan

Comment

• OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
          Interesting

I'm from an uber small town in the middle of nowhere so I can't say that Basketball Canada ever influenced my parts of the wilderness...but I can see it being entirely possible in the big cities
          I coach in Halifax, Nova Scotia - I received my certification from the Women's Provincial Coach and the coaching program was developed by Basketball Canada. A certain degree of the program must be completed for a coach to participate in Provincials, even if they are coaching a group of 9 year olds at the lowest level.
          Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• Axel wrote: View Post
            I coach in Halifax, Nova Scotia - I received my certification from the Women's Provincial Coach and the coaching program was developed by Basketball Canada. A certain degree of the program must be completed for a coach to participate in Provincials, even if they are coaching a group of 9 year olds at the lowest level.
            Hmmm....I will have to look into the certification requirements for Alberta.

The guy I learned the most from is now a college coach and took that gig just a few years before I got to high school so I didn't get the chance to be coached by actually good coaches. The rest of my coaches ranked from bad to awful and it didn't seem like they had any certification.

Aside:

Believe it or not...but my high school coach honestly just quoted and ran our practices exactly like Samuel L Jackson in Coach Carter...or he wasn't there and we had to coach our own team (legit left to Toronto for 4 months mid season one year), so I doubt he was properly educated how to teach the game

Comment

• From Sports Illustrated:

http://nba.si.com/2014/03/08/short-c...yo-mike-scott/

DeMar DeRozan is getting better as a passer, and certainly more willing to give up the ball now than he was early in his career. But there’s a reason why you don’t see his feeds pop up as a highlight reel; his career-high 3.9 assists per game largely come by way of quick drops to open cutters, post entry feeds, and passes out to kind-of-open shooters. Toronto’s heightened activity off the ball has given DeRozan more targets on the move, but overall his feel for making plays is merely fair.
              "Bruno?
              Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
              He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

• stooley wrote: View Post
                I guess he is right overall, but we didn't see much passing at all early in his career, either. As for the flashy passing, that too is on the rise. As will be seen in the attached link, he has passed in such a manner several times already this year successfully.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXw75D6rjBI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LsCOndhwOk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dv_d0Bbghdo
                Last edited by YoungGunRaptor; Sat Mar 8, 2014, 09:01 PM.
                I know this may be a bit controversial but I think the Raptors have proven that they're the best team in the NBA from Canada
                -random Facebook user. 2016

Comment

• YoungGunRaptor wrote: View Post
                  I guess he is right overall, but we didn't see much passing at all early in his career, either. As for the flashy passing, that too is on the rise. As will be seen in the attached link, he has passed in such a manner several times already this year successfully.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXw75D6rjBI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LsCOndhwOk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dv_d0Bbghdo
                  pretty sure these were the ONLY times this ever worked. theres also several where he turned it over this way as well. the main thing is hes not getting stuck with the ball as much/turns it over less when he gets doubled teamed.

Comment

• Yeah pretty much, but I don't think he's had this many passing highlights in his career. I agree with you about him not getting stuck. I think its making a big difference on offence and Im glad that he is going away from the static, iso basketball that once plagued this team.
                    I know this may be a bit controversial but I think the Raptors have proven that they're the best team in the NBA from Canada
                    -random Facebook user. 2016

Comment

• You do realize that even in small towns the coaching of organized basketball is influenced by Basketball Canada. The way I sum it up however politically incorrect it may be is that Canadians tend to play white-boy basketball, old school team basketball. Where Americans tend to play street-ball, talent based, one-on-one, in your face, entertainment. Steve Nash might not have been born in Canada but it's where he learned to play basketball. When I was in high-school my coach, Ro Russell was busy deprogramming the players from Canadian basketball and teaching them the NBA game, and it paid off for them in the form of division-one scholarships and in recent years, lottery picks. So I can't even say that white-boy ball is the way to go nowadays, The NBA has evolved into a polished up version of the Globetrotters vs. And-1 All-stars.
                      limpin ain't easy, but I make it look good...

Comment

• No true.

Not one successful NBA player is in that ilk.

None.

No championship team plays And1 ball, no MVP is an and1 scrub.

I agree that there are a lot there.... but thats why the quality of NBA ball is low nowadays. Sadly, "dunks" make people think "quality'. Thats a major misconception.... considering that fans don't even give a shi tabout the Dunk contest anymore.

The best player in the NBA right now, LBJ, will sing the praises of his adopted dedication to practicing the fundamentals of basketball theory and practical preparation any chance he gets...hard to argue that when you see what he has been doing on the court.

Comment

• Prophet2k wrote: View Post
                          You do realize that even in small towns the coaching of organized basketball is influenced by Basketball Canada. The way I sum it up however politically incorrect it may be is that Canadians tend to play white-boy basketball, old school team basketball. Where Americans tend to play street-ball, talent based, one-on-one, in your face, entertainment. Steve Nash might not have been born in Canada but it's where he learned to play basketball. When I was in high-school my coach, Ro Russell was busy deprogramming the players from Canadian basketball and teaching them the NBA game, and it paid off for them in the form of division-one scholarships and in recent years, lottery picks. So I can't even say that white-boy ball is the way to go nowadays,The NBA has evolved into a polished up version of the Globetrotters vs. And-1 All-stars.
                          Got no clue what's going on in Canada basketball, but that couldn't be further from the truth, I couldn't disagree more.

Comment

• iblastoff wrote: View Post
                            pretty sure these were the ONLY times this ever worked. theres also several where he turned it over this way as well. the main thing is hes not getting stuck with the ball as much/turns it over less when he gets doubled teamed.
                            I really find it funny when people bring up turnovers with DeRozan as a negative.

Among players with a USG% > 25 and AST% > 15, he has the lowest turnover rate (9.1%) after Dirk Nowitzki (7.0%).

Comment

• imanshumpert wrote: View Post
                              I really find it funny when people bring up turnovers with DeRozan as a negative.

Among players with a USG% > 25 and AST% > 15, he has the lowest turnover rate (9.1%) after Dirk Nowitzki (7.0%).
                              who said he was crazy turnover prone? im talking about before whenever he got double teamed. hes CLEARLY improved with clearing the ball out of there.

Comment

• Anyone watching this Bulls/Heat game? Lebron was in the same situation as DeRozan a couple of weeks ago. He had a chance to win the game for the Heat. LeBron iso vs Butler. Guess who won?

Butler is unreal.
                                Mamba Mentality

Comment

Working...
                                X