Everything Derozan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• imanshumpert wrote: View Post
    They're not mutually exclusive. You can be pro-Raptors and pro-DeMar.

Hell you can be pro-Ross and pro-DeMar (something a few here don't seem to understand).
    It's that old cliche. The name on the front is more important than the name on the back.

Comment

• DeMar should be used as the sixth man next year even if we get VC. It would give him the ball and allow him to concentrate on offense ( ball handling, passing, decision making ). Sixth man plays starters minutes but conctrates oin of fence cans usually plays the fourth unless your like Harden who plays no defense)

Comment

• I loved DeMar's game last night. He's more and more capable of that, as his defense, passing, rebounding, and decision-making all continue to improve, it's all the more reason for him to take 3-5 fewer shots per night. Please DeMar, get that Kobe-light self-image out of your head. You can help the team so much by being aggressive and being a leader who plays a well-rounded game instead of jacking up 20 FGA.

Please see Lowry, Kyle. The guy could go for 20+ ppg if he wanted to, but he puts his energy into whatever aspect of his game is needed at the time. DD ends up getting the All-Star nod with the scoring, but ask anybody who follows the team which single player has been the biggest key to this year's success, and 9 out of 10 will tell you it's Lowry. Just win, baby.
        Last edited by S.R.; Thu May 1, 2014, 12:23 PM.
        "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• Puffer wrote: View Post
          What encourages me on the DD front is his improvement every year on the aspects of his game that need improvement.

I believe that after the playoffs, however far the Raps get, DD is going to sit down with a coach and examine how he was played in the playoffs and examine every play where he was trapped, had a pass deflected or lost control of the ball. I think he is that kind of a guy. And next year (particularly during the season, when the Raps will have more offensive threats due to TRoss and JV improving plus whatever moves MU makes) DeMar will show us an improved passing game and a better response to double teams. He is not a stupid man and has his head set on becoming the best player he can possibly be.

I think DD continues to improve his game for the next 2-3 years. That is my opinion. Based on what has gone before.
          This is exactly what I thought. I'm glad the Nets are throwing this at him since it's a defence he's never really had used against him consistently so he'll be able to learn from it. That's what it means by getting playoff experience, knowing how to adapt to these different situations and I have full confidence that he will.

Comment

• raptors999 wrote: View Post
            DeMar should be used as the sixth man next year even if we get VC. It would give him the ball and allow him to concentrate on offense ( ball handling, passing, decision making ). Sixth man plays starters minutes but conctrates oin of fence cans usually plays the fourth unless your like Harden who plays no defense)
            I don't see how putting him on the bench helps at all, he's perfectly capable of succeeding against starters. Anyway, the way Casey staggers the minutes he has DeRozan start the 2nd and 4th with the bench so it's like he's off the bench in that sense.

Imagine the controversy if we got VC and DeRozan came off the bench though, wow. This site might explode.

Comment

• If it creates controversy then start him but use him as a sixth man.Start vs Bench is less important than 10 years ago when teams went ISO into the playoffs. DD needs to anchor a unit by himself without Lowry

Comment

• Other Scott wrote: View Post
                Because I'm just joining the forum, I should announce my position:

Pro-DD
                mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
                I'm pro-Raptors
                Are you once again implying one can't be a Derozan supporter and still be "Pro-Raptors"? Lame. :P Lol

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                It's that old cliche. The name on the front is more important than the name on the back.
                This is the Demar thread, where Demar related debates are taking place.
                Scott was simply stating which side of that particular debate he sits.

Comment

• raptors999 wrote: View Post
                  DeMar should be used as the sixth man next year even if we get VC. It would give him the ball and allow him to concentrate on offense ( ball handling, passing, decision making ). Sixth man plays starters minutes but conctrates oin of fence cans usually plays the fourth unless your like Harden who plays no defense)
                  I disagree soooo much.

Comment

• Joey wrote: View Post
                    This is the Demar thread, where Demar related debates are taking place.
                    Scott was simply stating which side of that particular debate he sits.
                    Guys, we need a bi-partisan effort if we're ever gonna get anything done around here.
                    "Bruno?
                    Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
                    He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

• stooley wrote: View Post
                      Guys, we need a bi-partisan effort if we're ever gonna get anything done around here.
                      Lol

Only thing more silly is democrat vs republican.

Comment

• imanshumpert wrote: View Post
                        They're not mutually exclusive. You can be pro-Raptors and pro-DeMar.

Hell you can be pro-Ross and pro-DeMar (something a few here don't seem to understand).
                        Pretty sure we mean that in different senses. When I say I'm pro-Demar, it means I think Demar is a pretty great player and was probably deserving of making that All-Star team (though only because there's a dearth of great EC guards).

When mcHappy says he's pro-Raptors, he means that not in the sense that he thinks the Raptors are great (though they're obviously at least a very good team), he means that in the sense that he wants what's necessary to make the Raptors a better team, including trading Demar if necessary, for the right price.

In my opinion, no one is going to blow the Raptors away with an offer for DeRozan. There's a reason you don't see teams trade their star players away very often.

I think DeRozan was pretty good last night, though he had a much easier task than some of the other games since Lowry was on fire and Brooklyn wasn't pressuring nearly as well as they had been throughout the series. He hasn't had a fantastic game yet, but that first half of Game 4 was unreal, the best half any Raptor has played to this point. Ultimately, Brooklyn isn't a great matchup for him because Joe Johnson puts him out of sorts on the defensive end.
                        That is a normal collar. Move on, find a new slant.

Comment

Pretty sure we mean that in different senses. When I say I'm pro-Demar, it means I think Demar is a pretty great player and was probably deserving of making that All-Star team (though only because there's a dearth of great EC guards).

When mcHappy says he's pro-Raptors, he means that not in the sense that he thinks the Raptors are great (though they're obviously at least a very good team), he means that in the sense that he wants what's necessary to make the Raptors a better team, including trading Demar if necessary, for the right price.

In my opinion, no one is going to blow the Raptors away with an offer for DeRozan. There's a reason you don't see teams trade their star players away very often.

I think DeRozan was pretty good last night, though he had a much easier task than some of the other games since Lowry was on fire and Brooklyn wasn't pressuring nearly as well as they had been throughout the series. He hasn't had a fantastic game yet, but that first half of Game 4 was unreal, the best half any Raptor has played to this point. Ultimately, Brooklyn isn't a great matchup for him because Joe Johnson puts him out of sorts on the defensive end.
                          I like this new guy. Somebody get this kid an avatar!!
                          Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

I like your post. Good thoughts. Well balanced and rationale.... we'll beat that out of you yet

Regarding bold, a big reason Brooklyn wasn't pressuring nearly as well was because there was nothing to pressure when the ball didn't stick. Recognize you don't have an opportunity and get rid of the ball quicker than quick instead of forcing and there is nothing to trap.

Comment

• mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
                              Lots of talk about DeRozan still having a lot of untapped potential.
                              I personally don't get the "untapped potential". Honestly DD is an extremely limited player talent wise, however he works his ass off so he is a very good player in the league.

For example, James Harden is an extremely talented player (he can do everything), but he isn't necessarily known to be a gym rat or a hard worker (especially on D). Harden enjoyed success upon entering into the NBA and has risen to the top pretty quickly because he had the talent. Compare him to DD, who came into this league and struggled for 4 YEARS before his hard work payed off and he started to catch Mr. Harden in year 5.

There will be a point where DD's improvements stop because he will come up against the "talent barrier". This is seen already with his lack of advanced handle and struggle to improve his three point shot, I would also argue that he does not see passing lanes that well.

S.R. wrote: View Post
                              Please see Lowry, Kyle. The guy could go for 20+ ppg if he wanted to, but he puts his energy into whatever aspect of his game is needed at the time. DD ends up getting the All-Star nod with the scoring, but ask anybody who follows the team which single player has been the biggest key to this year's success, and 9 out of 10 will tell you it's Lowry. Just win, baby.
                              Nice little nugget here. Analogy: Less is more

DD needs to stop trying to score, and start playing basketball for the finer points. Celebrate the pass, the hockey assist, the beautiful cut, the inside out, the 7 pass open shot, making the other team scramble on D like your puppets. Those little this lead to winning (see Spurs).

One of my biggest gripes against DD is that I think the Raps are best when he does less. This was seen in quarters 2 and 3* when we exploded against the Nets....he didn't try and do anything, he just played within the team. If he can learn to do that all game every game then ALL of the "inefficient/ball sticking/selfish/blah blah offense" etc bad-talk about DD goes right out the window.

*I'm leaving out 4th Q because that was on Salmons+Hayes+GV+Patterson

Comment

• OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
                                I personally don't get the "untapped potential". Honestly DD is an extremely limited player talent wise, however he works his ass off so he is a very good player in the league.

For example, James Harden is an extremely talented player (he can do everything), but he isn't necessarily known to be a gym rat or a hard worker (especially on D). Harden enjoyed success upon entering into the NBA and has risen to the top pretty quickly because he had the talent. Compare him to DD, who came into this league and struggled for 4 YEARS before his hard work payed off and he started to catch Mr. Harden in year 5.

There will be a point where DD's improvements stop because he will come up against the "talent barrier". This is seen already with his lack of advanced handle and struggle to improve his three point shot, I would also argue that he does not see passing lanes that well.
                                Not gonna try and start a fight, just to elaborate on that potential.

When DD came into the league he was drafted as a complete project, if I recall correctly. So that's why his development curve is a little steeper. He was a guy who could dunk, that's it.

I don't see why a guy who works his ass off, with the proper coaching, couldn't continue to improve. The worse parts of his game are mostly skill based. They aren't innate like height or speed.

Things he'll be able to improve: awareness (as he ages), dribbling and range.

Things he won't ever be that great at: breaking guys down off the dribble and defence (due to his lack of a first step and lateral quickness, respectively).

It just doesn't make much sense to me that there's some kind of genetic factor limiting his ability to dribble.
                                "Bruno?
                                Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
                                He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

Working...
                                X