View Poll Results: Grade Derozan's Season.

Voters
67. You may not vote on this poll
  • A

1 1.49%
  • B

18 26.87%
  • C

40 59.70%
  • D

8 11.94%
  • F

0 0%
Page 29 of 230 FirstFirst ... 19 27 28 29 30 31 39 79 129 ... LastLast

Thread: Everything Demar Derozan

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Arsenalist wrote: View Post
    The score on DD's second was fair and he got a deserved 50. I'm not sold on his first. It was technically more difficult than Griffin's second, and took about the same number of tries. Problem was that the finish wasn't hard and the crowd didn't respond to it as well, maybe it being the first dunk and all. Judges get influenced by the crowd and that's why it was a 44.
    He and Amir got out of sync on the first one and with 50 seconds remaining I began to doubt if he was going to pull it off and then immediately, bam! The stuff leading up to the dunk kind of threw it off for me a little and it seems like the crowd felt the same. That said, it was very similar to the dunk Iggy made which I felt was good enough to beat Nate a few years back.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Finals should've been DeRozan and Ibaka. I won't say he was robbed like last year, but he should've made it to the finals. It was just handed to Griffin.

Raptors Republic Starter Buschfire's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default ESPN's Hollingers thoughts on the Dunk Comp

"In truth, McGee should have been facing DeMar DeRozan in the final instead of Griffin, but the hometown Los Angeles crowd swayed the judges heavily in Griffin's favor. In particular, Griffin received 46 points on a first-round dunk from a pass off the side of the backboard. DeRozan did the same thing, except he passed the ball between his legs after the catch -- a far more difficult maneuver. Nonetheless, he only got 44 points for his effort. Given that Griffin beat out DeRozan by a point for entry into the final, it was a grievous judging error.

DeRozan's other jam, titled the "Show Stopper," was spectacular enough to earn a perfect score of 50 without any props. He threw a bounced alley-oop on the right side the court, caught it one hand, swooped the ball under the hoop and reversed it one motion without ever bringing it back into his left hand.

Serge Ibaka came in fourth despite also submitting two fairly strong dunks. He might have fared better if he'd thrown it down more emphatically on his first, where he took off from the free throw line and juuuuuuust nudged it over the rim. This wasn't one of those fake free throw line dunks we've seen in past contests; he legitimately took off from the foul line, but he got only 45 points.

Between Ibaka's free throw line dunk, the DeRozan swoop, the DeRozan between-the-legs dunk and the McGee dunks with two rims and three balls, there were five iconic dunks in the first round.

None of those, you'll notice, were by the winner. Griffin had two misses on what would have been spectacular windmill dunks on his first try and ended up settling for a less emphatic jam on the one he actually made. Nonetheless, he received an incredibly generous score of 49 for that one. Nonetheless, I'm not sure the excitement in the arena every time Griffin walked up could be accurately conveyed on television. It's not necessarily fair, but it's the reason he won."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/allsta...contest-110220 - source

Post Thanks / Like

Nice find.
    Glad to hear he's thinking what we all already knew.
    Hollinger just went from -1430 points in my book to -1429.

Raptors Republic Starter blaze89's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

glad somebody besides us realizes this derozans difficulty level on both his dunks were way higher then griffins and his second dunk was absolutely flawless.
    guarentee you if he was playing on a team with more media coverage in the states he would of deffinately been in the finals and if not won it all.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Demar's dunks were better than Blake's.....BUT...Demar knows it is all a gimmick/novelty contest now. He should've thrown out one novelty dunk in the first round to "wow" the crowd. He knew what he was getting into, the uneducated fans don't care about pure dunks, just stupid props. Plus, he went first, and Amir couldn't set him up to save his life.

Kinda Demar's fault people. I realize that 44 was too low compared to Blake's 46 later, but the dunk contest is a big stage show know, no way you gonna win it without some stupid prop unfortunately. Dunk contest officially jumped the shark the minute that superman cape came into play a couple years ago.

Raptors Republic All-Star RaptorsFan4Life's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

EPIC!

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote RaptorsFan4Life wrote: View Post

EPIC!
    It truly was. That was my favourite dunk this year.

In hindsight he should have brought the ShowStopper out first. Did the Amir pass 2nd. I can only imagine what he had planned for the finals.

Raptors Republic Starter Hassan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

both Ibaka and demar got robbed IMO

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default DeRozan Post-Theft Interview (ASG)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    I can only imagine what he had planned for the finals.
    He'll apparently put some video up on Twitter of what he had planned for the finals. Love it. So considerate of him. haha

Post Thanks / Like

Which I believe he says in this actually.. haha Didn't see you had posted it.

Raptors Republic All-Star ebrian's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Rigged or not, DeMar probably would have received a higher score on his first dunk if he didn't go first. Judges always hold back on the first dunk of the night.

Also, if he'd brought Jose Calderon (a player who actually knows how to pass) instead of Amir Johnson, and gotten his dunk on the first try, even going first he would have gotten a 46 or 47.

My issue with each of JaVale's dunks is that it took so many tries. That has to count for something. Even if there's a time limit, if a guy tries it 6 times before getting it, it's lost a lot of luster for me.
    your pal,
    ebrian

Raptors Republic Starter RikkJames's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

On Griffins 1st dunk, the one he completed isnt as difficult as the first one he attempted..everyone thinks its the same dunk, but it isnt, on his 1st attempt he brought the ball down to his side almost to hip level, which is why his head looked almost sideways, he missed that one twice, then did the old statue of liberty dunk , finishing 2 handed..but nowhere near the same dunk he originally tried. On his second of the 1st round, he kept failing on the 360 , that he just did a regular windmill off the side of the board...Demar went off the support behind the board and went through the legs on his first dunk and scored lower.
    McGee's dunks, for a 7 footer with some coordination, were'nt really that difficult.

Post Thanks / Like

"I'm a dunker. Dunk contests, you go out there and dunk. I'm not into all the props and everything."
    -Demar Derozan
    Demar says he'll reconsider not doing it next year if they will reconsider all the props

At least he acknowledges that he was ripped off, and rightfully so.

Raptors Republic All-Star Employee's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Link here:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=6147372

Best part about this is DD showing some personality and he's rightfully pissed off.
    Eh follow my TWITTER!

Raptors Republic Superstar heinz57's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
    Demar says he'll reconsider not doing it next year if they will reconsider all the props

At least he acknowledges that he was ripped off, and rightfully so.
    props are ruining the dunk contest the way auto-tuning is ruining the music industry.

at first it seemed like a good idea, even if it was clearly gimmicky.. but now people think its a legit way to operate

Blake Griffin is the Lil Jon of dunking. nowhere near the most talented at what he does, but brings nifty toys to distract you from his lack of ability

Post Thanks / Like

Quote heinz57 wrote: View Post
    props are ruining the dunk contest the way auto-tuning is ruining the music industry.

at first it seemed like a good idea, even if it was clearly gimmicky.. but now people think its a legit way to operate

Blake Griffin is the Lil Jon of dunking. nowhere near the most talented at what he does, but brings nifty toys to distract you from his lack of ability
    Fully Awesome.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

+1

Raptors Republic All-Star Employee's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Heinz please don't diss Lil Jon in my presence.

That dude never uses an auto tuner!
    Eh follow my TWITTER!

Thread Information