Everything Derozan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
    Not to take anything away from last night's performance, but "games like this" are so rare. It's far more commonplace for DeRozan to have a 25% shooting night.

That said, DeRozan could be a part of the long-term core if the coaches would instill some shot discipline in him. Casey needs to do what McHale is doing with Josh Smith.
    I actually like the way DeRozan plays when he has broader responsibilities on the court. With Lowry out, it seems like DeRozan has stepped up and tried to be more of a leader, realizing [finally?] that leading doesn't = trying to do more all by himself.

He's been an effective facilitator and contributed in more areas, including solid rebounding and man-to-man defense (he so often gets made to look like a lost puppy in DC's scramble system).

Even though he took 26 shots against Houston, the majority of them were attacking the basket or from what I would consider good looks. There was a stretch early in the game when he was being lazy and resorting to hero-ball, really forcing his own game, but then he seemed to switch gears entirely; I was quite impressed.

The biggest 'haters' have said for years that if DeRozan would play like this more consistently (more all around contribution, rather than just forcing his offense to pad his scoring stats), that he would be hugely beneficial to the team.

The only other issue I see factoring into any trade/keep DeRozan discussion, is the ETO, which could leave the Raptors high and dry.

Comment

Not to take anything away from last night's performance, but "games like this" are so rare. It's far more commonplace for DeRozan to have a 25% shooting night.

That said, DeRozan could be a part of the long-term core if the coaches would instill some shot discipline in him. Casey needs to do what McHale is doing with Josh Smith.
      And not even to that degree! All it would take is a little flow to the offense. We have a pretty athletic team, and they all just stand around while one man dribbles. Yes, DeMar and Amir do their little shovel-pass off the screen thing, but eventually defenses catch-on and it stops working.

Comment

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post

The only other issue I see factoring into any trade/keep DeRozan discussion, is the ETO, which could leave the Raptors high and dry.
        Yep

Comment

In a team with almost ZERO talents on the floor, no offensive scheme where everyone is just standing around and doing NOTHiNG, You are mad at the guy who is carrying the team and is wining game for you !!!

Our offence is flawed and in a better offensive scheme, with better players around who are willing to share the ball and will put DD in a better situations, you will see how much DD will improve.

This is a guy with a great work ethics, a guy who has improved one aspect of him game every summer and a guy who plays hard every single night.

Trading him and his 10 million dollar contract when you have no one to replace him and without looking at his game under new coach, new system, is the most illogical thing that Raptors can do.

Although, that being said I won't be surprise, Raptor fans have tendency to hate on the alpha dog on their team and put all their hopes on the upcoming potentials. We have seen it with Bosh, AB, DD and ...

Comment

• McRealistic wrote: View Post
            In a team with almost ZERO talents on the floor, no offensive scheme where everyone is just standing around and doing NOTHiNG, You are mad at the guy who is carrying the team and is wining game for you !!!

Our offence is flawed and in a better offensive scheme, with better players around who are willing to share the ball and will put DD in a better situations, you will see how much DD will improve.

This is a guy with a great work ethics, a guy who has improved one aspect of him game every summer and a guy who plays hard every single night.

Trading him and his 10 million dollar contract when you have no one to replace him and without looking at his game under new coach, new system, is the most illogical thing that Raptors can do.

Although, that being said I won't be surprise, Raptor fans have tendency to hate on the alpha dog on their team and put all their hopes on the upcoming potentials. We have seen it with Bosh, AB, DD and ...
            I didn't read anything in Nilanka's post that made him seem mad.
            "Stop eating your sushi."
            "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
            "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
            - Jack Armstrong

Comment

Games like this makes me wonder what some of the fans here think when they are asking for this guy to be traded while he is only making 10 million.

Who do we have who can play like this ?

You are talking about building block :

1) DD
              2) Lowry
              3) J.V.

With these guys in place, you would need that super star, option one to come in and make this a championship team. If anything, u might want to trade Lowry for a pass first PG but trading DD next year is just not the right move.
              Nilanka wrote: View Post

Hahahahaha "games like this." That game was a career high in points and tied a career high in rebounds. That was the first "game like this" in DeMar's entire professional basketball career, so let's not make it sound like it happens every week or two.

I like DeMar at $10m a year - he's a bargain. I'm interested in how he might play under a different coach. I love it when he focuses on playmaking, rebounding, and defence. I don't want him if he's going to be the highest paid player on the team under his next contract, take 15+FGA and shoot 40%.
              "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

Also, the bolded is horseshit.
                "Stop eating your sushi."
                "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
                "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
                - Jack Armstrong

Comment

• Now that Demar had the best night of his career, every demar fan is going to come out and start claiming he's a superstar, completely forgetting the rest of his season.
                  "Stay steamy"

- Kobe

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post
                    Hahahahaha "games like this." That game was a career high in points and tied a career high in rebounds. That was the first "game like this" in DeMar's entire professional basketball career, so let's not make it sound like it happens every week or two.

I like DeMar at $10m a year - he's a bargain. I'm interested in how he might play under a different coach. I love it when he focuses on playmaking, rebounding, and defence. I don't want him if he's going to be the highest paid player on the team under his next contract, take 15+FGA and shoot 40%.

And that is the risk of keeping and extending.

Big decisions looming with substantial ramifications.

Do you risk him leaving for nothing?

Do you try a new coach and risk finding out he really is a low IQ, high volume scorer?

Do you sign him to a huge contract next summer for fear of losing an asset for nothing?

Or....... does he continue to be an anomaly in his career and continue to improve beyond his 4th season?

I'm in the camp of trading him because I believe he is going to be seeking the max or as close to it as possible. I don't know DD so this is purely my opinion but:

1) contract value is a status symbol in the NBA.
                    2) DD views himself as an NBA All-star
                    3) DD views his last contract as a bargain and is looking to maximize his earning potential. This is likely his 'BIG' payday.

If there is a good deal for him, I would trade him because:

1) assets coming back should make team better (hence a good deal),
                    2) gives Raptors more cap space and financial flexibility.
                    3) he is 26 and going in to his 7th NBA season next year - days of youth and potential should be nearing an end.

Comment

• hotfuzz wrote: View Post
                      Now that Demar had the best night of his career, every demar fan is going to come out and start claiming he's a superstar, completely forgetting the rest of his season.
                      It is natural to have confidence in your opinion when the latest evidence supports it.

Beating a western conference playoff team and DD having a great game doesn't change the team is under .500 for the last 42 games.

Comment

Now that Demar had the best night of his career, every demar fan is going to come out and start claiming he's a superstar, completely forgetting the rest of his season.
                        It was a great night and the Raps won - props to DeMar, they would have gotten blown out without him.

But let's temper it with the fact that James Harden was defending DD. When I YouTube James Harden I find some great videos with titles like "JAMES HARDEN PLAYS NO DEFENSE" and "James Harden: The worst perimeter defender in the NBA" and "James Harden speaks honestly about his defensive issues."

Again, great night for DeMar, can we just give him props for a great game without swinging to the "See! This is the stud we need to build everything around!" hyperbole?
                        "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
                          And that is the risk of keeping and extending.

Big decisions looming with substantial ramifications.

Do you risk him leaving for nothing?

Do you try a new coach and risk finding out he really is a low IQ, high volume scorer?

Do you sign him to a huge contract next summer for fear of losing an asset for nothing?

Or....... does he continue to be an anomaly in his career and continue to improve beyond his 4th season?

I'm in the camp of trading him because I believe he is going to be seeking the max or as close to it as possible. I don't know DD so this is purely my opinion but:

1) contract value is a status symbol in the NBA.
                          2) DD views himself as an NBA All-star
                          3) DD views his last contract as a bargain and is looking to maximize his earning potential. This is likely his 'BIG' payday.

If there is a good deal for him, I would trade him because:

1) assets coming back should make team better (hence a good deal),
                          2) gives Raptors more cap space and financial flexibility.
                          3) he is 26 and going in to his 7th NBA season next year - days of youth and potential should be nearing an end.
                          I think you keep him and see what happens with a new coach, Unless a deal comes up that has incredible value. Like Wiggins/Lottery pick level value.

Lowry signed a good value deal, I would be surprised if Derozan thinks he's that much more important than his buddy so I don't worry about that too much.

You see if he can produce All-star numbers under a new coach, if he doesn't or if he wants a big payday then you move him next year. He'll still have value, You have a GM who gets pretty good returns out of deals, and you gave him a shot to prove what he can do in a new system.

So unless you get an offer that blows your socks off I don't think you trade him before you give him some burn under a new coach.

Comment

• Bandit wrote: View Post
                            I think you keep him and see what happens with a new coach, Unless a deal comes up that has incredible value. Like Wiggins/Lottery pick level value.

Lowry signed a good value deal, I would be surprised if Derozan thinks he's that much more important than his buddy so I don't worry about that too much.

You see if he can produce All-star numbers under a new coach, if he doesn't or if he wants a big payday then you move him next year. He'll still have value, You have a GM who gets pretty good returns out of deals, and you gave him a shot to prove what he can do in a new system.

So unless you get an offer that blows your socks off I don't think you trade him before you give him some burn under a new coach.
                            The concern is with players who have that player option tend not to return value equal to their worth the longer one waits.

That comes back to the risks.

If I didn't feel he was going to look for $20m+ on his next deal, I would be interestd in seeing what happens with a new coach.

Comment

I'm not going to claim he's a superstar. At the same time I'm not going to complain about 19.5ppg/4.7reb/3.3ast/1.2st. Sure, the 40% shooting is questionable, but he gets to the line enough that it shouldn't matter. I've never understood what the hell is so bad with thinking that DeMar is a superstar. He's the best player we've ever had (to my knowledge) who's said that he wants to retire a Raptor, and he has continuously improved since being drafted here. While we may be forgetting the rest of season (which, by the way, hasn't been all that bad), I think YOU are forgetting the more important things he's done for this team.

Comment

• 92TillInfinity wrote: View Post
                                I'm not going to claim he's a superstar. At the same time I'm not going to complain about 19.5ppg/4.7reb/3.3ast/1.2st. Sure, the 40% shooting is questionable, but he gets to the line enough that it shouldn't matter. I've never understood what the hell is so bad with thinking that DeMar is a superstar. He's the best player we've ever had (to my knowledge) who's said that he wants to retire a Raptor, and he has continuously improved since being drafted here. While we may be forgetting the rest of season (which, by the way, hasn't been all that bad), I think YOU are forgetting the more important things he's done for this team.
                                Umm Vince?
                                Mamba Mentality

Comment

Working...
                                X