Everything Derozan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DanH wrote: View Post
    If they trade Lowry, they are taking a big step back in wins. In that case, might as well trade DeMar rather than let him walk next summer (as he will probably not want to re-sign).
    Is he a RFA next year ? Are we the team that can offer him the most money next year ?

I am still not sold on moving DD. I would want to evaluate him more without Lowry ... he is still young and I don't think he will walk away from the extra money.

Comment

• McRealistic wrote: View Post
      Is he a RFA next year ? Are we the team that can offer him the most money next year ?

I am still not sold on moving DD. I would want to evaluate him more without Lowry ... he is still young and I don't think he will walk away from the extra money.
      DeMar has a player option he'd need to pick up to opt in next summer at the same rate he's making now. If he did that, it would be shocking, given how low his current yearly rate is. If he opts out, the likeliest case, he'll be an unrestricted free agent, but Toronto will have his bird rights and can offer one extra year (I believe that's how it works).

But an important angle to this debate is how timing and trading Lowry could affect DeMar's very trade value.

If one is going to take the view that they'd like to see him play without Lowry, that's a tricky situation. Is the team likely to be better without Lowry next year? Probably not. And if the team is doing worse to the extent that they might miss (or will definitely miss) the playoffs, then Toronto is in a very difficult position. All the pressure will be on Toronto to make a move and not let DeMar walk for nothing. But he is not Melo. Can't ransom him and have two stupidly run teams bidding the farm on him, because he's not that franchise-altering player. Could make it a lot harder to get the value Masai might want for such a player.

I don't know if it's necessarily going to be easier to get that value now (in the summer). It could make no difference at all in the end. But yeah, it's hard to imagine that becoming a worse team next year and still having him on the roster will make it easier to get good value for him.

And if you trade Lowry first, the return there could make them more willing to risk a lower-value offer on DeMar. If the return on Lowry is great, maybe you wait and see how DeMar plays, to see if it could up his value regardless, and be ok risking that it could mean a lower return than if you trade him before the season.

Comment

• Axel wrote: View Post
        This is basically how I feel. We need to move Lowry, and should try very hard to move Demar right afterwards.
        We should only move both if the goal is to be a guaranteed lottery team. There's a difference between taking a step back and guaranteed lottery. I personally think the goal is to build on the last two years.

If we get a pass first PG who can defend and run plays (My preference would be Cory Joseph)....it's hard to see how much of a step back it would be. We can give JV a larger role (I'm assuming he will be better next year - bump him up an option) to see what he can really do. Bring in a starting SF/PF and a backup C and then re-evaluate.

We'd still have the option of trading DD during the season. Obviously, I'd rather take the risk of keeping Demar. Here are my reasons...

1) I don't think a team is going to give you anything worthwhile for a UFA on a 1 year rental. I guess it's possible and maybe there's tons of cases to prove me wrong, but I just don't think its happening.

2) Sometimes perception is important. Bosh didn't re-sign for a second time. VC didn't get a chance to re-sign either. It would be great for the franchise if Demar (The dude from LA) wanted to stay up North. Good teams just don't trade away a young all-star caliber player(unless said player wants out or indicates it - or they receive an offer they cannot refuse)....Good teams would try to convince that player to stay.

3) I actually think we have a good chance at keeping him on a fair contract. I would guess somewhere around +/- 16MIL with the cap jumping. He may get +/-18MIL if he makes the all-star team again this coming season.

The Truth is we had Demar at a bargain for the past few years. He's our #1/2 option making 9.5-10Mil. He's got potential to be an all-star again while making 10Mil.

Let's see how all this plays out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• If DD plays anything like he did the last two months of the season his worth anywhere between 15-20 mil with the new cap. The numbers he was putting up to end the season were elite. People throwing the only played 11 games in April to discredit his POM award should look at the precious month. Where played he played 15 games. Is 4 games that big of a difference?
          @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
            If DD plays anything like he did the last two months of the season his worth anywhere between 15-20 mil with the new cap. The numbers he was putting up to end the season were elite. People throwing the only played 11 games in April to discredit his POM award should look at the precious month. Where played he played 15 games. Is 4 games that big of a difference?
            Andrea Bargnani's 13

Have you forgotten already?

Comment

• OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
              Andrea Bargnani's 13

Have you forgotten already?
              13 games < 26 games
              @Chr1st1anL

Comment

13 games < 26 games
                26 games << 82 games

I mean, what exactly is your point here?

Comment

13 games < 26 games
                  11 game player of the month. DD certainly did not play well for 26 games straight.

His best stretch was the last 8 games. In which he still had 2 games under 42% shooting.

The 9/10/11 games? 10%/37%/29% shooting.

Games 12/13. Good

Games 14/15? 29%/32% shooting

You gotta wake up and take off those rose coloured glasses dude.

DD is a low impact player who doesn't have the skill set that compliments a star player, who is also going to cause contract/salary issues down the road. Time to cash in and get maximum value for the guy. He isn't a true star player, but he may net us one.

Comment

11 game player of the month. DD certainly did not play well for 26 games straight.

His best stretch was the last 8 games. In which he still had 2 games under 42% shooting.

Games 12/13. Good

DD is a low impact player who doesn't have the skill set that compliments a star player, who is also going to cause contract/salary issues down the road. Time to cash in and get maximum value for the guy. He isn't a true star player, but he may net us one.
                    Hater be like
                    Abbas wrote:

First of all i was my own source

Comment

Games 12/13. Good

DD's tear started March 3rd. Go check his game log.

http://espn.go.com/nba/player/gamelo.../demar-derozan
                      @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• How can you guys never tire of this argument? Doesn't it get repetitive or anything?

Comment

• I'm done. Will see what will happens this off season.
                          @Chr1st1anL

Comment

DD's tear started March 3rd. Go check his game log.

http://espn.go.com/nba/player/gamelo.../demar-derozan
                            I looked at the game logs. Where do you think I got the FG% of those games?

Truth is, he was no where near consistent over that stretch, and certainly did not play good for 26 games. He had like a week of good rebounding and assist numbers. The remainder of those games he had odd games of good assists/rebounds. Other than that his production was very scattered and inconsistent, exactly like the guy's career.

#tradem

Comment

• Mindlessness wrote: View Post
                              How can you guys never tire of this argument? Doesn't it get repetitive or anything?
                              lol thats why i dont argue anymore, just laugh at the pepople that do

its fucking offseason people need to chill the hell out
                              Abbas wrote:

First of all i was my own source

Comment

• Abbas wrote: View Post
                                lol thats why i dont argue anymore, just laugh at the pepople that do

its fucking offseason people need to chill the hell out
                                Right, chill out guys, no more posting as per this guys orders.

Comment

Working...
                                X