Everything Derozan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• S.R. wrote: View Post
    Ugh, you just reminded me of how much I hated the offense by the end of the year. "But we have the #3 ORTG!"

Isn't it really as simple as giving a few of the guards' high volume, low efficiency shots to other players in their preferred spots (where they're much more efficient than 30-40%)? Not even all the shots, just a few of them. DeMar and Lowry will still be the highest usage guys, but get the three point shooters a couple more three's, get your p'n'r bigs a couple more buckets on the roll, get your post players a couple more buckets in the post, get some spot-up shooters open off of off-ball screens, etc. Is it too much to ask? Is it rocket science?
    Having your highest paid player be a spot-up shooter/hustle guy should help catalyze organization change.

Comment

• Bonus Jonas wrote: View Post
      This isn't true either though. He took a ton of long two's in his rookie year too. But the ratio wasn't as lopsided
      And what happens if he's finally comfortable transforming those long 2s into 3s, just in time for his big-contract season?

Comment

This isn't true either though. He took a ton of long two's in his rookie year too. But the ratio wasn't as lopsided
        Yeah, he still took a third of his shots between 16ft-3Pt (31% in his rookie year, 34% this year). Hit almost exactly the same percentage as last year (36% vs 35%).

But the point is valid - his attempts at the rim dropped from 45% of his shots in his rookie year to 19% this year.

Then again, last year (2013-14) was probably his best year and yet he took his lowest number of shots at the rim that year (15%).
        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post
          Yeah, shot selection was much different the first year. He played more within himself, imho.
          You can't consistently get to the rim in a first option role as a guard/wing unless you're LeBron. Even Harden who's one of the best slashers in the game has to jack up a ton of outside shots. Especially in the playoffs when defenses really buckle down.

Comment

• JWash wrote: View Post
            You can't consistently get to the rim in a first option role as a guard/wing unless you're LeBron. Even Harden who's one of the best slashers in the game has to jack up a ton of outside shots. Especially in the playoffs when defenses really buckle down.
            Both Harden and James took over 30% of their shots at the rim, and neither has ever been below 27% (and each has only dropped below 30% once in their career). DeRozan hasn't been above 20% in either of the past two years, nor above 27% since his second year.
            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
              Both Harden and James took over 30% of their shots at the rim, and neither has ever been below 27% (and each has only dropped below 30% once in their career). DeRozan hasn't been above 20% in either of the past two years, nor above 27% since his second year.
              Yeah cause they're on another planet than him as players and legit #1 options.

Comment

• Lets not act like Casey hasn't had a ball movement offense before. Last year he just tried to maximize what he had on his roster. He saw Lou Will's one on one scoring ability and turned him into the 6th man of the year.

Now the roster is built for a more ball movement offense and better defense. I don't think the team will be top 5 in offense but, has a chance to be top10 like two years ago. With the D going back into the top10.
                @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Who exactly would be a good comparable then?

Jimmy Butler? 34%
                  Monta Ellis? 25%

Everyone I found that has a proportion of shots at the rim similar to DeMar can shoot the three.
                  twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
                    And what happens if he's finally comfortable transforming those long 2s into 3s, just in time for his big-contract season?
                    I guess it'll be nice but would be even more shitty when you wake up

Comment

I guess it'll be nice but would be even more shitty when you wake up
                      He was over 30% the season before last, and he lit it up from the left corner last season. I'd be pretty surprised if he didn't break through the 32% mark next season, given the amount of money virtually riding on it (not that he won't get paid hansomely regardless). Last offseason the primary focus was his ballhandling, smart money has it shifting to his 3-ball as we speak.

Comment

DanH wrote: View Post
                        JWash wrote: View Post
                        Well that's a convenient qualifier - it rules out everyone in the league except for LeBron? Not sure what the point is then.

NBA player tracking data has many non-LeBron scorers ahead of DeMar on PPG on drives to the basket (to use one of a number of available indicators of ability to get inside to score and frequency of doing so), including: Tyreke Evans, Reggie Jackson, MCW, Damian Lillard, Jeff Teague, Monta Ellis, Eric Bledsoe, Kemba Walker, Gordon Hayward, Victor Oladipo...

A number of those guys would be facing #1 perimeter defenders, fwiw.

Also, DeMar increased his ppg on drives in both last year's and this year's playoffs vs. his regular season numbers. He could score more at the rim if he wanted to/had the offensive sense to realize he should.

http://stats.nba.com/tracking/#!/pla...sort=DPP&dir=1
                        Last edited by S.R.; Wed Jul 15, 2015, 03:04 PM.
                        "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
                          He was over 30% the season before last, and he lit it up from the left corner last season. I'd be pretty surprised if he didn't break through the 32% mark next season, given the amount of money virtually riding on it (not that he won't get paid hansomely regardless). Last offseason the primary focus was his ballhandling, smart money has it shifting to his 3-ball as we speak.
                          I'm down to bet that DeMar doesn't break 32% on his 3's.

Comment

• If DeMar had half a brain in his head, he would be well over 30% 3 point shooter. He is terrible above the break but takes about a third of his threes from there. He made 3 of his 29 attempts above the break.

Unfortunately, there is no sign that DeMar is capable of intelligent shot selection anywhere on the floor.
                            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                              If DeMar had half a brain in his head, he would be well over 30% 3 point shooter. He is terrible above the break but takes about a third of his threes from there. He made 3 of his 29 attempts above the break.

Unfortunately, there is no sign that DeMar is capable of intelligent shot selection anywhere on the floor.
                              I do think you have to factor in just how dependent this talent-starved team has been on him over these last years. Casey needed those Kobe-assists to wield any kind of offensive firepower, getting up shots with low-turnovers and high chance of drawing fouls, and it worked! DeMar was the main gunner on a good team.

Now we need him to be a little more of a system player on a great team. He's shown that he can do that, he just needs to come in with an improved 3-ball and a willingness to kick out passes to really make things click. It's not rocket-science and I'd wager he's up to the challenge.

Comment

I'm down to bet that DeMar doesn't break 32% on his 3's.
                                Make it 31% and you got yourself a sig-bet. I won one the year he broke 30 and I'd like to keep my streak alive.

Comment

Working...
                                X