Everything Derozan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Fox wrote: View Post
    Demar is just not that good. Seriously, if he doesn't "get it" by now, he never will.
    Can't even count how many times I heard that said about Bargnani...

I think people need to relax. He's 22 years old. 15 years ago, most guys didn't enter the league until they were 22.
    Give him a break for Christs sake.

The Fox wrote: View Post
    Just no point in giving us flashes and regressing again.
    Again, its called "consistency issues". And most young players will go through them when trying to effectively be the #1 Option, while being only 22 years of age.
    Last edited by Joey; Sat Feb 4, 2012, 02:31 PM.

Comment

• http://www.hoopsworld.com/demar-dero...e-the-pressure

Stephen Brotherston with a well-written piece on DeRozan. Unfortunately it offers no new insight.

Paraphrasing:

"Gotta keep shooting."

"Cut back on 3's."

"Get to the free throw line."

"Eventually they'll fall."

"We believe in DeMar."

"Tough schedule."

"No practice time."

"Andrea is out."

Comment

• "...Coaches know, however, that you don’t judge your highly-rated prospects over a 20-game stretch. Casey is going to keep running plays through DeRozan, and in all likelihood DeRozan hasn’t forgotten how to shoot the basketball or drive to the hoop. A lighter schedule in February that features a seven game home stand will give DeRozan a chance to get his game back on track. "

I think this sums up the Hoopsworld article nicely.

Comment

• Demar needs to start slashing and driving to the paint more. He got too comfortable with that outside shot... may work alone in the gym but is inconsistent in real games.

Overall I'm pleased with where Demar has come since his USC days. If our expectations weren't so high more of us would be satisfied with him.

Comment

• see i think being "depressed" and having or suffering from "depression" are two different things and, i meant the first one. I also think his struggling is due to as i said a lack of a locker room guy, who cracks jokes and speaks fluent english. you know you never see the guys laughing on the bench during losses, which is a good thing on ocassion.
            If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

• ^^ Relevant username.

Comment

• This piece appeared on Dave Berri's site on the 3rd:

DeMar DeRozan is killing the Raptors

Excerpt, about DeRozan:

...DeMar DeRozan — who undeservedly made the All-Star Sophomore team last year and is regarded as one of the team’s promising young players — has reached a new low in productivity. At this point in the season, DeRozan is playing much worse than he did last year; as a matter of fact, DeRozan’s productivity has declined during each of his three years in the league...
                Excerpt, about the team:

All told, excluding the injured (and so far improved!) Bargnani, that leaves the Raptors with eight unproductive players. And already these eight players have cost Toronto about two wins. This number grows to about 7.5 wins if we replaced them with average players. This is a shame, because Toronto actually has some good players on its roster. Well, at least three: Jose Calderon, Amir Johnson, and Ed Davis.

There are unfortunately two problems with Toronto’s “big three”. The first is that Calderon is very often underrated. Calderon’s lone below average season was his rookie year. Since then he has never failed to produce fewer than five wins in a season, and at his best he was a top five player in the league. That hasn’t stopped the Toronto front office from almost pulling the trigger on moving him or kept fans from considering him overpriced. As the only good player pulling significant minutes on the Raptors it is not a good place to be with him so close to the trading block.

The problem with Johnson and Davis is they play the same position. This puts the Raptors in a bind as when one of their top players in on the floor it pretty much comes with the expense of another being on the bench. With so many bad players guaranteed to be on the floor at once it hurts to have one of the few bright spots of the team seated.

The Raptors will not be a good team with so few good players and so many bad players. It’s also unlikely that things will turn around for the Raptors if they remain willing to shop their good players and insist on holding onto their bad players. In fact, the Raptors’ problems are so plentiful that blaming a single player or fixing the team is not a simple task. If we wanted to point at the biggest culprit though, as it currently stands DeRozan is killing the Raptors. And for that the front office seems ready to pay him even more money.

-Devin (with a little help from Dre)
                Colangelo has been, for years, stocking the team with sub-replacement level players -- below average offense and defense -- and even some of the relatively high picks, like DeRozan, are now revealing themselves as below-replacement level too. On top of which, many of these players are expensive. The front office should not offer DeRozan a post-rookie contract and let him leave for another team, or another league.

Comment

• Brandon wrote: View Post
                  This piece appeared on Dave Berri's site on the 3rd:

DeMar DeRozan is killing the Raptors

Excerpt, about DeRozan:

Excerpt, about the team:

Colangelo has been, for years, stocking the team with sub-replacement level players -- below average offense and defense -- and even some of the relatively high picks, like DeRozan, are now revealing themselves as below-replacement level too. On top of which, many of these players are expensive. The front office should not offer DeRozan a post-rookie contract and let him leave for another team, or another league.
                  Those winshares/-produced sites should be shutdown, those guys keep thinking that by making up a formula they somehow can pinpoint production in spite of some very laughable results through the years.

Comment

• Soft Euro wrote: View Post
                    Those winshares/-produced sites should be shutdown, those guys keep thinking that by making up a formula they somehow can pinpoint production in spite of some very laughable results through the years.
                    +1.

The article starts off talking about how Bargnani is still a below average player. Anyone who believes that has not watched the games the Raptors have played this year with him in and out of the lineup.

The author lost all credibility with me in the first paragraph and further lost it with a link to B/R in the last paragraph. This person, nor any of us, have any idea what is going on in the Raptors' front office. Colangelo has been on record a few times this year, including in the TV interview against Washington Friday night, that no one on the team is untouchable because the team is just not that good.

Comment

• I suppose it depends on your definition of "below-average". He is a below-average center, that is beyond dispute. If he was a few inches shorter and played SF, he might be average. But the WP48 stat says he has subtracted wins from the Raptors every year of his career except this one. That, I'd agree with.

Comment

I suppose it depends on your definition of "below-average". He is a below-average center, that is beyond dispute.
                        I guess I'm a dumbass if it's beyond dispute.

I don't think we need ignorant semi-mathguys to tell us what the problem is with DeRozan... WP48 and all that should be moved over to Bleacher.

Comment

• Soft Euro wrote: View Post
                          I guess I'm a dumbass if it's beyond dispute.
                          I started composing a long response to this. There's no point. You don't currently understand NBA basketball if you think centers can get away with what Bargnani does. The thread was about DeRozan, so the whole thread would probably be broken up against my will and moved so that I can't find it anymore.

And in a larger sense, this is like arguing over which part of a dead fish stinks the worst.

Comment

I started composing a long response to this. There's no point. You don't currently understand NBA basketball if you think centers can get away with what Bargnani does.
                            That's what they call an ad hominem, not really a very interesting way to debate.

And in a larger sense, this is like arguing over which part of a dead fish stinks the worst.
                            In this case sir, it's the way you make your points that stinks the most.

Comment

I suppose it depends on your definition of "below-average". He is a below-average center, that is beyond dispute. If he was a few inches shorter and played SF, he might be average. But the WP48 stat says he has subtracted wins from the Raptors every year of his career except this one. That, I'd agree with.
                              Luckily the past does not reflect future wins and losses.

Also, hasn't Bargnani been playing PF this year? lol

Comment

I started composing a long response to this. There's no point. You don't currently understand NBA basketball if you think centers can get away with what Bargnani does. The thread was about DeRozan, so the whole thread would probably be broken up against my will and moved so that I can't find it anymore.

Bargnani comments can easily be moved to Everything Bargnani.

Comment

Working...
                                X