Everything Derozan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hugmenot wrote: View Post
    Or Bayless could decide $4M is more than market value and sign the offer sheet before the ink dries.

The Raptors would have to honor that contract and they would be struck with an overpaid backup shooting/combo guard for one year or until they could trade him for another set of problems, whichever comes first.

If $4M is more than market value for Bayless, do you consider a 1-year contract at that price (before the free agent season is started) to be more of an asset or a liability?
    For one year, no I don't consider it a burden.

If the plan is to bring Barbosa back, then the offer is not even made.

Comment

• I would like to see Bayless walk. Yes he can score some nights, but in the process I don't think he is making the other players on the floor better. He is mostly looking for his own shot when he gets the ball.

Alas, this is a DeMar thread... I think he could play the SF position. This year we should try him at both positions. If we get the chance to draft Lamb, I think DeMar should focus on the SF position. If we draft Barnes, Miller or MKG then he stays at the 2. Either way he needs to improve the same skills and he could always hit the gym. I think we work with the pieces we have after the draft.

The Raps should make the playoffs next year with a healthy Bargs, and improvements in our young players games. Also, with the cap room we have we should be able to sign some more talent.

Comment

• saints91 wrote: View Post
        I would like to see Bayless walk. Yes he can score some nights, but in the process I don't think he is making the other players on the floor better. He is mostly looking for his own shot when he gets the ball.

Alas, this is a DeMar thread... I think he could play the SF position. This year we should try him at both positions. If we get the chance to draft Lamb, I think DeMar should focus on the SF position. If we draft Barnes, Miller or MKG then he stays at the 2. Either way he needs to improve the same skills and he could always hit the gym. I think we work with the pieces we have after the draft.

The Raps should make the playoffs next year with a healthy Bargs, and improvements in our young players games. Also, with the cap room we have we should be able to sign some more talent.

Thanks for the reminder.

Regarding drafting of 2's or 3's, BC has often talked about his desire for players who are versatile. He doesn't look at 5 positions, or so he has said in the past, he looks at guards, wings, and bigs. I think any combination of DD, Miller, MKG, or Lamb could play together with guys like Kleiza and JJ in reserve roles behind them.

*EDIT* planetmars has a video of BC with Bob McGowan in the Draft thread. Talks about wings available. He also makes reference to the debate of DeMar at SG or SF.
        Last edited by mcHAPPY; Fri Feb 10, 2012, 11:49 PM.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
          For one year, no I don't consider it a burden.

If the plan is to bring Barbosa back, then the offer is not even made.
          You're forgetting something Matt. Colangelo will be on a contract year. He's not going to be taking gambles with cap space on guys like Bayless when the market is going to be saturated with talent this summer. He needs to align the stars to get the fat extension he wants and so he's going to be looking for a four run shot to right field. Grand slam. I think the goal next season is to get back to the playoffs led by a strong young core, much bigger than anything we've seen in Raptors history, and complemented with the right veterans coming off the bench...And probably leading at the point. That's my prediction. I expect two big FA additions: One vet glue guy and one a core piece, which will probably also be a vet, a young vet, hopefully Batum or someone of that level who has yet to shine in a prominent role.

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
            You're forgetting something Matt. Colangelo will be on a contract year. He's not going to be taking gambles with cap space on guys like Bayless when the market is going to be saturated with talent this summer. He needs to align the stars to get the fat extension he wants and so he's going to be looking for a four run shot to right field. Grand slam. I think the goal next season is to get back to the playoffs led by a strong young core, much bigger than anything we've seen in Raptors history, and complemented with the right veterans coming off the bench...And probably leading at the point. That's my prediction. I expect two big FA additions: One vet glue guy and one a core piece, which will probably also be a vet, a young vet, hopefully Batum or someone of that level who has yet to shine in a prominent role.
            I think this is bang on. Colangelo wants to be able to have some tangible results going into next offseason and playoffs are what he needs. I think we will see him jettison all of our stop gap guys from this summer: Carter, Butler, Fobes, and Magloire will all be gone (maybe Gray instead of Magloire). I doubt Barbosa is back and I hope Bayless is done.Then BC will make one or two big signings, hopefully with a guy like Batum being the main guy.

Nocioni is a guy who could fill the vet role, he is barely playing in Philly and I doubt they pick up his option. He has the Olympic credentials and experience to be a leader. He also fits the physical play style that Casey preaches.

The thing I'd add is that I see a big trade happening too. I think we will see a package including Davis, Amir Calderon, and/or Derozen sent out somewhere for another big addition. I could see a guy like Ariza, who is rotting on a terrible New Orleans team, being added.
            "Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival."

-Churchill

Comment

• Matt, I'm still not on the bandwagon....

Another frustrating performance last night from Derozan. I guess what's killing me about Derozan is that there really isn't any excuse right now for him not picking up his play and positively impacting the game. Without Bargnani, Derozan has had a huge opportunity to step up and has failed. His usage rate is through the roof despite his spotty (at best) production. He's playing major minutes. They've tried mulitple ways to get his game off. I'm not sure there's much more the coaching staff can do here.

You only get so many chances. Demar better start taking advantage of his or they're going to give them to someone else. Lottery pick or not.

Comment

• I think the chances will be there for the remainder of the season. Colangelo doesn't give up on his drafted guys easily.

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post
                  Matt, I'm still not on the bandwagon....

Another frustrating performance last night from Derozan. I guess what's killing me about Derozan is that there really isn't any excuse right now for him not picking up his play and positively impacting the game. Without Bargnani, Derozan has had a huge opportunity to step up and has failed. His usage rate is through the roof despite his spotty (at best) production. He's playing major minutes. They've tried mulitple ways to get his game off. I'm not sure there's much more the coaching staff can do here.

You only get so many chances. Demar better start taking advantage of his or they're going to give them to someone else. Lottery pick or not.

Sadly, I know. I said 12 or 13 days ago it wasn't looking good and he didn't turn it around. He showed flashes but, overall, nothing.

I am in 100% agreement with the last paragraph.

Comment

• I agree with Apollo. The excuses for Demar's poor (or should we say average) play still outweighs his poor showing. There's just way too many factors that should be considered before washing him out. And if BC stuck with Bargnani for 5 years, i dont see why he wouldnt do that same thing with Demar. Demar is oozing with potential, it just needs to be squeezed out of him.

I really think its still confidence. He doesnt seem too confident with his dribble and shot. He still seems to have that good guy mentality where he doesnt want to push people to get to the spots he needs to be. If Casey brought out the best in Bargnani, i have no doubt he can do the same with Demar.

Comment

I think the chances will be there for the remainder of the season. Colangelo doesn't give up on his drafted guys easily.
                      Don't forget this season is only another 10 weeks.

Comment

• Yeah, and I think he'll slience the critics next season. He put a lot of hard work in last season, now he needs to build on that this summer with the proper guidance he may have lacked last off-season. A full camp will help tremendously as well.

You know it's funny. Last season he closed it out with fireworks and everyone was so proud that they had such a hard working wing who loved the city and loved being a Raptor. He was all Raptors and Toronto everytime he spoke even in the off-season, especially in the off-season. He was in full support of his surroundings despite the adversity of playing on a struggling team. Now, a year later when it's he who is struggling how do the fans respond? Well not all, but there is a large group who have tossed him under the bus... Most of that group at the first signs of turbulence. Actually that's not funny, that's sad.

Comment

Yeah, and I think he'll slience the critics next season. He put a lot of hard work in last season, now he needs to build on that this summer with the proper guidance he may have lacked last off-season. A full camp will help tremendously as well.

You know it's funny. Last season he closed it out with fireworks and everyone was so proud that they had such a hard working wing who loved the city and loved being a Raptor. He was all Raptors and Toronto everytime he spoke even in the off-season, especially in the off-season. He was in full support of his surroundings despite the adversity of playing on a struggling team. Now, a year later when it's he who is struggling how do the fans respond? Well not all, but there is a large group who have tossed him under the bus... Most at the first signs of turbulence. Actually that's not funny, that's sad.
                          I'm not sure how I feel about these level-headed, well thought, non-emotional, and rational posts, Apollo.

I want pitchforks and torches dammit!

(jk)

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
                            I'm not sure how I feel about these level-headed, well thought, non-emotional, and rational posts, Apollo.

I want pitchforks and torches dammit!

(jk)
                            Haha yeah, we're too emotional sometimes around these parts, that's for sure. Maybe it's due to a lack of sunlight, I don't know... People don't forget to supplement with vitamin D or with fish oil caps in the winter!

Comment

• Is DeMar getting it together?

Is DeMar starting to finally come around this season? Yes he does have the off game here and there lately but his stats over the last five and 10 games have been on the upward swing. He's finally playing to his skill set.

GP GS MIN FG% 3PG% FT% OFF DEF RPG APG SPG BPG PPG

Last 5 Games 5 5 38.2 0.468 0.455 0.952 0.8 1.8 2.6 3.2 1.0 0.2 19.4
                              Last 10 Games 10 10 36.0 0.426 0.357 0.815 0.7 2.4 3.1 2.5 0.8 0.3 16.5

*Sorry the stat lines look like mush

Hopefully he starts to become a little more consistent. It really hard to judge how he would be doing if the season wasn't as condensed. Now that the hardest stretch is over, we should be seeing some improvement.

Comment

• Great stats gathering saints91, keep up the good work!

The stats you've put together really does illustrate that he is coming around. The only thing I see missing from this that would help is his FT attempts per game. As your stats clearly show, his shooting efficiency has gone up. I know its because he's moved his game in closer just like I'd been hoping he would do.

Comment

Working...
                                X