Everything Derozan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
    DeRozan at best can be a solid 1st option, but no where near the 1st option likes of Joe Johnson, Kobe, and Dwayne Wade.
    DeMar DeRozan has too much difficulty creating his own shot to be considered a viable first option in my opinion.

Comment

• Hugmenot wrote: View Post
      DeMar DeRozan has too much difficulty creating his own shot to be considered a viable first option in my opinion.
      That's why I said at best, no where near in the likes of Johnson, Bryant, and Wade. He has a solid post-game, good pull up jumper, and works well within' the open floor. He's going to continue to improve, but if this is him now and ever, he would be a solid one. Not such an impact player like the three I had mentioned.
      Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

That's why I said at best, no where near in the likes of Johnson, Bryant, and Wade. He has a solid post-game, good pull up jumper, and works well within' the open floor. He's going to continue to improve, but if this is him now and ever, he would be a solid one. Not such an impact player like the three I had mentioned.
        Joe Johnson shouldn't even be mentioned with d wade and kobe. JJ isn't that good and IMO DeMar might end up being better later on in his career.

Comment

• Chisolm preaches patience

For now, let's wait and see how DeRozan finishes off the season. Let's see how he blends with Andrea Bargnani back on the court. Let's see what kind of players the Raptors surround him with this summer. His comfort level on the court of late has been a world apart from where it was back in January and he and Casey look to have found a methodology to maximize DeRozan's effectiveness when he's playing. That's a major turnaround from earlier in the season. It's still impossible to gauge exactly what Toronto has in DeRozan but suffice it to say that whatever they do have looks a lot better today than it did only a few weeks ago.
          http://www.tsn.ca/blogs/tim_chisholm/?id=389875

Comment

• +1 That's what I've been trying to say all this time.

Comment

• Was watching the Jonas Valanciunas Story, and Dwane Casey mentioned Demar, Andrea, and Jonas being the important guys when Jonas arrives.

Comment

Was watching the Jonas Valanciunas Story, and Dwane Casey mentioned Demar, Andrea, and Jonas being the important guys when Jonas arrives.
                That is true, those 3 and our draft pick this year is our core we build around.

Comment

• NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
                  That is true, those 3 and our draft pick this year is our core we build around.
                  No mention of Jose huh?
                  TORONTOOOOOO RAPTORSSSSSS

Comment

• theycallmeZZ wrote: View Post
                    No mention of Jose huh?
                    Jose is not part of the future and its obvious. We need a PG that can penetrate and put pressure on the defense, jose is a great pg but he is not aggressive enough and he can't defend the better PG's in the league.

Comment

• NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
                      Jose is not part of the future and its obvious. We need a PG that can penetrate and put pressure on the defense, jose is a great pg but he is not aggressive enough and he can't defend the better PG's in the league.
                      I think he will stay for another year or two, but I don't see him down the road.

Comment

• theycallmeZZ wrote: View Post
                        No mention of Jose huh?
                        Jose is too old to be part of the long term plans unless he wants to hold a clipboard.

Comment

• Raptors not about to give up on 3rd year guard DD

More than anything else, third-year guard DeMar DeRozan's season has been stunningly unoriginal.

Last year, the Toronto Raptors shooting guard started off slowly, making you wonder if he had any future with the team. He turned his season around with a post-all-star break push, hoping that his third season in the NBA would be the one in which he blossomed.

This year, the same has happened - except replace the word "third" with "fourth." Before Tuesday night's 92-87 win over the league-worst Charlotte Bobcats, DeRozan had significantly inflated his scoring average and free-throw rate (the two are related) in the second half. He finished the game with 20 points, doing little else, a too-common occurrence with DeRozan. He did assist on a late-game basket from Andrea Bargnani, who had a team-high 30 points. Bargnani scored the Raptors' final three baskets.

For DeRozan, a disappointing start has given way to more hope that the athletic swingman can eventually become a key player for a good team in Toronto.

You have to wonder, though: Is he a better player now than he was at this time last year?

"Last year, he was doing a lot of things, but he was giving a lot of it back on the defensive end," Raptors coach Dwane Casey said, supporting his player. "I think he's giving us a lot more on the defensive end than he did last year, which in turn took him a while to get used to doing both."

The numbers back that up. Opposing shooting guards and small forwards are producing at a below-average pace when he covers them, based on player efficiency rating. A big, old mitigating factor: DeRozan is producing at a lower rate than the people he covers. His Player Efficiency Rating this season is lower (slightly so, but still) than it was in his rookie season.

And yet, the Raptors maintain hope. A lot of that has to do with his age, 22. Some of that is based on his output - DeRozan has averaged 6.2 free-throw attempts per game in the second half of the season, an asset the team is devoid of elsewhere. But part of it is just pure, unsubstantiated hope.

"He has to get stronger, bigger because every night he's giving up 10 or 15 pounds, sometimes 20 pounds to the guy that's guarding him," Casey said. "Once he does that, his game will elevate to the next level."

You can see how that might affect him on the glass. He is too slender to battle in the paint for a loose ball. He averages just 3.5 rebounds per game, and his rebounding rate is 46th in the league among shooting guards. That should not be, given his athletic acumen.

Beyond that it is difficult to see where DeRozan has made a leap, and how added bulk will help.

His weaknesses heading into the season - creating offence for teammates, ball handling and long-range shooting - remain his weaknesses at the end of the season. Casey said added physical strength might help the latter point, but the others relate almost exclusively to skill and quickness.

To that end, he will have some guidance from the coaching staff this summer, something that surely hurt him over the course of the lockout.

Casey still thinks DeRozan can be one of the team's dynamic crunch-time scorers in years to come: "That's who we want it to be. That's who we want to be that guy."

And for DeRozan's part, he wants to be in Toronto.

"Things will definitely be fun because it's a chance to give the city something that they want and something that I want - that's making the playoffs," DeRozan said when asked about the possibility of being part of an exciting, young team. "We're definitely going to make a run next year."

Despite the possible presence of two intriguing young shooting guards in the draft - Florida's Brad Beal and Connecticut's Jeremy Lamb - DeRozan figures to be a part of that team, one that tries to turn promise into substance.

But usually by your third or fourth year, you are who you are as an NBA player. The Raptors will have to hope that DeRozan's spurt indicates an incline this time around, instead of a plateau.

http://www.canada.com/sports/Raptors...494/story.html
                          I think the jury is still out on DeMar but I think the verdict is near - but still unknown.

I disagree wtih the last comment about by your 3rd or 4th year. That old adage might be true for a junior or senior coming out of college and turning 24 or 25 but I disagree when the discussion is a guy who came in to the league as a project at 19 years of age.

Bottom line: no one is good enough to label a keeper on the Raptors - including DD.

Comment

• Not sure if we can make much of Casey's words. We know he's never going to rip a guy, or talk much about one's struggles. It's very admirable as a coach, but doesn't give us fans much to work with.

Also, he once said he'd expect 2 rebounds per quarter from Bargnani. There hasn't been any mention of that since training camp.

Then there was the idea of "nothing happening" at the trade deadline, only to see Barbosa shipped.

All I'm saying is that this article doesn't give me much assurance that DeRozan is a long-term piece of the puzzle.

Comment

• Casey said they wouldn't be trading anyone either
                              @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
                                I think the jury is still out on DeMar but I think the verdict is near - but still unknown.

I disagree wtih the last comment about by your 3rd or 4th year. That old adage might be true for a junior or senior coming out of college and turning 24 or 25 but I disagree when the discussion is a guy who came in to the league as a project at 19 years of age.

Bottom line: no one is good enough to label a keeper on the Raptors - including DD.
                                For them to trade him this early flies contrary to Colangelo's past treatment of most picks. Considering DeRozan is a hard worker and a good teammate this should guarantee he's here next season.

Comment

Working...
                                X