Lowry/Joseph/Wright
        Martin/Ross/Powell
        Carroll/JJ/Bruno
        Cousins/Scola
        Whiteside/Biyombo/Bebe
        Let's not do that and say we did, yeah?

Comment

• 2KJ wrote: View Post
          I smell Demar getting traded - hopefully to the Lakers for their lottery pick (win-win situation imo - Demar can be the successor to Kobe, he's from Compton after all). And if they get Luke Walton as coach next year, they can be deadly. What scares me is if Demar will be among the ex-Raptors who will torment us in the future.

Demar's value is really high atm - arguably the best sg in the east. But despite that, he's no max player. He's a star, but not a superstar like a Curry, Lebron, Harden, etc.
          The market is compressed at the top end (by with the salary-cap/-floor); you don't have to be one of a handful of superstars to get a "max-deal". (People seem to want to blame DeMar for that, but it's not his fault, obviously).

Those teams not lucky enough to get a "superstar/generational player" still have to compete in the market for the next-best guys. Or tank. Or look to "beat the market", through truly superior talent-evaluation/luck, or loyalty (aka "strong-franchise") deals.

The latter is what many of us are hoping (even expecting, if you're me) Masai will negotiate with DeMar. What a value-deal would amount to is a matter of intense debate, of course. Two camps seem to have gathered around two salary ranges: $15-17M and $20-22M.

The former range resides purely in fantasy-land, though, in my view.
          Last edited by Wild-ling#1; Wed Dec 16, 2015, 03:11 PM.

Comment

• JWash wrote: View Post
            Let's not do that and say we did, yeah?
            it was a sort of joke.....but just for giggles...

Please explain how trading Demar, JV, Patterson and a few picks

for

Cousins, whiteside and Martin could possibly be a bad thing.

Cousins top 2 pf/c combo in the league now with three point range
            Whiteside the top defensive center in the league
            And martin a vet who is a very capable at spreading the floor.

Lowry
            Martin
            Carroll
            Cousins
            Whiteside.

how would teams even score on that.

Comment

• Miekenstien wrote: View Post
              if demar goes to l.a. they have a better shot at losing the pick
              that depends on what is coming back.

Comment

• Snooch wrote: View Post
                it was a sort of joke.....but just for giggles...

Please explain how trading Demar, JV, Patterson and a few picks

for

Cousins, whiteside and Martin could possibly be a bad thing.

Cousins top 2 pf/c combo in the league now with three point range
                Whiteside the top defensive center in the league
                And martin a vet who is a very capable at spreading the floor.

Lowry
                Martin
                Carroll
                Cousins
                Whiteside.

how would teams even score on that.
                Because DeMarcus Cousins being coached by Dwane Casey is not something anyone should ever be subjected to.
                twitter.com/anthonysmdoyle

Comment

• Wild-ling#1 wrote: View Post
                  What a value-deal would amount to is a matter of intense debate, of course. Two camps seem to have gathered around two salary ranges: $15-17M and $20-22M.

The former range resides purely in fantasy-land, though, in my view.
                  The latter is almost pretty damn close to max. Not much of a negotiated "discount".
                  Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• Barolt wrote: View Post
                    Because DeMarcus Cousins being coached by Dwane Casey is not something anyone should ever be subjected to.
                    lol.

Boogie would bodyslam Casey

Comment

• Axel wrote: View Post
                      The latter is almost pretty damn close to max. Not much of a negotiated "discount".
                      I think it NOT being the max is supposed to be the discount (if I'm interpreting it correctly). I really hope I'm not though because that's just funny.
                      "My biggest concern as a coach is to not confuse winning with progress." - Steve Kerr
                      "If it's unacceptable in defeat, it's unacceptable in victory." - Jeff Van Gundy

Comment

• Snooch wrote: View Post
                        lol.

Boogie would bodyslam Casey
                        You don't know it but you JUST sold me on keeping Casey. That would be such an entertaining disaster.
                        "My biggest concern as a coach is to not confuse winning with progress." - Steve Kerr
                        "If it's unacceptable in defeat, it's unacceptable in victory." - Jeff Van Gundy

Comment

• Just Is wrote: View Post
                          I think it NOT being the max is supposed to be the discount (if I'm interpreting it correctly). I really hope I'm not though because that's just funny.
                          It's $3-5M dollars ... times four or five years. How can you suggest that that is some sort of mere symbolic or trivial amount to leave on the table?

(But I think the symbolism is great, too ... but the 12 to 20 million extra dollars, in Masai's pocket, are ... well, what they are.)

Comment

• Wild-ling#1 wrote: View Post
                            It's $3-5M dollars ... times four or five years. How can you suggest that that is some sort of mere symbolic or trivial amount to leave on the table?

(But I think the symbolism is great, too ... but the 12 to 20 million extra dollars, in Masai's pocket, are ... well, what they are.)
                            Pretty sure DDs max starts around $23M. So $1M-$3M in savings which allows us to sign a min contract player.
                            Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• Axel wrote: View Post
                              Pretty sure DDs max starts around $23M. So $1M-$3M in savings which allows us to sign a min contract player.
                              Well, if we agree that JV also gave us a discount, and we've got Lowry on a bargain contract, too, then I think the full picture appears of a franchises' roster players personally contributing millions to the GM's maximizing asset value (and cap flexibility).

(Does DD's max contract average $25M? ... with a contract starting at $20M averaging $22M? ... for a $3M discount? I think it's a minimum $3M per year saving if he starts at 20 ... I stand to be corrected - likely by you-know-who )

Anyway, a milion(s) dollar discount is a million(s) dollar discount. It's a good thing. If not a very good thing.
                              Last edited by Wild-ling#1; Wed Dec 16, 2015, 04:19 PM.

Comment

• Once again, to reiterate some contract possibilities for clarity of discussion.

DeRozan's max if he signs in Toronto: 25.1M, 27.0M, 28.9M, 30.8M, 32.7M -> 144.6M over 5 years, 28.9M per year.
                                DeRozan's max if he signs elsewhere: 25.1M, 26.3M, 27.4M, 28.5M -> 107.4M over 4 years, 26.8M per year.
                                DeRozan signing a 4 year deal starting at 20M: 20.0M, 20.9M, 21.8M, 22.7M -> 85.4M over 4 years, 21.4M per year.
                                DeRozan signing a 4 year deal starting at 15M: 15.0M, 15.7M, 16.4M, 17.0M -> 64.1M over 4 years, 16.0M per year.

So note that the max is nearly twice annually what I and others have proposed, and about 25-35% more than the ~20M suggestion offered by many.
                                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Working...
                                X