View Poll Results: Grade Derozan's Season.

Voters
67. You may not vote on this poll
  • A

1 1.49%
  • B

18 26.87%
  • C

40 59.70%
  • D

8 11.94%
  • F

0 0%
Page 74 of 248 FirstFirst ... 24 64 72 73 74 75 76 84 124 174 ... LastLast
Results 1,461 to 1,480 of 4952

Thread: Everything Demar Derozan

Raptors Republic Starter RapthoseLeafs's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote LBF wrote: View Post
    Does Demar really deserve his own thread?
    No .... But I guess for some, it's a break from the Bargnani "to infinity ... and beyond" thread.

Post Thanks / Like

I guess so.

But, I think it actually might be worse.

Raptors Republic Rookie Demar_8756's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    The optimism bias (also known as unrealistic or comparative optimism) is a self-serving bias that causes a person to believe that they are less at risk of experiencing a negative event compared to others. There are four factors that cause a person to be optimistically biased: their desired end state, their cognitive mechanisms, the information they have about themselves versus others, and overall mood. The optimistic bias is seen in a number of situations, including people believing that they are less at risk of being a crime victim, smokers believing that they are less likely to contract lung cancer or disease than other smokers, and first-time bungee jumpers believing that they are less at risk of an injury than other jumpers....[or in this case, believing your favourite team/player is in better shape than other teams/players]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optimism_bias
    What in the HELL!??!?!?! LOL

Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    Welcome to the board Demar_8756. Your glass is half full, no doubt!
    Thank you kind sir, I finally found some friends to talk about how the Raptors are the best team and how DeMar is the best player in the leauge. LOL thank you thank you hahahaha everytime I talk about the NBA to my friends they get annoyed.
    Last edited by Demar_8756; Wed May 23rd, 2012 at 02:31 PM.

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Demar_8756 wrote: View Post
    What in the HELL!??!?!?! LOL
    In short, people have a tendency to over-value potential positive outcomes, while under-valuing potential negative outcomes. This phenomenon is known as the "optimism bias".

It seems to explain why you think DeRozan is destined for greatness, despite the lack of on-court, or statistical evidence suggesting so.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Post Thanks / Like

In short, people have a tendency to over-value potential positive outcomes, while under-valuing potential negative outcomes. This phenomenon is known as the "optimism bias".

It seems to explain why you think DeRozan is destined for greatness, despite the lack of on-court, or statistical evidence suggesting so.
    OOOOhhh ok I think I get it now. I guess what you are saying is right doctor... Although I really do believe he could be the franchise type player, I love his offensive game and his passion to always get better. If this team builds right and keeps the coaching staff , I see this team becoming a really good one. What you think?

Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

you sound like my friend who thinks anyone that has a couple of decent games is a superstar. I used to be like that, but as you watch the nba more and more you start to face reality. There are some cases where it leads to negativity(Many people on here) and some where you just give up on the team and stop watching games(see LBF). I luckily still have some of that optimism that you posses, i guess its cause I'm not as old as most of the dudes here who have seen this team fail many times.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Demar_8756 wrote: View Post
    OOOOhhh ok I think I get it now. I guess what you are saying is right doctor... Although I really do believe he could be the franchise type player, I love his offensive game and his passion to always get better. If this team builds right and keeps the coaching staff , I see this team becoming a really good one. What you think?
    For the sake of the Raptors, I hope you're right
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Post Thanks / Like

Quote NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
    you sound like my friend who thinks anyone that has a couple of decent games is a superstar. I used to be like that, but as you watch the nba more and more you start to face reality. There are some cases where it leads to negativity(Many people on here) and some where you just give up on the team and stop watching games(see LBF). I luckily still have some of that optimism that you posses, i guess its cause I'm not as old as most of the dudes here who have seen this team fail many times.
    You make a good point about age and a correlation with pessimism. Maybe someone can create a poll that captures both age, and level of optimism/pessimism surrounding the Raptors. It would be an interesting social experiment (assuming everyone answers honestly).

As for myself, I'm 32 years old, and have been a fan of the Raptors since before the team name was even decided. I've seen far more ugliness than greatness in these parts, but I believe Colangelo has the tools to turn this team around in the next 2 years. However, I'm not necessarily sold on Bargnani and/or DeRozan being integral parts. For me, the jury is still out on these guys.

Post Thanks / Like

now i see why your soo negative all the time.

Post Thanks / Like

now i see why your soo negative all the time.
    At the end of the day, the only stat that matters is Wins. And there hasn't been many over the past 4 years. Based on that, it's hard to get excited.

Just like that old saying goes, "fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me". The Raptors have fooled me far too many times before...that by now, it must be my fault, lol.
    Last edited by Nilanka; Wed May 23rd, 2012 at 04:12 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Thats why you aim low and avoid disappointment. My most realistic expectation is us making it as the 7th or 8th seed in the playoffs, winning 1 or maybe 2 games before being eliminated.

Post Thanks / Like

Thats why you aim low and avoid disappointment. My most realistic expectation is us making it as the 7th or 8th seed in the playoffs, winning 1 or maybe 2 games before being eliminated.
    That seems to be a somewhat realistic goal for next season, and I'll be excited if it plays out that way, as long as it's accomplished by a group of players who show growth (compared to last year), and the potential to get better and compete for home court advantage for many years to come (unlike the team Colangelo put together in 2006-07, which had a very short shelf-life).

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Source

DeMar getting his daily intake of iron.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm pretty sure I could find the exact post where I said "aim low and avoid dissapointment." if i wasn't mobile.

I appreciate the shout out, as well.

Although, I think making the playoffs is a bit high. Setting yourself up for possible dissapointment. In contention for the playoffs, sure. But, don't make it a sure thing. It's not unreasonable, though.

Post Thanks / Like

its not a sure thing but its highly likely. Not much competition for the 8th spot

Raptors Republic Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

You make a good point about age and a correlation with pessimism. Maybe someone can create a poll that captures both age, and level of optimism/pessimism surrounding the Raptors. It would be an interesting social experiment (assuming everyone answers honestly).
    "pessimism" or realism? That would be an interesting experiment.

ps...rose coloured glasses have dimmed somewhat for myself and the eyebrows tend to arch more often.

Post Thanks / Like

This guy has heart so much love for basketball, he'll play all day all night even if there was no NBA. This is why DeRozan is the best.

Post Thanks / Like

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Why so much Demar hate recently? He's a solid player. Is he a solid bench player or a starter? Who knows. He wasn't what ailed the Raps. Statistically, the player who had the most negative impact on our team who actually played a decent number of minutes was Ed Davis. By a landslide. Demar does his job (scoring points, drawing fouls, blocking a few shots). Just because it doesn't look like he's going to be a star doesn't mean we are better off if we trade him. It's almost like everyone who doubted Bargs moved from hating him to hating Demar when his game improved.

Raptors Republic Starter torch19's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote blackjitsu wrote: View Post
    Why so much Demar hate recently? He's a solid player. Is he a solid bench player or a starter? Who knows. He wasn't what ailed the Raps. Statistically, the player who had the most negative impact on our team who actually played a decent number of minutes was Ed Davis. By a landslide. Demar does his job (scoring points, drawing fouls, blocking a few shots). Just because it doesn't look like he's going to be a star doesn't mean we are better off if we trade him. It's almost like everyone who doubted Bargs moved from hating him to hating Demar when his game improved.
    No he's not. I can guarantee you that.

If you are talking pure statistics, the Raptors would be better off without DeMar. That said, I wouldn't want DeMar to be traded at this point unless we are getting back proven talent. I see DeMar as a solid piece moving forward, perhaps a good third option at best. If he had the same role Paul George has in Indy, then he wouldn't be as scrutinized.
    “I don’t create controversies. They’re there long before I open my mouth. I just bring them to your attention.”

-- Charles Barkley

Page 74 of 248 FirstFirst ... 24 64 72 73 74 75 76 84 124 174 ... LastLast

Thread Information