View Poll Results: Grade Derozan's Season.

Voters
67. You may not vote on this poll
  • A

1 1.49%
  • B

18 26.87%
  • C

40 59.70%
  • D

8 11.94%
  • F

0 0%
Page 110 of 254 FirstFirst ... 10 60 100 108 109 110 111 112 120 160 210 ... LastLast
Results 2,181 to 2,200 of 5068

Thread: Everything Demar Derozan

Raptors Republic Superstar Chr1s1anL's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Scouting report
    + Combo guard with strong outside jumper. Excels coming off pin-downs and curls.
    + Good handle but lacks jets to get in paint consistently. Can play point in a pinch.
    + Struggles on defense: Short for a 2, slow for a 1. Effective guarding big PGs.

Analysis It's been four years, and Mayo has hardly improved since his first day in Memphis -- in particular, the outside shooting stroke that seemed so promising his rookie year has failed to progress. Mayo's 3-point and free throw marks have been on a steady southward trajectory since his rookie season, which is troubling because his best hope of becoming a star was as a Reggie Miller-type shooter.

That's not happening -- he's at 37.5 percent on his career for 3s and doesn't shoot any better on long 2s -- so what we're left with is a decent enough scoring guard but one that isn't necessarily a starter. Mayo scores at a decent clip because he has a good handle and feel for getting to the basket, but he's not a great athlete and doesn't have an explosive first step.

Additionally, efforts to play him at the point haven't borne much fruit. While he can handle the ball, he lacks a distributor's instincts and really struggles to maneuver when quick guards pressure his dribble. According to 82games.com, his turnover ratio nearly doubled when he played the point; the main benefit was a huge uptick in free throws because he could bully smaller guards. The only way he could play point regularly would be in a system that lets other players do much of the ballhandling and mainly required him to spot up -- the Lakers in the Triangle years, for example.

Mayo isn't wowing anybody with his defense either, although there is one niche where he has proved effective: He does solid work against bigger 1s like Russell Westbrook and Derrick Rose, and often took that assignment to spare the smaller Mike Conley a beating. Mayo also had strong rates of blocks and steals and a solid rebound rate, so at least he's active. But he struggles in size matchups at the 2 and picks up fouls easily, and his effort level still isn't as consistent as it could be.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    http://www.hoopsworld.com/ranking-th...ooting-guards/

No love for DD in top SGs in the league:

Kobe
    Harden
    Wade
    Manu
    OJ
    AI
    Probably because all those players are way better than him, even Mayo

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
    His undersized so his midrange is useless. Doesn't get to the line. His also a bad defender.
    Bad defender? Wasn't he the guy guarding Chris Paul in the playoffs? Even when you had Tony Allen on your team?

I also fail to see how being undersized makes your mid-ranged game useless. How often do you see a jumpshot get blocked?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Sig wrote: View Post
    Bad defender? Wasn't he the guy guarding Chris Paul in the playoffs? Even when you had Tony Allen on your team?

I also fail to see how being undersized makes your mid-ranged game useless. How often do you see a jumpshot get blocked?
    He can't guard his position. Which is the 2. Read the scouting report.

Raptors Republic All-Star Soft Euro's Avatar
    Utrecht, The Netherlands (Yes, that's Europe!)
    Post Thanks / Like

Scouting report
    + Combo guard with strong outside jumper. Excels coming off pin-downs and curls.
    + Good handle but lacks jets to get in paint consistently. Can play point in a pinch.
    + Struggles on defense: Short for a 2, slow for a 1. Effective guarding big PGs.

Analysis It's been four years, and Mayo has hardly improved since his first day in Memphis -- in particular, the outside shooting stroke that seemed so promising his rookie year has failed to progress. Mayo's 3-point and free throw marks have been on a steady southward trajectory since his rookie season, which is troubling because his best hope of becoming a star was as a Reggie Miller-type shooter.

That's not happening -- he's at 37.5 percent on his career for 3s and doesn't shoot any better on long 2s -- so what we're left with is a decent enough scoring guard but one that isn't necessarily a starter. Mayo scores at a decent clip because he has a good handle and feel for getting to the basket, but he's not a great athlete and doesn't have an explosive first step.

Additionally, efforts to play him at the point haven't borne much fruit. While he can handle the ball, he lacks a distributor's instincts and really struggles to maneuver when quick guards pressure his dribble. According to 82games.com, his turnover ratio nearly doubled when he played the point; the main benefit was a huge uptick in free throws because he could bully smaller guards. The only way he could play point regularly would be in a system that lets other players do much of the ballhandling and mainly required him to spot up -- the Lakers in the Triangle years, for example.

Mayo isn't wowing anybody with his defense either, although there is one niche where he has proved effective: He does solid work against bigger 1s like Russell Westbrook and Derrick Rose, and often took that assignment to spare the smaller Mike Conley a beating. Mayo also had strong rates of blocks and steals and a solid rebound rate, so at least he's active. But he struggles in size matchups at the 2 and picks up fouls easily, and his effort level still isn't as consistent as it could be.
    This definitely is from before this year.

6. Like Nilanka liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Soft Euro wrote: View Post
    I don't think his strengths and weaknesses have changed, just that he's playing better on a team that's been relying on him because of Dirk injury, etc.

8. Like white men can't jump liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Soft Euro wrote: View Post
    His still the same player.

Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
    I don't think his strengths and weaknesses have changed, just that he's playing better on a team that's been relying on him because of Dirk injury, etc.
    I saw him play against san antonio and was not impressed. They went to old man carter for the game winner over him, that right there says that the team doesn't have much confidence in him.
    "You never heard of DeMar just google him, the defense don't know what to do wit him"

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

vince has been given the shot for the past 3-4 games over and over again. out of the 2 games that hes had the ball at the last minute, he's missed. same old vince.

12. Like ReubenJRD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think it's safe to say Derozan will be on the trade market this off-season, with the way Ross has been playing in consistent minutes, Derozan is going to become a trade asset in helping get that big this off-season. I'm against trading him, because of his improvement and great character, not to mention I think he's a big part of this team in general, but Fields/Ross is/will/might make him expendable.

Especially because his contract is the reason why this team is so hampered down the road financially, not Rudy, because Rudy is a much better player than Derozan, and Bargnani is Bargnani.

Post Thanks / Like

I think it's safe to say Derozan will be on the trade market this off-season, with the way Ross has been playing in consistent minutes, Derozan is going to become a trade asset in helping get that big this off-season. I'm against trading him, because of his improvement and great character, not to mention I think he's a big part of this team in general, but Fields/Ross is/will/might make him expendable.

Especially because his contract is the reason why this team is so hampered down the road financially, not Rudy, because Rudy is a much better player than Derozan, and Bargnani is Bargnani.
    It will take more that 3 games to make BC consider trading DD. he just gave him a extension and his having a good year. BC love the DD/RG wing duo. AA is gone and than Ross and Fields will be back ups.

Raptors Republic Superstar TRex's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

That's not going to happen. He's not going anywhere. You know how big of a DeRozan fan i am I mean, the guy just signed a 4 year extension last november. I also think Colangelo is a big believer of DeRozan and YES i think Colangelo will be back next year. But if there's a new GM next year then i guess it's possible the DD gets moved for a big but i'd really be shock if that happens.

I also remember Casey saying a couple of weeks ago that they're going to build this team around Gay and DeRozan.

Not sure how they're going to integrate Ross in the lineup next year. I believe Ross has a higher upside than DeRozan and will be a better player if he continues to improve his game. Maybe we'll see them play small ball next year?

Valanciunas/Amir
    Gay
    DeRozan
    Ross
    Lowry
    Last edited by TRex; Sat Mar 16th, 2013 at 01:32 PM.
    Follow me on Twitter - @11_RRyan

Raptors Republic All-Star wallz's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

BC wouldn't be doing his job if he doesn't at least entertain offers for Demar. If someone wants him bad enough, ya never know what they'll give up

17. Like ReubenJRD liked this post
    Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think BC will initiate talks, but I think he will listen to guys when they call about Demar, and possibly Ross as well. We have gotten to watch Demar a lot and dissect his flaws, but he's still a pretty high quality offensive weapon. I don't know what kind of deal BC would consider for Demar. My gut instincts tell me he is not traded this summer. This team will hopefully just trade Bargs and plug whatever holes around the team after that, then go into the season and evaluate before subtracting from such a young core...and the core is finally pretty young, when you consider the oldest guys are Lowry, Gay and Amir. Unless a home-run trade (legit all-star) is offered this summer, go into the season and evaluate. This team has 2 seasons to figure out what works and who to keep before Gay expires and JV starts to really hit his stride....sidenote: I really hope BC is no moron and at least waits until next summer to think about extending Gay.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote TRex wrote: View Post
    That's not going to happen. He's not going anywhere. You know how big of a DeRozan fan i am I mean, the guy just signed a 4 year extension last november. I also think Colangelo is a big believer of DeRozan and YES i think Colangelo will be back next year. But if there's a new GM next year then i guess it's possible the DD gets moved for a big but i'd really be shock if that happens.

I also remember Casey saying a couple of weeks ago that they're going to build this team around Gay and DeRozan.

Not sure how they're going to integrate Ross in the lineup next year. I believe Ross has a higher upside than DeRozan and will be a better player if he continues to improve his game. Maybe we'll see them play small ball next year?

Valanciunas/Amir
    Gay
    DeRozan
    Ross
    Lowry
    I agree that it's strongly unlikely Derozan goes, but I'm somewhat skeptical about Derozan "not going anywhere." Now, to be honest, I don't want to him to go, and I feel he's going to be a big part of this team, but it would be foolish for BC, NOT to entertain any calls, deals on the table for him, especially if it nets back any players that address an issue, or significant talent.

A two guard that improves every season, scorer, athletic player, and a player that seems to be favoured fairly well around the league. $10 million is overpaying him a million or two, but he's going to be a guy that if BC puts on the table, he will get calls, and that might be his best bet to get rid of Bargnani to get that big name player that they want.

Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

It's to early to give up on demar and go with ross. We should wait a year or two then see where they are at
    "You never heard of DeMar just google him, the defense don't know what to do wit him"

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

IMO derozan isn't as tradeable as you think. You would be paying him for his potential production, not what he is capable of right now. How many GM's would be willing to take a risk like that and send a game changing power forward our way in return?

That being said, I would love to dump derozan on the atlanta hawks in a sign and trade for josh smith. Doesn't mean it will happen.

Raptors Republic All-Star Soft Euro's Avatar
    Utrecht, The Netherlands (Yes, that's Europe!)
    Post Thanks / Like

His still the same player.
    When 2 out of 4 paragraphs are about his shooting (which has been considerably better this year) then no, he isn't the same player.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
    It's to early to give up on demar and go with ross. We should wait a year or two then see where they are at
    That's the problem, the consistency of being able to SEE where Ross is especially will be hard, because next year the team will clearly be fighting for a playoff spot, and depending on the wings returning/joining next season, it'll be hard for him to get his minutes between Gay/Derozan/Fields.

Quite frankly, as much as I've been a big supporter of Demar's game, improvement, and character, Ross is miles ahead as a rookie than Demar was as a rookie.

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Following a 28 point outburst vs. the Lakers, it's now been 4 straight poor games for DeMar.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Page 110 of 254 FirstFirst ... 10 60 100 108 109 110 111 112 120 160 210 ... LastLast

Thread Information