View Poll Results: Grade Derozan's Season.

Voters
67. You may not vote on this poll
  • A

1 1.49%
  • B

18 26.87%
  • C

40 59.70%
  • D

8 11.94%
  • F

0 0%
Page 69 of 267 FirstFirst ... 19 59 67 68 69 70 71 79 119 169 ... LastLast
Results 1,361 to 1,380 of 5333

Thread: Everything Demar Derozan

Post Thanks / Like

Quote theycallmeZZ wrote: View Post
    No mention of Jose huh?
    Jose is too old to be part of the long term plans unless he wants to hold a clipboard.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Raptors not about to give up on 3rd year guard DD

More than anything else, third-year guard DeMar DeRozan's season has been stunningly unoriginal.

Last year, the Toronto Raptors shooting guard started off slowly, making you wonder if he had any future with the team. He turned his season around with a post-all-star break push, hoping that his third season in the NBA would be the one in which he blossomed.

This year, the same has happened - except replace the word "third" with "fourth." Before Tuesday night's 92-87 win over the league-worst Charlotte Bobcats, DeRozan had significantly inflated his scoring average and free-throw rate (the two are related) in the second half. He finished the game with 20 points, doing little else, a too-common occurrence with DeRozan. He did assist on a late-game basket from Andrea Bargnani, who had a team-high 30 points. Bargnani scored the Raptors' final three baskets.

For DeRozan, a disappointing start has given way to more hope that the athletic swingman can eventually become a key player for a good team in Toronto.

You have to wonder, though: Is he a better player now than he was at this time last year?

"Last year, he was doing a lot of things, but he was giving a lot of it back on the defensive end," Raptors coach Dwane Casey said, supporting his player. "I think he's giving us a lot more on the defensive end than he did last year, which in turn took him a while to get used to doing both."

The numbers back that up. Opposing shooting guards and small forwards are producing at a below-average pace when he covers them, based on player efficiency rating. A big, old mitigating factor: DeRozan is producing at a lower rate than the people he covers. His Player Efficiency Rating this season is lower (slightly so, but still) than it was in his rookie season.

And yet, the Raptors maintain hope. A lot of that has to do with his age, 22. Some of that is based on his output - DeRozan has averaged 6.2 free-throw attempts per game in the second half of the season, an asset the team is devoid of elsewhere. But part of it is just pure, unsubstantiated hope.

"He has to get stronger, bigger because every night he's giving up 10 or 15 pounds, sometimes 20 pounds to the guy that's guarding him," Casey said. "Once he does that, his game will elevate to the next level."

You can see how that might affect him on the glass. He is too slender to battle in the paint for a loose ball. He averages just 3.5 rebounds per game, and his rebounding rate is 46th in the league among shooting guards. That should not be, given his athletic acumen.

Beyond that it is difficult to see where DeRozan has made a leap, and how added bulk will help.

His weaknesses heading into the season - creating offence for teammates, ball handling and long-range shooting - remain his weaknesses at the end of the season. Casey said added physical strength might help the latter point, but the others relate almost exclusively to skill and quickness.

To that end, he will have some guidance from the coaching staff this summer, something that surely hurt him over the course of the lockout.

Casey still thinks DeRozan can be one of the team's dynamic crunch-time scorers in years to come: "That's who we want it to be. That's who we want to be that guy."

And for DeRozan's part, he wants to be in Toronto.

"Things will definitely be fun because it's a chance to give the city something that they want and something that I want - that's making the playoffs," DeRozan said when asked about the possibility of being part of an exciting, young team. "We're definitely going to make a run next year."

Despite the possible presence of two intriguing young shooting guards in the draft - Florida's Brad Beal and Connecticut's Jeremy Lamb - DeRozan figures to be a part of that team, one that tries to turn promise into substance.

But usually by your third or fourth year, you are who you are as an NBA player. The Raptors will have to hope that DeRozan's spurt indicates an incline this time around, instead of a plateau.

http://www.canada.com/sports/Raptors...494/story.html
    I think the jury is still out on DeMar but I think the verdict is near - but still unknown.

I disagree wtih the last comment about by your 3rd or 4th year. That old adage might be true for a junior or senior coming out of college and turning 24 or 25 but I disagree when the discussion is a guy who came in to the league as a project at 19 years of age.

Bottom line: no one is good enough to label a keeper on the Raptors - including DD.

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Not sure if we can make much of Casey's words. We know he's never going to rip a guy, or talk much about one's struggles. It's very admirable as a coach, but doesn't give us fans much to work with.

Also, he once said he'd expect 2 rebounds per quarter from Bargnani. There hasn't been any mention of that since training camp.

Then there was the idea of "nothing happening" at the trade deadline, only to see Barbosa shipped.

All I'm saying is that this article doesn't give me much assurance that DeRozan is a long-term piece of the puzzle.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Post Thanks / Like

Casey said they wouldn't be trading anyone either

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    I think the jury is still out on DeMar but I think the verdict is near - but still unknown.

I disagree wtih the last comment about by your 3rd or 4th year. That old adage might be true for a junior or senior coming out of college and turning 24 or 25 but I disagree when the discussion is a guy who came in to the league as a project at 19 years of age.

Bottom line: no one is good enough to label a keeper on the Raptors - including DD.
    For them to trade him this early flies contrary to Colangelo's past treatment of most picks. Considering DeRozan is a hard worker and a good teammate this should guarantee he's here next season.

Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

have faith

Raptors Republic Superstar ReubenJRD's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    For them to trade him this early flies contrary to Colangelo's past treatment of most picks. Considering DeRozan is a hard worker and a good teammate this should guarantee he's here next season.
    +1

Post Thanks / Like

Quote RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
    +1
    +2

Post Thanks / Like

lol Demar's proven his ability this season to be a crunch time player. Consistency at the end of the day will be his biggest trial in terms of being the player he wants to be. If he can average 25 points against a wing duo of Lebron and Dwayne Wade than you better believe potential is present. Remember he came in as a project, and was the most raw of rookies in the draft, if not THE most raw.

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

lol Demar's proven his ability this season to be a crunch time player.
    He has?
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

"He has to get stronger, bigger because every night he's giving up 10 or 15 pounds, sometimes 20 pounds to the guy that's guarding him," Casey said. "Once he does that, his game will elevate to the next level."

This is the part that I found interesting. Dont most SG's weigh less than DD?
    He is 216 according to nba.com, and most other SG's are actually less than that.
    Any chance that this could be hinting at him being a 3?
    Im just speculating, but this comment seems out of place to me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Hello wrote: View Post

He is 216 according to nba.com, and most other SG's are actually less than that.
    he might mean the guys that are his height like Joe Johnson and andre iguodala. Both are pretty big and strong guys

Raptors Republic Rookie Demar_8756's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Demar all the way never giving up, this guy is the real deal ppl you just got to wait

Raptors Republic Superstar Puffer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Hello wrote: View Post

Demar isn't failing to score against other shooting guards. He is failing to make shots after contact on the way to the rim, frequently against PF's and C's. He has to become strong enough to handle the contact going up and still have composure enough to get the ball off with a reasonable chance of it going in.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    He has?
    Beginning of the season. He shown potential in the area to score in the fourth quarter and impact the game..

Matt Devlin: "Mr. Fourth Quarter."

Post Thanks / Like

Default Shut up and play.

Probably going to be added to the DeChosen Thread*

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/story/1...oronto_Raptors

Well. That's something that could hurt Demar.

Post Thanks / Like

ahh well this is something we already know. He's starting to stop doing it

Post Thanks / Like

Quote NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
    ahh well this is something we already know. He's starting to stop doing it
    He did it against Philly though. He showed MUCH frustration...

Raptors Republic Rookie Absinthe's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

[JK]Or take a drama class.[/JK]

Post Thanks / Like

He did it against Philly though. He showed MUCH frustration...
    i didn't notice. I was it a lot in the bobcats game

Page 69 of 267 FirstFirst ... 19 59 67 68 69 70 71 79 119 169 ... LastLast

Thread Information