View Poll Results: Grade Derozan's Season.

Voters
67. You may not vote on this poll
  • A

1 1.49%
  • B

18 26.87%
  • C

40 59.70%
  • D

8 11.94%
  • F

0 0%
Page 8 of 248 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 58 108 ... LastLast

Thread: Everything Demar Derozan

Raptors Republic All-Star Balls of Steel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

The kid needs to work on his handles. His jumpshot is also suspect (prone to mechanical flaws). The best shooters in this league can release quickly and is very compact (see Curry's shots last night). He is not deft enough to make his way to the basket. Prior to leaving last night's game for example, Monta was all over him (picking his pocket at will, three times actually). He's young, but there's mechanical flaws in his dribble, jumpshot, and his free throws could be better. He has enough athleticism to get to the basket but, he knows that he's a turnover waiting to happen if he continues to attack the rim at his current skill level.
    “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Yes, I see improvement but I'm not sure if that is because he has moved up the list of options and getting more opportunities. I look at guys last year who were rookies and they were able to contribute right away and actually look like they belong. I'm not getting that from DeRozan. Again I'm not knocking the guy I just am not sure he'll ever live up to the billing as a future starting 2 guard in the league. I really hope I'm wrong in these thoughts.
    You know when people were drooling all over Steph Curry, Brandon Jennings and Ty Evans last season? Did you know all 3 dudes were the focal point of their respective teams? All 3 took the most shots on their respective teams. That's how you get better - you get more oppourtunities, are allowed to play through the mistakes and hopefully you learn from it to become a stronger and better player. Last year, DeRozan was probably the last option on offense and played roughly 20 minutes. He didn't really have any responsibilities. This year, he's getting more oppourtunties and he's performing better. Just give it time.

Raptors Republic Superstar Superjudge's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

curry tooled toronto last night with ease, lets not compare the progeny of Raptors greatness to derozan Mango.... it ain't fair.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Craig wrote: View Post
    curry tooled toronto last night with ease, lets not compare the progeny of Raptors greatness to derozan Mango.... it ain't fair.

We didn't have a chance to select Curry - but to be fair, Curry did play 3 years of college before coming out. DeRozan played 1 year of college before coming out. Let's give the guy some time and oppourtunity to develop into the player we think he'll be.

But Stephen is cooooooollld blooded! kid can flat out shoot. he's an assassin.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Anyone else worried about DeRozan for the future?

I'm not seeing a lot of growth or development nor are his stats very good for a starting 2 guard. I know he is 21 but........

2010-11 Statistics FG 3PT FT Rebounds Misc
    Season 7 29.9 33-78 .423 1-6 .167 21-27 .778 1.1 2.1 3.3 .57 .43 1.57 3.00 1.1 12.6
    If he can't shoot consistent jumpshots by the 4th year, his time in the league is limited.

Raptors Republic Veteran Buddahfan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

DeRozan's game on offense has been hurt by having to play four on five.

As far as his defense goes. He still has a long way to go.
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Raptors Republic All-Star hateslosing's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Derozen was drafted as a project and a project he is. He's getting better and will continue to do so as he gets his jumper going but don't expect him to carry this team on his back, he won;t be ready for that for a couple years, if he ever is.
    "When Life gives you lemons, you clone those Lemons to make super lemons!"
    -Scudworth

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

He should be coming off the bench. He is a poor man's Sonny Weems right now.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Multipaul wrote: View Post
    He should be coming off the bench. He is a poor man's Sonny Weems right now.
    How can he be a poor man's Sonny Weems when he makes three times what Sonny does?

Who goofed? I got to know.
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Buddahfan wrote: View Post
    How can he be a poor man's Sonny Weems when he makes three times what Sonny does?

Who goofed? I got to know.
    Talking in terms of skills based currency dawg, expand your linguistic horizons and you will encounter such wonderful concepts such as metaphors, allegories, simlies, and everyones favorite, soliloquies (not 100% on the spelling on that one lol)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Multipaul wrote: View Post
    Talking in terms of skills based currency dawg, expand your linguistic horizons and you will encounter such wonderful concepts such as metaphors, allegories, simlies, and everyones favorite, soliloquies (not 100% on the spelling on that one lol)
    In my opinion you misused the term entirely.

I don't want to expand my mind into incorrect usage of terms.

As far as expanding ones mind. Lets just say, G-d bless my first wife

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote MangoKid wrote: View Post
    You know when people were drooling all over Steph Curry, Brandon Jennings and Ty Evans last season? Did you know all 3 dudes were the focal point of their respective teams? All 3 took the most shots on their respective teams. That's how you get better - you get more oppourtunities, are allowed to play through the mistakes and hopefully you learn from it to become a stronger and better player. Last year, DeRozan was probably the last option on offense and played roughly 20 minutes. He didn't really have any responsibilities. This year, he's getting more oppourtunties and he's performing better. Just give it time.
    Jennings had a 55 point game in November.

Tyreke averaged 20/5/5 from the beginning of the season pretty much on.

DD is getting his opportunity this year AFTER a year in the league. I'm not seeing it. When he does get to the rim - usually off the spin he frequently does - he can't finish. He hangs, waits, throws it off the rim.

I know it is 7 games in but I'm not liking what I'm seeing. Really good players make it look easy. DD looks like he is working his ass off for everything with little to show for it.
    Last edited by mcHAPPY; Tue Nov 9th, 2010 at 01:53 PM.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Buddahfan wrote: View Post
    In my opinion you misused the term entirely.

As far as expanding ones mind. Lets just say, G-d bless my first wife
    Hahahh, that was awesome man

Raptors Republic Superstar
    Post Thanks / Like

Jennings had a 55 point game in November.

Tyreke averaged 20/5/5 from the beginning of the season pretty much on.

DD is getting his opportunity this year AFTER a year in the league. I'm not seeing it. When he does get to the rim - usually off the spin he frequently does - he can't finish. He hangs, waits, throws it off the rim.

I know it is 7 games in but I'm not liking what I'm seeing. Really good players make it look easy. DD looks like he is working his ass off for everything with little to show for it.
    No one said that DeRozan would make an immediate impact. Some players take longer to develop than others. It bothers me when some people say that the Raptors should have taken Jennings because he had a better rookie season. Really, who cares? ROn Mercer had a MUCH better rookie season than Tracy McGrady did, but I'm pretty sure McGrady had the better career.

DeRozan is a project who has struggled at times, but shown improvement in many areas. Enough to be encouraged about. The guy is 21 years old and going into his second year in the league. I'm willing to be a little patient as long as I see progress, and I do.
    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
    Follow me on Twitter.

Raptors Republic Starter minks77's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

DD looked very good in Sac and vs LAL but left his game at his parents place. He hasn't been aggressive since. But what he showed in those 2 games gave me some serious hope for this cat.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

relax he's just 21, there's much u haven't seen yet

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

As long as he won't be the next Bargnani- we wait, and wait....and wait some more, growing increasingly frustrated year after year as he makes the smallest of improvements but still not nearly enough.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Anyone else worried about DeRozan for the future?
    Demar for future?? In what Caliber ? As a starter, no, not really!! He is on par to be a decent starter in this league.

But if someone thought that Demar is the future star of Raptors then they show be worried about their own mental health and not Demar.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

I guess I am being overly critical. My fear is the team is building around a guy who could be a Ronnie Brewer.
    Ronnie Brewer is a defensive genius. DeRozan doesn't do anything well. Even as a complementary scorer he is below average because he cannot shoot and cannot handle it well enough to score in traffic.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't base his future on his stats so far this season. Two games ago he was averaging almost 16 ppg on 50% FG. Stats don't mean anything (at least for DeMar) at this point in the season. Bring up stats when the all-star break is around the corner.

Page 8 of 248 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 58 108 ... LastLast

Thread Information