Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alex English

What do you guys think of Alex English?

more people seem to be calling for triano or colangelo or both's head respectively.

But, I mean if you disclude Triano as an assistant coach, English has been here the longest and we haven't had much success with him as the head asst. coach.

It might be a case of the Gretzky's; great player, opposite as a coach.

JMO,though. Curios to read what everyone else thinks.
    If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

LBF wrote: View Post

more people seem to be calling for triano or colangelo or both's head respectively.

But, I mean if you disclude Triano as an assistant coach, English has been here the longest and we haven't had much success with him as the head asst. coach.

Alex doesnt design the X's and O's, he focuses mainly on skills development. His veteran, legendary presence is one of the only lucky things this club has going for it. Not sure if everyone know about Alex, but dude was a giant in his time. I think his "aura" alone should be worth alot to this team, although it hasn't directly lead to any wins yet.

On another note, WTF does Scott Roth do??? Trade hair tips with Vinny Del Negro?

Comment

LBF wrote: View Post

Alex English is a legend. A hall-of-famer. The mere fact that he's made it through multiple regime changes should be a big endorsement to his credibility. More often than not when GMs switch and head coaches switch the guys underneath go as well. By my count he's on his second GM and second head coach in Toronto. I don't think it's fare to gauge his effectiveness based on the wins and losses. When was the last time an assistant coach won coach of the year?

I think you need to gauge his performance by gauging the growth of players he's worked with. Jose Calderon for example has grown a great deal under English. So too has DeRozan. I think this is the fair way to grade him. I know somebody is going to storm in here and drop Bargnani's name in a very negative fashion but before you do you should first find out if Bargnani has been a project of Alex's or if somebody else has been tutoring the guy.

Comment

I don't know how I could even gauge his performance as an assistant coach. So I have no idea if he should stay or go.
        "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

English's work with Amir J itself is reason enough about his value. I believe he has been passed over a number of times for the HC job so this might say something. He just comes across as a passive guy which might be a bad rap...but being here so long I dont think its a good idea for him to get the top job here...players tend to have pigeon holed a coach in a certain way.

Re Scott Roth, here is a good piece in RR when he was first hired...

http://raptorsrepublic.com/2010/08/0...stephen-curry/

Comment

Bendit wrote: View Post
            English's work with Amir J itself is reason enough about his value. I believe he has been passed over a number of times for the HC job so this might say something. He just comes across as a passive guy which might be a bad rap...but being here so long I dont think its a good idea for him to get the top job here...players tend to have pigeon holed a coach in a certain way.

+1 on finding that old post, that was interesting

Comment

So can we say Sam Mitchell was successful in his last two years because of JT?

Comment

I wonder if Alex is applying for any head coaching positions. He has proven himself as an assistant but I've never heard if he has other aspirations. I wouldn't let his soft spoken demeanor stand in the way of giving him a shot if it's something he wants.

Comment

AJM wrote: View Post
                  So can we say Sam Mitchell was successful in his last two years because of JT?
                  Not sure how. Sam had them playing .500 ball in December. Colangelo axes him and then the team has been wreck ever since.

j bean wrote: View Post
                  I wonder if Alex is applying for any head coaching positions. He has proven himself as an assistant but I've never heard if he has other aspirations. I wouldn't let his soft spoken demeanor stand in the way of giving him a shot if it's something he wants.
                  Colangelo has a history of promoting from within. There are exceptions of course but his next head coach is probably working for the Raptors right now. That makes Alex and PJ prime candidates.

Please see the thread "Alex English: The Next Toronto Raptors Head Coach?"

Comment

Alex is a tremendous coach and a hall of famer. He works best with players on an individual basis. He does have that "Lenny Wilkens" feel to him that makes me nervous about him becoming a head coach (especially for this young team). I'd prefer a Rick Carlisle / Nate McMillan type where they can get on players and hold them accountable. He's a tad too quiet and the complete opposite of Carlesimo. Apollo, you're very much right, canning Mitchell when they were 7-9 was the worst move for BC. Mitchell busted everyone's balls and they played hard under him. It is no shock that Avery Johnson would pick Smitch as his first assistant. No shock to me at all.
                    “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

Passive coachesmcan get result too. Lenny Wilkens was extremely passive. I'm not sire if Alex would be that passive as the bench boss. We may get to find out someday soon...

Comment

I like Alex English as an assistant coach, and we should just keep him that way. What we need is a DEFENSIVE MINDED HEAD COACH.

Comment

Bendit wrote: View Post

devlin always says it's eric hughes working with dd and aj.

btw, triano was the assitant coach when we were in the glory years with wilkens and vc.
                          If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

Nothing against Hughes and I hesitate to listen to smoke-blower Devlin generally. There is a direct quote in the foll. by AJ. I also understand that JJ is AE's new project..

http://www.torontosun.com/sports/bas.../16250616.html

re: Triano, CB gave him a lot of credit for his own development which is why JT takes some of CB's statements personally

Comment

Working...
                            X