No announcement yet.

Who deserves the ball more on offense?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who deserves the ball more on offense?

This is another post fueled by the disappointing loss on Wednesday night.

I felt as if the ball wasn't reaching the hot hand down the stretch of the game. It seemed as if jay was only calling plays for Bargs which meant a shot or a turnover... Jose would bring the ball up and with 15-20 seconds left on the shot clock he would pass the ball to barny, and then stare down his defender for 10 seconds and put up a bad shot. In my opinion I believe that the ball should be in Derozan's, Jose's or Barbosa's hand almost every situation (James Johnson too if he is playing well).

They can all dribble, pass and play off of the pick and roll allowing better opportunities for themselves and their bigs.

Also down the stretch of last nights game, derozan was playing terrible d but inspired O. he shot 8-11 from the field. How come DD didn't get the ball more, for almost 10 possessions in the third Derozan didn't receive the ball.

Bargs shot 8-20 and only scored 20 points
    Barbosa shot 7-16 and scored 18 points

The ball should've been given to DD to get higher percentage shots for himself and his teammates. No one should ever shoot the ball 20 times for 20 points, thats ridiculous. This season is all but done for the raptors and it's about time that we start putting the ball in the hands of our young core to let them develop instead of giving the ball to bargnani to see how many shots he can take in a losing effort. If we don't start, then we've completely ruined this season.

(Demar is my favorite player and i am only 15 so easy with the comments)
    Last edited by RaptorsFTW12; Thu Mar 17, 2011, 07:07 PM.

Money Weems. The dood has been shooting high % but ever since JJ got here he never gets any shots.

Comment

RaptorsFan4Life wrote: View Post
      Money Weems. The dood has been shooting high % but ever since JJ got here he never gets any shots.
      Weems is an inconsistent fool and so is RaptorsFan4Life.
      Last edited by e2thed; Thu Mar 17, 2011, 08:33 PM.
      NBADoppelgangers.tumblr.com

Comment

alright boys lets calm down, Sonny is a decent player, but he's an energy player, he'll may evolve into something greater but for now i believe that his greatest asset to this team is his ability to score.

Comment

e2thed wrote: View Post
          Weems is an inconsistent fool and so its RaptorsFan4Life.
          I agree with both your statements

Comment

I assume we're talking about at the end of the play. Because Jose is (and should be) the guy with the ball in his hands the most.

Barbosa and Derozan can create shots, but mainly just for themselves. Which is fine, but you don't want either of them monopolizing the ball to that degree. Derozan has come a long way this year in terms of his all-around game, but he's still got a lot of work to do. So you don't want to lay the entire offense at his feet yet. That's how bad habits develop in young guys.

I definitely agree that an offense designed around Bargnani is just inefficient and not nearly aggressive enough. Hoping he'll be traded but he probably won't be.
            You can find me on Twitter.

Comment

Yeah, last nights game was hard on the eyes. I'd like to answer the original poster and say "anyone who is at least trying to play D." The meaning being that no effort defensively should not be supported by giving the ball offensively. But that is not the way on this Raptors team. Take that as you will.

As a team we do not offer Team defense. We specialize in the Ole Defense and the 3 Guys Who Watch Someone Blow By Defense. (a variation on the first Defense) On Offense we feed Barny mostly. I'd like to answer your question, but I cannot tell you who should get the ball. I'd like Jose and Bayless make the decisions that PG's are supposed to. And a large part of the job is making sure you keep all the players in the game. Moving the ball around.
              “I have no idea who Chukwudiebere Maduabum is, but on his Draft Express profile, he’s listed as Chu Chu. I think he’s worthy of picking just for that. He immediately is in the running for best All-Time NBA name.” -Tim W.

Comment

it's kinda sad, because last year when watching the games, i truly believed that sonny and demar were good or even decent defenders. What happened to that? Is it because of the burden of offense for DD and sonny?

Comment

RaptorsFTW12 wrote: View Post
                  it's kinda sad, because last year when watching the games, i truly believed that sonny and demar were good or even decent defenders. What happened to that? Is it because of the burden of offense for DD and sonny?
                  DeRozan wasn't great and yeah Sonny was known as a defender. I don't know what happened.

Comment

http://www.nba.com/video/channels/nb...t_derozan.nba/

nice video spotlighting DeMar on NBA.com
                    NBADoppelgangers.tumblr.com

Comment

great vid

Comment

albertan_10 wrote: View Post
                        DeRozan wasn't great and yeah Sonny was known as a defender. I don't know what happened.
                        You can imagine how difficult it is to take game after game when you are constantly putting out on defense, chasing your man and running thru and around screens, switching and then with 2-3 secs left on the 24sec clock there is no help defense in the paint and there is a layin or dunk? I would pretty much guarantee a seachange in team defense if there was a presence like a Chandler or even a Dalembert who came to play. We'd actually score more points than we already do while lessening the opposition's.

Wont mention any names

Comment

Honestly, the one thing our team does least is feed the hot hand....So maybe the person who is hot in the moment should be given the ball, right?

Comment

Bendit wrote: View Post
                            You can imagine how difficult it is to take game after game when you are constantly putting out on defense, chasing your man and running thru and around screens, switching and then with 2-3 secs left on the 24sec clock there is no help defense in the paint and there is a layin or dunk? I would pretty much guarantee a seachange in team defense if there was a presence like a Chandler or even a Dalembert who came to play. We'd actually score more points than we already do while lessening the opposition's.

Wont mention any names
                            I agree with this a lot. Bad examples lead to bad play. Which we are Allstars @.
                            “I have no idea who Chukwudiebere Maduabum is, but on his Draft Express profile, he’s listed as Chu Chu. I think he’s worthy of picking just for that. He immediately is in the running for best All-Time NBA name.” -Tim W.

Comment

Bendit wrote: View Post
                              You can imagine how difficult it is to take game after game when you are constantly putting out on defense, chasing your man and running thru and around screens, switching

Wont mention any names
                              HEY! Thats a great strategy, maybe we should try that instead of taking J's all game, how come every game the "Coaches Keys" or w/e are "make (said SG/SF) work both ends of the floor" and yet all of our sets have very little to no movement and the worst screens in the history of basketball....#RANT END

Comment

Working...
                              X