Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How about Rick Adelman?

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default How about Rick Adelman?

Opinion piece in the Houston Cronicle today stating Rick Adelman's tenure has run its course in Houston. Click here for article.

Personally, I think he has always got the most out of his teams - and in the face of great adversity, especially in Houston.

The opinion that his time has run its course is very similar to my thoughts on Triano in Toronto.

I'm not sure if Adelman would be up for taking over a rebuild - probably not. But like the draft, trades, and free agents it is nice to dream

Raptors Republic Superstar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Opinion piece in the Houston Cronicle today stating Rick Adelman's tenure has run its course in Houston. Click here for article.

Personally, I think he has always got the most out of his teams - and in the face of great adversity, especially in Houston.

The opinion that his time has run its course is very similar to my thoughts on Triano in Toronto.

I'm not sure if Adelman would be up for taking over a rebuild - probably not. But like the draft, trades, and free agents it is nice to dream
    Good for me. Like you wrote he does get teams to play cohesively on both sides of the ball and had coached a fairly "international" team in Sacramento in good runs. The young personnel on the Raps might be a negative unless BC does a selling job mapping out say a 2-3 yr plan. I have always liked his demeanor and control over his players. Wonder what the real problem is in Houston...maybe a falling out with Morey on player movement.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Bendit wrote: View Post
    Good for me. Like you wrote he does get teams to play cohesively on both sides of the ball and had coached a fairly "international" team in Sacramento in good runs. The young personnel on the Raps might be a negative unless BC does a selling job mapping out say a 2-3 yr plan. I have always liked his demeanor and control over his players. Wonder what the real problem is in Houston...maybe a falling out with Morey on player movement.
    Drafting a highly touted player might help the cause but I think the key will be the number in front of the six 0's - 4 or 5?.

Raptors Republic Starter albertan_10's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I was seriously just going to start a thread exactly like this one. It must be a sign!

Raptors Republic Starter jeff_hostetler's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

A non rookie, defensive coach? Hired by the Raptors? HAHAHAhahaha! That's a good one.

Raptors Republic Starter jeff_hostetler's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Seriously, though. Where do I sign?

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

I would do that if he wants out of Houston. Triano just isn't good enough.

Raptors Republic Rookie webcrawler89's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't know if he'd want out of Houston though....

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote jeff_hostetler wrote: View Post
    A non rookie, defensive coach? Hired by the Raptors? HAHAHAhahaha! That's a good one.
    When fans don't even think the Raptors are interested in a veteran head coach, you clearly know the organization is a joke *** .

Raptors Republic All-Star ezz_bee's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote smushmush wrote: View Post
    When fans don't even think the Raptors are interested in a veteran head coach, you clearly know the organization is a joke *** .
    Lenny Wilkens?
    "We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

I think the big question with Rick Adelman is not whether he wants out of Houston but if he wants to coach at all. Houston seems done with him, but if hes done with basketball, we aren't getting him out of Portland to coach a young team and essentially start from scratch AGAIN with a shifty GM situation when any number of championship teams could be a fit with Phil Jackson on his way out, possibly Doc Rivers or SVG for not progressing in the playoffs. If ORL drops SVG though, Id pick him up too.

Post Thanks / Like

I could really get behind Adelman. Great coach.

Post Thanks / Like

Unless MLSE is gonna shell out major dollars, Adelman won't come here.

Post Thanks / Like

Even for big money, I don't see a guy like Adelman taking this job. The only reason he took the Houston job was cause he thought he had McGrady and Yao and could get more out of them. The Raps don't have one player that even comes close to either of those guys.

Plus, BC will not hire a veteran head coach. That isn't his history and he's been a GM over a decade.

Post Thanks / Like

One step closer Matt. One step closer.

AP source: Rockets won't renew Adelman's contract

HOUSTON (AP) -- A person familiar with the decision says Rick Adelman is out as coach of the Houston Rockets.

The team will not renew Adelman's contract for next season says the person, who spoke to The Associated Press on the condition of anonymity Monday because the team has not made an official announcement.

KRIV-TV and the Houston Chronicle first reported the decision.

The 64-year-old Adelman went 193-135 in four seasons with the Rockets and led them to their only playoff series victory since 1997. His career record is 945-616 and ranks eighth in career victories.
    Source
    In Masai we Trust.

Raptors Republic Starter WhatWhat's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Quote joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
    One step closer Matt. One step closer.

Source
    lol - I wish.

Personally I think there are two options in Adelman's future:

1) coach a contender, or
    2) retirement

He is 64. The only way he returns to coach a rebuilding team such as Toronto is: if he REALLY, REALLY loves coaching and challenges, ii) believes the team can be very good sooner rather than later, and iii) is offered $4-5M or more per season.

Just my opinions but, again, I would love to have him here.

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    lol - I wish.

Personally I think there are two options in Adelman's future:

1) coach a contender, or
    2) retirement

He is 64. The only way he returns to coach a rebuilding team such as Toronto is: if he REALLY, REALLY loves coaching and challenges, ii) believes the team can be very good sooner rather than later, and iii) is offered $4-5M or more per season.

Just my opinions but, again, I would love to have him here.
    I would be happy with Adelman, although I wonder if he will get some burn from the Lakers with PJackson going. He would be open to that before coming here since he went to Houston thinking he had McGrady and Yao.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Can we Pounce on Adelman?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=6384752

Is it realistic that we can sign him? I would throw all kinds of money his way if I were BC.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Maleko wrote: View Post
    I would be happy with Adelman, although I wonder if he will get some burn from the Lakers with PJackson going. He would be open to that before coming here since he went to Houston thinking he had McGrady and Yao.
    I would be estatic with Adelman.

However, not only do I think he would he be more open to coaching the Lakers before coming here, he would probably be more open to many other teams as well.

Thread Information