Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22

Thread: 5 Offseason Pitfalls BC Must avoid

  1. #1
    Raptors Republic Starter charlz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    The Lido Deck
    Posts
    640
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default 5 Offseason Pitfalls BC Must avoid

    1. wasting Draft pick on tweener Jared Sullinger (see Sean May / Ike Diogu)

    2. Not Dealing Bargs in the off season would be a huge mistake (Greg Munro is already a better fit on a winning team)

    3. Over paying Weems/Reggie to return (should try to keep both)

    4. Not Dealing Kleiza would be a mistake - When you look at how JJ defends the perimeter and compare it to Kleiza.... nuff said

    5. wasting 9mil Cap Exemp - package some of the non-core players and get some new blood in from a winning program with an emphasis on Defense if possible.
    "I may be wrong ... but I doubt it"

  2. #2
    Administrator Apollo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    12,131
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    4. What would you give the Raptors for a guy who won't be able to play until the spring of 2012 at the earliest?

    I would answer the question with either, "nothing" or "a long, bloated contract that no one wants to take".

  3. #3
    Raptors Republic Rookie goldenboy78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    28
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    4. What would you give the Raptors for a guy who won't be able to play until the spring of 2012 at the earliest?

    I would answer the question with either, "nothing" or "a long, bloated contract that no one wants to take".
    I do agree, thank-you once again for reminding eveyone that Kleiza will be gone for 12 months. also

    3. We should never even think about signing Weems to a contract , I'm very dissapointed in his play this year. Reggie would be great on this team if we were competitve, I don't think he will want to resign in Toronto, any competitive team would love to have Reggie on it.

  4. #4
    Raptors Republic All-Star RaptorsFan4Life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,753
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Weems is the most underrated and unfairly hated player on this team.

  5. #5
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    959
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    With Bargs and Kleiza, I think Colangelo should shop both of them in the coming year (an offseason trade is pretty much impossible for Kleiza), but the worst mistake he could make is feeling that he needs to trade them. Seriously, that is how GMs make a bad situation worse. It's not a simple case of addition by subtraction - he needs to win both trades, meaning get better players back who fit with the team identity better and have reasonable contracts, or pick up additional picks or flexibility. If a deal isn't out there that actually brings back these things, then Colangelo would do better to wait on them until the market for these guys improves. Right now, neither is holding back anyone else on the roster... we don't have another decent C who deserves minutes, and Kleiza won't be taking anyone's playing time in the near future. If we were to draft Kanter or Valanciunas, that might change; if it does, then trading Bargs becomes a serious topic for discussion.

  6. #6
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    341
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote RaptorsFan4Life wrote: View Post
    Weems is the most underrated and unfairly hated player on this team.
    green font....Weems so hyped up that most fans think demar and weems is the next vc and tracy mcgrady.....

  7. #7
    Raptors Republic All-Star RaptorsFan4Life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,753
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote KakashiPrince wrote: View Post
    green font....Weems so hyped up that most fans think demar and weems is the next vc and tracy mcgrady.....


    They will be in a couple of seasons. Book it.

  8. #8
    Raptors Republic All-Star Balls of Steel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Richmond Hill, ON
    Posts
    1,970
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote RaptorsFan4Life wrote: View Post
    Weems is the most underrated and unfairly hated player on this team.
    Wow, your man-crush is undeniable.
    “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

  9. #9
    Raptors Republic All-Star Balls of Steel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Richmond Hill, ON
    Posts
    1,970
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote charlz wrote: View Post
    1. wasting Draft pick on tweener Jared Sullinger (see Sean May / Ike Diogu)

    2. Not Dealing Bargs in the off season would be a huge mistake (Greg Munro is already a better fit on a winning team)

    3. Over paying Weems/Reggie to return (should try to keep both)

    4. Not Dealing Kleiza would be a mistake - When you look at how JJ defends the perimeter and compare it to Kleiza.... nuff said

    5. wasting 9mil Cap Exemp - package some of the non-core players and get some new blood in from a winning program with an emphasis on Defense if possible.
    That is of course, he's still the Raps' GM
    “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

  10. #10
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,799
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote RaptorsFan4Life wrote: View Post
    Weems is the most underrated and unfairly hated player on this team.
    Underrated and unfairly hated player? He is overrated, and thinks he's Kobe Bryant. The dude sucks, he has a couple games where he gets streaky, but his defense and team-play make him our worst player this season IMO. Yes, worse than Ajinca.

  11. #11
    Raptors Republic All-Star RaptorsFan4Life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,753
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Balls of Steel wrote: View Post
    Wow, your man-crush is undeniable.
    I don't have a man-cruch on him, I just think the hate and the negativity is unwarranted.

    ----
    I posted this in the other thread but whatever



    http://yfrog.com/nyscreenshothbp


    http://yfrog.com/nnscreenshot1ysp


    http://yfrog.com/44screenshot2dsp


    http://yfrog.com/5ascreenshot3fsp


    http://yfrog.com/5oscreenshot4yngp


    http://yfrog.com/nmscreenshot5ap


    http://yfrog.com/f3screenshot6oup


    http://yfrog.com/jbscreenshot7top


    http://yfrog.com/12screenshot86gp

  12. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Burlington Ontario
    Posts
    749
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Weems isn't terrible. I'll admit he's not that good, but its Triano's Fault for putting him at SF he just doesn't have the height and strength to guard the taller SF's in this league. I'd keep him as a 3rd string SG and give him like 12 minutes or sumthing, i'm almost sure he'd improve if they did that. I'd hate to see the dude leave cuz he'd suffer, what team do u think would want weems? if any team did take him he'd be at the end of the bench or in the D league. I say try to keep him for cheap and help the guy develop his game.

  13. #13
    Raptors Republic Starter b2kelly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    256
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote charlz wrote: View Post

    1. wasting Draft pick on tweener Jared Sullinger (see Sean May / Ike Diogu) SO TRUE

    2. Not Dealing Bargs in the off season would be a huge mistake (Greg Munro is already a better fit on a winning team)

    Can we get rid of his SOFT no grit pasta eating arse ASAP

    3. Over paying Weems/Reggie to return (should try to keep both)

    -Excellent point, drop Weems asap if need be we can just source another one of him from the D league at any time
    -Reggie is ok, he could stay or go.. but it boggles my mind that the dude can't make a bucket to save his life, just throw it down big man whats wrong with you?


    4. Not Dealing Kleiza would be a mistake - When you look at how JJ defends the perimeter and compare it to Kleiza.... nuff said
    Not the time to deal Kleiza, but I dont think he should be included in parts of the plan for the future. It is best to wait for him to heal up a bit, play a few games, show that he can walk and chop him out before next years trade deadline to get MAX value for him. Maybe try and pick up another mid high first round pick for him?

  14. #14
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    19,648
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote b2kelly wrote: View Post
    Not the time to deal Kleiza, but I dont think he should be included in parts of the plan for the future. It is best to wait for him to heal up a bit, play a few games, show that he can walk and chop him out before next years trade deadline to get MAX value for him. Maybe try and pick up another mid high first round pick for him?
    The flip side is he gets healthy and shows why he was signed. Kleiza never had a chance to play healthy after the beginning of preseason.

  15. #15
    Super Moderator MangoKid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Scarborough
    Posts
    3,123
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote charlz wrote: View Post
    1. wasting Draft pick on tweener Jared Sullinger (see Sean May / Ike Diogu)

    2. Not Dealing Bargs in the off season would be a huge mistake (Greg Munro is already a better fit on a winning team)

    3. Over paying Weems/Reggie to return (should try to keep both)

    4. Not Dealing Kleiza would be a mistake - When you look at how JJ defends the perimeter and compare it to Kleiza.... nuff said

    5. wasting 9mil Cap Exemp - package some of the non-core players and get some new blood in from a winning program with an emphasis on Defense if possible.
    Let's go through this...

    1. I'm taking it that you've never seen Sullinger play. If you had, there's no way you'd be comparing the kid to Ike Diogu or Sean May. Some might not like the fact that he's not a prolific shot blocker, but the kid has a ridicuolously high basketball IQ, leads the team in scoring, has a nose for rebounding and is the best player on the best team in the nation. He was nominated as a player of the year award - all of this in his freshman year.

    2. Not dealing Bargnani would be a mistake? You know what kind of deals are going to be presented/offered to Colangelo for Bargnani? Not very good ones. Many general managers will point to his deficiencies in regards to reboudning and will lowball Colangelo. I'd rather have Bargnani than some other stiff that'll clog up the cap.

    3. Weems won't get much, but Reggie will get the MLE - If not from us, he'll get it from some other team. It might take a bit more from us to lock him in and prevent him from going to a contender.

    4. Not dealing Kleiza would be a mistake? Seriously? The guy's gone for at least a year, so you think someone's gonna want to deal for him? Kleiza put up the numbers he did with a serious knee problem. I wouldn't start Johnson over him.

    5. Wasting the remaining exemption 9M? Packaging the non-core players. Right. Because team in the league is dying for OUR bench players. I'm sure there's a plethora of contending teams out there that really wants to package their players for "non-core" players on one of the worst teams in the league.

  16. #16
    Raptors Republic All-Star WJF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Nova Scotia
    Posts
    1,538
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote MangoKid wrote: View Post
    Let's go through this...

    1. I'm taking it that you've never seen Sullinger play. If you had, there's no way you'd be comparing the kid to Ike Diogu or Sean May. Some might not like the fact that he's not a prolific shot blocker, but the kid has a ridicuolously high basketball IQ, leads the team in scoring, has a nose for rebounding and is the best player on the best team in the nation. He was nominated as a player of the year award - all of this in his freshman year.

    2. Not dealing Bargnani would be a mistake? You know what kind of deals are going to be presented/offered to Colangelo for Bargnani? Not very good ones. Many general managers will point to his deficiencies in regards to reboudning and will lowball Colangelo. I'd rather have Bargnani than some other stiff that'll clog up the cap.

    3. Weems won't get much, but Reggie will get the MLE - If not from us, he'll get it from some other team. It might take a bit more from us to lock him in and prevent him from going to a contender.

    4. Not dealing Kleiza would be a mistake? Seriously? The guy's gone for at least a year, so you think someone's gonna want to deal for him? Kleiza put up the numbers he did with a serious knee problem. I wouldn't start Johnson over him.

    5. Wasting the remaining exemption 9M? Packaging the non-core players. Right. Because team in the league is dying for OUR bench players. I'm sure there's a plethora of contending teams out there that really wants to package their players for "non-core" players on one of the worst teams in the league.
    Thank you for posting that, now I don`t have to.

  17. #17
    Raptors Republic All-Star slaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    2,096
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote MangoKid wrote: View Post
    Let's go through this...

    1. I'm taking it that you've never seen Sullinger play. If you had, there's no way you'd be comparing the kid to Ike Diogu or Sean May. Some might not like the fact that he's not a prolific shot blocker, but the kid has a ridicuolously high basketball IQ, leads the team in scoring, has a nose for rebounding and is the best player on the best team in the nation. He was nominated as a player of the year award - all of this in his freshman year.

    3. Weems won't get much, but Reggie will get the MLE - If not from us, he'll get it from some other team. It might take a bit more from us to lock him in and prevent him from going to a contender.
    1. My only concern with Sullinger is that he is a below-the-rim guy. He isn't going to be a prolific shotblocker in the NBA and he's going to have trouble getting his shot off against NBA-level athleticism. But I do agree he is way better than Sean May or Diogu. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if he went #1.

    3. I don't think Reggie will get anywhere near the MLE. He'll get a vet minimum somewhere. The guy could barely get on the floor 2 years ago on a playoff team. He only looks okay in Toronto cause the talent level here is so, so low. Plus, he's only played like 50 games in 2 seasons and he's old. MLE is too much for an aging, oft-injured, one-note player.

  18. #18
    Super Moderator MangoKid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Scarborough
    Posts
    3,123
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote slaw wrote: View Post
    1. My only concern with Sullinger is that he is a below-the-rim guy. He isn't going to be a prolific shotblocker in the NBA and he's going to have trouble getting his shot off against NBA-level athleticism. But I do agree he is way better than Sean May or Diogu. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if he went #1.

    3. I don't think Reggie will get anywhere near the MLE. He'll get a vet minimum somewhere. The guy could barely get on the floor 2 years ago on a playoff team. He only looks okay in Toronto cause the talent level here is so, so low. Plus, he's only played like 50 games in 2 seasons and he's old. MLE is too much for an aging, oft-injured, one-note player.
    Sullinger is a below the rim kind of guy, but his smarts and savvy on the court lead him to be a very good player. He very well could end up like a Kevin Love player - something that a lot of us around here wouldn't say no to. We could use a Kevin Love-type player.

    As for Reggie..he may be a one-note player, but he's very good at what he does. One of the best in fact. This is why I believe he'll get the MLE. Some team with rebounding woes will throw the cash at him.

  19. #19
    Administrator Apollo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    12,131
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote slaw wrote: View Post
    1. My only concern with Sullinger is that he is a below-the-rim guy. He isn't going to be a prolific shotblocker in the NBA and he's going to have trouble getting his shot off against NBA-level athleticism. But I do agree he is way better than Sean May or Diogu. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if he went #1.
    I didn't think the May and Diogu comparisons were fair to begin with. The main thing they all have in common is that they're all short and stocky for their position. May had all the talent in the world, came from an excellent program where he was a leader and a champion. His conditioning was poor though and his body didn't hold up. If he entered the league in peak condition and had no health issues he would probably be an important to piece to some team right now. Diogu is raw and needs a whole lot of work. The guy isn't polished at all but has far superior conditioning to May's. I think Sullinger is the best of both worlds. He takes care of himself and he's has lots of talent. He could be an Antonio Davis type player in my opinion.

  20. #20
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    987
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote charlz wrote: View Post

    2. Not Dealing Bargs in the off season would be a huge mistake (Greg Munro is already a better fit on a winning team)


    4. Not Dealing Kleiza would be a mistake - When you look at how JJ defends the perimeter and compare it to Kleiza.... nuff said
    Dealing AB is the biggest mistake that he can make. I replace your number 2 with this:

    2. Not Dealing Amir or ED in the off season would be a huge mistake. Use ONE of themand the draft pick to get a REAL star in town.

    3. Keep Evans. He is and will out play Amir for next 2 years in the limited role that both can play.

    4. Get a Real SF !!! All this JJ and Keliza talk are pure BS. Both guys SHOULD not be starting in any NBA team.

    5. Trade Calderon and Bayless.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •