Official Rule Violation Madness!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Official Rule Violation Madness!

Anyone down for a thread highlighting all the rule transgressions in today's NBA?

I'd like to start with this insane non-call against the most egregious travel I think I've ever seen.

http://espn.go.com/nba/recap?gameId=310320015

(sorry, I have no idea how to embed video)

Highlights from yesterdays Knicks-Bucks game. The play in question begins at about the 12 second mark of the video.

It's hard to tell, but i think Anthony took about 7 steps after picking up the ball off the steal. 7 steps, with ONE dribble. Seriously, why even bother with the dribble? Anthony could have thrown down a SICK, crowd-pleasing, ticket-selling dunk if he just picked up the ball and ran full on towards the hoop.

i watched the video like 15 times. I don't see a travel. Maybe a double dribble. when he tips the ball out and runs after it that isn't a travel because he hasn't picked up the ball, you can also argue he doesn't have possession. When he catches back up to the ball i'm not sure he picks it up or just crosses it over to his left. If he picks it up and then dribbles than it is a double-dribble. Since you can't travel while dribbling, only after, it doesn't matter how many steps he takes between dribbles as long as he doesn't palm the ball. If you argue he hasn't gained possession than he could tip the ball out and grab it with two hands and then begin to dribble. But i don't see the travel.
    "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

I think he took 3 steps

Comment

He clearly took around 7 steps from the time he takes control of the ball around half court.

Hmmm...the video seems to be gone now. Oh well. If you can get from just past half court to the basket, only take one dribble, and NOT commit a massive travel, you must be a master of reality of some kind. That's all I'm saying.

Comment

jeff_hostetler wrote: View Post
          He clearly took around 7 steps from the time he takes control of the ball around half court.

Hmmm...the video seems to be gone now. Oh well. If you can get from just past half court to the basket, only take one dribble, and NOT commit a massive travel, you must be a master of reality of some kind. That's all I'm saying.
          OR Master of the UNIVERSE!

Comment

I stand by my statement.

Comment

Key observation restated:
              when he tips the ball out and runs after it that isn't a travel because he hasn't picked up the ball, you can also argue he doesn't have possession.

Comment

Key observation restated:

You quoted that, but apparently you did not read it?

Comment

Actually upon further inspection (I haven't seen the original video, but I assume that this is the particular play mentioned), I believe you are right.

Comment

That is indeed the play. At around the 37 second mark.

Comment

I wish I could slow it down, but I feel like when he grabbed the ball around half, he took two steps. Then he took one dribble and two quick steps during the dribble, took another step during his gather, finished picking it up and took his two steps to the basket. Someone should slow it down so it can be counted again.

Comment

You're allowed up to two steps upon gaining possession of the ball, so long as you were already moving. That's why when players cut, they often do not dribble but take two steps, and why players coming off of screens take a step or two. Not a travel by my eye.
                        Joshua Priemski
                        NBA blogger
                        SB Nation's Rufus on Fire
                        www.RufusOnFire.com/
                        www.twitter.com/HoopPlusTheHarm/

Comment

Lebron James Travel

Next up: two crazy non-calls against Lebron James (from the Bulls series). People, this is just getting ridiculous. What's the point of having rules? It's goddamn infuriating. Sonny Weems would be a superstar if he were allowed to get away with half the shit James does.

Case number 1: Three steps in the drive. This came at a point in the game when no one was scoring for the Heat but Bosh. The non-call was crucial to allowing James to start getting into a flow. Note: it's easier to see on the replay, about 30 seconds in. What's also infuriating? The commentator's silence. It's one thing for the refs to ignore it, but for the commentators having access to replay? Instead of drawing attention to an obvious travel, they commend James' ability to drive and get to the hoop.

Case number 2: This one is just crazy. James dribbles, then gets cut off by Deng. The cutoff - great defense by Deng - forces James to pick up his dribble. What does James do? Goes into the triple threat, step-fakes, then drives to the hoop. This is the worst non call I've ever seen. What the fuck! It's clear in this case that James knows he can get away with what he wants, and exploits it. This is such a clear-as-day violation, it's stunning.

Comment

That first one is brutal. It's SO obvious it hurts.

That second one, at first I couldn't believe what I was watching. Most blatant double-dribble EVER.
                            However, upon further review, it looks like his "dribble" is actually Deng knocking the ball out of his hands to the ground. James regains possesion, and the play continues.

Thats the ONLY thing I think of.

Otherwise, this makes me hate the Refs REALLY bad.

Comment

it's like i've said before... i don't enjoy watching the miami heat...

not because i hate lebron and bosh.. i hate kobe, but i enjoy watching the lakers play
                              not because they've reinvented and patented "UGLY".. shawn kemp, one of my favourite players ever is no supermodel
                              not because im against jumping on a bandwagon.. i watched the jersey shore

bad ref calls ruin the game for anybody who actually gives a shit about the game. period.

watching the heat play is a constant stream of me screaming at the TV things like "really?! thats allowed now??" or "really?!?! GOOD DEFENSE is a foul now?!"

i'm not saying the refs are crooked.....

no wait... that's EXACTLY what i'm saying

Comment

Working...
                              X