Raptors' Draft Lottery Odds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Apollo wrote: View Post
    • I'm not suggesting Fredette doesn't have a good work ethic. My point was Walker has the work ethic, know how and ability.
    • Point out where I compared Jimmer Fredette to Jose Calderon?

Rajon Rondo is only around 6 foot and yet he's probably the best defensive PG in the league. The point of my post was size only matters if you're talking about two equal players. Fredette doesn't come close to Walker on defense. Size difference is a non-factor in this case.

Another underrated ability that Walker has is rebounding.

Walker also has excellent Assist to turnover ratio 2.06. If Fredette is turning the ball over 3.5 times in college ball what happens when the game speeds up a great deal with the move to the pros?

Walker in the tourney so far:

25.5PPG, 8.5 AST, 6REB, 1.5STL, 4.25A/T
    Fredette 33PPG, 6.5AST, 3REB, 0.5 STLs (1.3STL during the season).

Why do we need a PG the can rebound? With the size in NBA I doubt Walker would even be getting that many rebounds in the NBA.
    Last edited by RaptorsFan4Life; Mon Mar 21, 2011, 05:44 PM.

Comment

There are some massive differences from mock site to mock site right now. http://www.draftexpress.com/ has Jonas Valanciunas going 2nd overall. No one else has him in the top 15. Kemba is 8th on the draft express mock, but he doesn't show up until 13 on a site like http://www.nbadraft.net/. I'm starting to not worry about where we fall in this draft, it seems like other than Irving, Williams and Sullinger no one is in agreement with who is actually any good in this class.

That said, I love what I've read about Valanciunas, even more so than Kanter. If we are serious about moving Bargs, I'd love to add him to our core. Nothing better than a big center who prides himself on being a good pick and roll guy.
      "Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival."

-Churchill

Comment

RaptorsFan4Life, when your starting center doesn't rebound you need to make it up everywhere else. Rajon Rondo has no trouble rebounding the ball. I don't think Rondo is anymore athletic than Walker.

What does Fredette do exceptionally well besides score? If that doesn't transition to the NBA that you're looking at an Adam Morrison situation.

Last time I checked the Raptors aren't in need of another one dimensional offensive player.

Comment

RaptorsFan4Life, when your starting center doesn't rebound you need to make it up everywhere else. Rajon Rondo has no trouble rebounding the ball. I don't think Rondo is anymore athletic than Walker.

What does Fredette do exceptionally well besides score? If that doesn't transition to the NBA that you're looking at an Adam Morrison situation.

Last time I checked the Raptors aren't in need of another one dimensional offensive player.
          He can assist pretty well. Last I checked there aren't that many good defensive PG in the league anyways; Nash, Rose, Kidd etc.

Raptors do need a good 3pt shooter and someone who's a better defender then Jose.

BTW everything you're listing was said about Curry as well.
          Last edited by RaptorsFan4Life; Mon Mar 21, 2011, 05:59 PM.

Comment

No more shoot em players on this team, please. We need a REAL pg, not some gunslinger from Utah. if we had a mid to late 1st round pick, then yeah, I would go for Fredette if he was still available. Until then, I'd much rather have a guy who can facilitate very well and defend very well.

Comment

webcrawler89 wrote: View Post
              No more shoot em players on this team, please. We need a REAL pg, not some gunslinger from Utah. if we had a mid to late 1st round pick, then yeah, I would go for Fredette if he was still available. Until then, I'd much rather have a guy who can facilitate very well and defend very well.
              If you watched Fredette you'd know he's far from "gun slinger". He is really good at getting to the basket, has great court vision and can pass. He is a real PG.

Comment

How many titles have those three won combined? For the record Kidd was a good defender in his prime. That's not important though. You're right, there aren't many outstanding defenders in the league at PG but... Doesn't that make them more valuable? The Pistons never would have won a title if Billups didn't bring it in a big way on both side. Ditto for Rondo and the Celtics. Rondo is arguably the best PG in the league even though the stats won't back it up because they don't measure defense adequately.

We as Raptors fans have been watching shitty defensive teams fail miserably for most of the past decade. We of all people should be able to appreciate the importance of defense at every position. The Raptors' offense is better than average most nights but thier defense is absolutely horrible...

Comment

Fredette isn't as bad of a defender as you're making him to be and his work ethic will only make him better with the right coaching int the NBA.

Comment

RaptorsFan4Life wrote: View Post
                    Fredette 33PPG, 6.5AST, 3REB, 0.5 STLs (1.3STL during the season).

Why do we need a PG the can rebound? With the size in NBA I doubt Walker would even be getting that many rebounds in the NBA.
                    Wow, really?

Since I assume you are serious it would be because we have a C who cannot.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                      Wow, really?

Since I assume you are serious it would be because we have a C who cannot.
                      We have PFs/SFs/SGs who can. Like I said in that post being 5 ft 10-6ft I highly doubt he's going to be a major contributer on the boards unless he's taking easy defensive beards. There is too much size in the NBA.
                      Last edited by RaptorsFan4Life; Mon Mar 21, 2011, 07:03 PM.

Comment

You take Reggie Evans out of the equation and the Raptors are collectively one of the worst rebound clubs in the league. I say take Reggie out because the guy more than likely won't be here next season. They're ranked 22.

Comment

You take Reggie Evans out of the equation and the Raptors are collectively one of the worst rebound clubs in the league. I say take Reggie out because the guy more than likely won't be here next season.
                          Ed was doing a good job with Reggie out and he'll most likely continue to improve along with Amir. Hopefully add some bulk.

Comment

RaptorsFan4Life wrote: View Post
                            We have PFs/SFs/SGs who can. Like I said in that post being 5 ft 10-6ft I highly doubt he's going to be a major contributer on the boards unless he's taking easy defensive beards. There is too much size in the NBA.
                            If it is only a matter of height, then being seven feet he should get a lot of easy defensive rebounds. Rondo gets 4.2 and he is not the 6'1" he is listed.

Agreed on rebounding PF's but who are the SGs and SFs? I do not see an above average rebounding wing on the roster.

Comment

K, no one is drafting Fredette in the top-5, in the same fashion J.J. Reddick was, or even Tyler Hansborough.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                                If it is only a matter of height, then being seven feet he should get a lot of easy defensive rebounds. Rondo gets 4.2 and he is not the 6'1" he is listed.

Agreed on rebounding PF's but who are the SGs and SFs? I do not see an above average rebounding wing on the roster.
                                It's obviously not solely based on high but it is very important.

JJ can rebound pretty well, Weems has had a bunch of 5/6 rebound games when he was the starter and Kleiza has a couple 10+ rebounding games if I recall correctly (which is great seeing as he was playing hurt). Demar isn't that horrible at rebounding.

chunkable wrote: View Post
                                K, no one is drafting Fredette in the top-5, in the same fashion J.J. Reddick was, or even Tyler Hansborough.
                                How do you know? If he keeps playing the way he has in the playoffs so far theres a very good chance he's going to in the top 10.

BTW For the love of god stop ****ing comparing him to Redick, he's not a bloody SG, he's PG. If you ever watched him play especially in the playoff you'd see that. It's blatantly clear. He's much more like Curry then Redick, the only think Redick and Fredette have in common is their jumpshot.
                                Last edited by RaptorsFan4Life; Mon Mar 21, 2011, 08:21 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X