No announcement yet.

How would you rate the rebuild so far?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How would you rate the rebuild so far?

I think it's gone fairly well;
    • No Turk
    • Majority of the team is under 25
    • Got JJ for a fairly weak later first rounder in a crappy draft
    • Amir, Ed and Demar have and still are progressing fairly well
    • High draft pick
    • Multiple expiring contracts
    • Lots of cap space

I'm going to give it a B because this team still can't play D.
    A
    3.03%
    B
    42.42%
    C
    42.42%
    D
    9.09%
    F
    3.03%
    Last edited by RaptorsFan4Life; Thu Mar 24, 2011, 08:54 AM.

RaptorsFan4Life wrote: View Post
    I think it's gone fairly well;
    • No Turk
    • Majority of the team is under 25
    • Got JJ for a fairly weak later first rounder in a crappy draft
    • Amir, Ed and Demar have and still are progressing fairly well
    • High draft pick
    • Multiple expiring contracts
    • Lots of cap space

I'm going to give it a B because this team still can't play D.
    So far - alright. I'm going with a B as well - if minus was there it would be a B-.

Considering the last 2 years we have picked 9 and 13 we have 2 very decent players.

This draft and off-season is going to be crucial. That B could very easily turn to an F. I hope Jose goes and Triano is gone as well.

Comment

Looking at where the team was at the end of last season and where they are now I need to give the rebuild so far a solid B. There is much work to be done but getting rid of Turkoglu for Barbosa was big. The Amir Johnson signing now looks solid. The drafting of ED Davis and Solomon Alabi was excellent. Adding Wright, Ajinca and Bayless were solid moves. The JJ trade was excellent. Kleiza looked to be a solid signing followed up by extremely bad luck. Like him or not, I don't think you can give him a bad grade on the rebuild so far. He brought in a bunch of talented young players.

Comment

I too am hoping Triano isn't coaching here next year. He's had his chance, and, while it's true you can only coach so far as the talent on the floor will allow, something has to be done about the defensive culture (or lack thereof) of this team. It's high time the Raps brought in a vet with defensive credentials.

As far as the rebuild, I also give a B, which to me is basically a holding pattern. A lot hinges upon the draft and/or the lockout. If there's a lockout, the holding pattern will likely continue until next year, where there will be a new draft filled to the end of the lottery almost with excellent, starter-quality talent.

If Bargnani had already been moved, the grade could be an A-, though that too is contingent upon what was received in return.

Comment

I am going with a grade of C.

I feel that we are positioned to improve, we still have a few moves to make in order to take the next step. Once I see how the draft unfolds and what we do with our expiring deals I can reevaluate. Right now we are just in the rough draft of the assignment, the layout is there but will the team go deep enough into detail to warrant a better grade, we won't know till the final edit.
          Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

If you asked me to rate the team I'd say C, we've seen improvement from some guys but we have holes in our rooster and can't play D. If you asked me how the rebuild is going I'd say "B" maybe even "B+". I feel like we have a plan, and that plan is going the way it is expected. Yes we have holes to fill at PG,SF, and C but hopefully we can draft someone who can shore up one of those positions. If BC drafts a bust or gives up too much of our young talent to shift into a "compete now" strategy my mark would drop quickly and significantly.
            "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

I vote a C. I like the direction we are going but I think we could have done a lot better with the Bosh deal than we did. I know hindsight is everything and Bosh was not showing any cards on the table. But we were mediocre when Bosh was our go to guy, and we should have sent him packing at the trade deadline knowing that we would be a mediocre team with him, even if we had the opportunity to sign him back. I just wish BC had a little bit of foresight, similar to what O'Connor had with Utah this year.

But my grade might change depending on what happens in the off season.

Comment

The Raptors didn't start rebuilding until the summer. I think the idea of this thread was to draw a line in the sand of where the old era ended and the rebuild began and to look at this period of time independent of the period prior. As such I don't think it makes sense to knock him in the rebuild for a trade that did not happen before the rebuild.

I'd give him a D for what happened prior to the rebuild but that's not the topic...

Comment

I would give the rebuild an A-. When evaluating a rebuild I think it is safe to compare it to the Thunder and how their rebuilding process unfolded. Still in Seatle, Durant's first season was rough (similar to this raptors season) then they got their two main pieces (Westbrook and Durant) and were moved to OKC, they had a 23 win season highlighted by a strong finish.

OKC basically played it smart and lucked out with drafting Durant and Westbrook.

So far i looks like BC is being smart about contracts and correcting bad deals he has made. I feel like we lucked out drafting Derozan and Davis and even getting JJ for free and with any luck we could get Irving in the draft. Then hopefully, like OKC, another year of growth followed by a break out year. I just see alot of similarities between this years raptors team and the Sonics the last year they were in Seatle.

In short, the raptors have financial flexibility this year and the next. And almost their entire roster is under 25 and talented. What more can one do to rebuild?

Comment

A team with no direction, no real talent ( only 2 -3 players that have potential to be solid starters in this league), Wasiting time and money on Scrubs, Handling big contract to no talent garbage men, weak coaching, no team philosophy, no team chemistry and ...

D

Comment

C-

I give them this grade because of the sense of this rebuild simply having no direction, we are rebuilding and we have some good pieces but we have nothing to build around. We acquired personal that are so weak on defence that when drafting we have to keep this largely in mind, we could take the best player in the draft but if his defence sucks then we are digging deeper in a hole that keeps getting deeper. We need more diversity , players who are willing to play hard defence, you can't teach talent but you can teach good defence and its on the players and the culture in the organization to do this.

We need to dump the idea of Bargs as a great player on this team, we can get two quality players who can score a little bit and play great defence for Bargs, this would be best for this team. I don't know who will be out there this summer for free agents but we should make a strong push for Marc Gasol if we can, draft a quaility player that plays defence and trade Bargs for what I stated above then we can rebuild in a more positive direction.
                      Last edited by goldenboy78; Thu Mar 24, 2011, 02:54 PM.

Comment

I'd give it a B. Getting rid of Turk for Barbosa was huge. We've seen development in most of our young core. For the most part, the team has not been blown out of games and have played quite hard in most games. We have a nice core of good, young, 2nd tier players. Two of them (DeRozan and Davis) have a chance to be front tier players in the future. We also have cap space. With the likelihood of a hard cap coming in next year, this going to be huge if and when teams need to get rid of good players to fit under the cap. This summer will be huge. With a bit of luck, we get Irving in the draft, get a SF via free agency or trade, and maybe upgrade the defence. If we can do this and stay healthy next year, I would not be surprised to see this team get around 35-38 wins next year and challenge for the 8th spot in the Conference. Bargs....I'm not sure what to do with him. If the right deal emerges, I'd move him but I would not simply give him away. As for Triano, I'll give him one more year before deciding whether they should dump him or not. The key will be this summer's draft. Everything else will fall into place afterward. Keep your fingers crossed that we get Irving.

Comment

jd4 wrote: View Post
                          I'd give it a B. Getting rid of Turk for Barbosa was huge.
                          The Only problem with you giving praise to BC for that move is that he made the mistake in the first place when all other GMs of the league went " What a F*** !!!"

Comment

Raptor4Ever wrote: View Post
                            A team with no direction, no real talent ( only 2 -3 players that have potential to be solid starters in this league), Wasiting time and money on Scrubs, Handling big contract to no talent garbage men, weak coaching, no team philosophy, no team chemistry and ...

D
                            haha dude you need to take a really cold shower, too much angst.

Comment

IMO, the rebuild consists of not just the players, but everything to do with the team, meaning coaches, trainers, etc.

If we're talking solely on the players, i give it a C. From what we are being shown right now, there is no clear cut go-to guy on this team. and IMO, when you rebuild, you have to rebuild around a particular player, you cant just keep acquiring pieces and hope they all fit. You acquire a centerpiece and work your way around him. Thats rebuilding, IMO. Now, if BC acquired DD thinking that Bosh was going to bolt and make him the new player to rebuild around, then Im good with that. Acquiring JJ and Bayless, drafting Ed and re-signing Amir, i think the Raps are on the right track. But like i always say, the core/starters have to be clearly defined before they do anything else. Ive come to terms with the fact that Bargs is and should not be the focal point of this team. And i think management is too, otherwise, they shouldve taken massive steps last season to get Bargs when he needs to be. For starters, they shouldve gotten him a good defensive and post-up coach. Invest in the guy in you are going to make him your franchise player. But they havent done anything towards that, as far as i know.

If we're including management with the rebuild, then i give that a D. Triano has had flashes this season, but most of the time, he just does things that make you scratch your head. I dont know what it is but sometimes he just gets into a lull, like he goes into hibernation mode. Raps up 15, opponent makes a run and he waits till its a tied game before he calls a timeout. Barbosa scorches the opponents with 17pts in the 1st half and he doesnt play him till the mid of the 4th. Bargnani bungles the last shot before at the end of regulation and he gives him the ball again for the last shot at at the end of the 3rd OT. I dont know if BC told him to tank the season, but it wont make sense because this is a weak draft, and nobody can really the Cavs for that honor, so i guess its just him not being a good coach.

Im just curious as to what BC (if he's still here) is going to do with the draft pick and cap space.

Comment

Working...
                              X