How would you rate the rebuild so far?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

C? No home runs but nothing bad either.

It's hard to judge because this rebuild was really forced on management (this wasn't Plan A, B, C, D or Z) and they haven't really had time to do anything other than unload unwanted contracts (e.g. Turk, Jack) and take flyers on some guys (Bayless, Ajinca, Johnson).

This offseason will tell us more about where they are headed or if management is even committed to a proper rebuild (I have my doubts).

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post
      This offseason will tell us more about where they are headed or if management is even committed to a proper rebuild (I have my doubts).
      But what is a proper rebuild?

The way the Lakers did it? Heist of a trade
      The way the Bulls did it? Going from 9-1 in the draft
      The way the Celtics did it? Cashing out all assets
      The way the Thunder did it? 3 years of misery with uck drafting 2 franchise players and other solid draft picks

Build me a team that can compete. I don't care how it is done as long as deep playoff runs are delivered with the possibility of a championship.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
        Build me a team that can compete. I don't care how it is done as long as deep playoff runs are delivered with the possibility of a championship.
        Neither do I. I also agree that you need some luck. Hey, if we can move Amir Johnson and Ajinca for Dirk Nowitzki and trade the #5 pick for Chris Paul I am all over that. I just don't think the assets are here to translate into a quick turnaround and that they need to build through the draft. Based on what we saw last summer after Bosh left, my fear is that management moves young guys for vets not to win a 'ship but to get into the playoffs.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
          But what is a proper rebuild?

The way the Lakers did it? Heist of a trade
          The way the Bulls did it? Going from 9-1 in the draft
          The way the Celtics did it? Cashing out all assets
          The way the Thunder did it? 3 years of misery with uck drafting 2 franchise players and other solid draft picks

I think you can look at your 4 teams and you get your answer... find an extremely talented player(s) that can make those other guys around them better simply by being on the floor. That guy that has an edge and is able to rise to a challenge. A guy that can contribute by any and all means necessary, and do it effectively, efficiently and consistently. And you get that guy by any means avaiable.

This team does not have that. This team has not had that since Vince quit.

Just having "young guys" is meaningless if they don't turn into that. Drafting year after year is meaningless if you don't draft that.

Don't waste time and money on guys that will not contribute both immediately and in the long term. Don't waste time on guys that are not "assets" that can be turned into something else.

Right now this team only has 2 guys that could start on a good team (Jose and Amir) A few others that could probably be back ups (Barbossa, Evans) and a few who MAY be able to contribute at some point in the future (Demar, Ed, JJ)

The rest is wasted money and playing time.

Their is no focus on this team. There is no direction. There is not 100% effort put out on a nightly basis. There are too many question marks.

Without some serious changes and a crap load of luck this is not getting better anytime soon.

This "rebuild" hasn't even started yet. This is just the start of the crappy years until the team gets its shit together.

The rebuild gets an N/A.

Comment

GarbageTime wrote: View Post
            I think you can look at your 4 teams and you get your answer... find an extremely talented player(s) that can make those other guys around them better simply by being on the floor. That guy that has an edge and is able to rise to a challenge. A guy that can contribute by any and all means necessary, and do it effectively, efficiently and consistently. And you get that guy by any means avaiable.

This team does not have that. This team has not had that since Vince quit.

Just having "young guys" is meaningless if they don't turn into that. Drafting year after year is meaningless if you don't draft that.

Don't waste time and money on guys that will not contribute both immediately and in the long term. Don't waste time on guys that are not "assets" that can be turned into something else.

Right now this team only has 2 guys that could start on a good team (Jose and Amir) A few others that could probably be back ups (Barbossa, Evans) and a few who MAY be able to contribute at some point in the future (Demar, Ed, JJ)

The rest is wasted money and playing time.

Their is no focus on this team. There is no direction. There is not 100% effort put out on a nightly basis. There are too many question marks.

Without some serious changes and a crap load of luck this is not getting better anytime soon.

This "rebuild" hasn't even started yet. This is just the start of the crappy years until the team gets its shit together.

The rebuild gets an N/A.
            I agree with everything you said but I put a little more value on DeMar and Ed.

It is tough to get a read on the direction when the team is being torn apart.

I think of the Raptors like the old Marine line: they tear you down and build you back stronger. The draft and offseason are going to be interesting. Too bad the offseason is going to be delayed.

Comment

I think the first time that a grade should be given to this rebuild should be after the draft........as of now, we have somewhat of an idea of who's likely to stay and who's likely on the move (nothing's concrete obviously, but guys like Ed, DD, JB, JJ ..etc) I'd say it'd be fair to give a grade following the draft, where we'll have seen not only who they've drafted, but any other transactions that have happened along the way.....viva KEMBA WALKER!! (kyrie or d.williams would be also nice) never been so excited for a draft before.....not really because of the strength of the talent, but because I'm really curious as to who's the next piece to the Raptors Rebuild Puzzle........

and Garbage Time you need to CHIILLLLLLLL on the negativity - I understand fans criticizing and being upset, but damn no need to crap on the future like that - the next season opener will lie somewhere between Oct28-31/2011.....until then, nobody knows how good or bad the starting lineup will look like.......until then, it's difficult to evaluate how far the franchise has come......the draft is in 90 days and as a Raps fan, that's the next big day after the season has ended to really look forward to
              Your ex came by; you can call me Jonas Valanciunas, cause I'm the king of rebounds!

Comment

When there is no talent in a team, when scrubs like James Johnson, Acinja, Weems, Bayless and Amir are sold to the fan as a future promising player, then you should expect to get raped and destroy like that last night against a GSW

This team has only 3 decent players and this is it Thank you BC for your hard work for last 5 years

Comment

Raptor4Ever wrote: View Post
                  When there is no talent in a team, when scrubs like James Johnson, Acinja, Weems, Bayless and Amir are sold to the fan as a future promising player, then you should expect to get raped and destroy like that last night against a GSW

This team has only 3 decent players and this is it Thank you BC for your hard work for last 5 years
                  Scratch out James Johnson and put in Bargnani, he was terrible last night and he can't play defence for shit. James johnson was the only player that tried on the defensive end and tried to get something going. It was basically 1 on 5, Bargnani was a non factor offesively and obviously defesively, demar was bad on D, Ed was OK on D and Bayless was another player who was actually trying to get something going.

Comment

If Colangelo gets a lot of value for Bargnani in the off season then the rebuild gets a gigantic boost. You know it's sad but I think the Raptors might get more on court worth from a Bargnani trade than they did from the Chris Bosh S&T.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                      If Colangelo gets a lot of value for Bargnani in the off season then the rebuild gets a gigantic boost. You know it's sad but I think the Raptors might get more on court worth from a Bargnani trade than they did from the Chris Bosh S&T.
                      If the purpose of trade for AB is get value and talent back, isn't better to move Amir ?

Per Liston and Buddah , He is the most effective Raptors and now that we all think he has a very reasonable contract ( not sure what the rest of NBA thinks since they were laughing at BC last summer ), then we maybe able to get more value back.

Plus, the type of beating that AB got from Toronto Media, I think his trade value is at its all time low. Also, with emergence of Ed Davis, do we really need another skinny PF in this team ??

Comment

If the purpose of trade for AB is get value and talent back, isn't better to move Amir ?

Per Liston and Buddah , He is the most effective Raptors and now that we all think he has a very reasonable contract ( not sure what the rest of NBA thinks since they were laughing at BC last summer ), then we maybe able to get more value back.

Plus, the type of beating that AB got from Toronto Media, I think his trade value is at its all time low. Also, with emergence of Ed Davis, do we really need another skinny PF in this team ??
                        I agree, we need to move Amir. His performances are pathetic and go unnoticed and uncriticized, lets get him out of here before the cats out of the bag

Comment

The purpose of moving Bargnani is to get value back and shift the build to two guys who have the ability to be superb two way players, Ed and DeMar. If you watch the really good teams in the league then you know they are where they because they have guys like Amir coming off the bench. Amir reeks of Pop/Spurs basketball. They love guys like him because of the energy and fundamentals they bring to the table. Amir needs to stay. The team needs a strong bench and depth when injuries arise. Not to mention there is no way, no how that Amir Johnson has more value on the market than Andrea Bargnani. I don't believe it.

Bargnani is a big time scorer. Teams will pay for 25 year old 7 footers who can score 22PPG. He is at an age where there is still hope for him to fix his flaws. The fact that he hasn't had a strong coach yet to date also helps his case.

I think you greatly over weigh the influence of the Toronto media.

Comment

Too early to tell. Another year in the tank is key, as is getting Bargnani as far away from the team as possible. He's a poison. Two high picks to go along with Davis, Amir, Derozan and JJ and this team is back on the upswing.

Comment

Brasky wrote: View Post
                              Too early to tell. Another year in the tank is key, as is getting Bargnani as far away from the team as possible. He's a poison. Two high picks to go along with Davis, Amir, Derozan and JJ and this team is back on the upswing.
                              I disagree, I think we need a big C to put next to Bargs at PF, trade Amir (redundant), and let big Ed come off the bench.

IF possible package all the Young Gunz in one deal for a new C and a 2.

Comment

Working...
                              X