Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Franchise Player?

Raptors Republic All-Star Employee's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote GarbageTime wrote: View Post
    There is no Franchis player on this team.
    There is no guy to build around on this team.

But that doesn't mean that this team isn't treating him as such. Look at what BC has done to accomodate Andrea. Firing Smitch so he gets more minutes, hiring fellow country men as coaches and executives to help run the team, allow (forcing?) Jay to give him minutes even when he isn't playing well, getting the highest usage and minutes, looking for players to match with him (playing Reggie and trying to get Chandler), putting his face all over anything Raptors...

Yeah you and I may Joe around the corner may know he is not a franchise player, but the team is still trying to push him as such.

I for one do not think he is even close to being the best player on the team... rather one of the bigger liabilities on this team... but until this team starts treating him like the player he actually is (a scorer of the bench), rather than "the man" on the team, its not going anywhere.
    I don't really agree with you. Sam Mitchell is an asshole and a sh*tty coach. I don't care if he got COY.

Who's the fellow country man he hired as a coach? I can't think of him. Where did you hear that BC is making Triano play Bargs? That one is new to me.

I guess you can say Raps have been trying to add complimentary pieces to Bargs. But why wouldn't you when he's currently the best player. Even Bosh had more help than Bargs does now.
    Eh follow my TWITTER!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    How about we change the topic to do the Raptors current have a franchise player? Do they have one in training?
    No. And, no. A franchise player is: a) top 5 at his position; b) makes a material difference in wins/losses; c) makes everyone around him better; d) distorts the game; e) is the face of, and leader of, your team; f) does things only great players can do. The only franchise guy the Raps ever had was Carter when he was young and before he quit on the team. Bosh was really, really good but he never made other players better and he never made the Raptors a winner. McGrady... arguable, but certanly not when he was here. The current roster has no one who even comes close to being an All-Star, let alone an elite player, let alone a franchise cornerstone.

Post Thanks / Like

I'll never forget how he quit on the team and abandoned the fans and the city but I'll also never forget this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_ma-03aeIE

For the posters who started watching Raptor ball in the last 5 or 6 years, here is what the team's franchise player should be able to do.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Multipaul wrote: View Post
    I dont think we have one, and I dont think we NEED one.

We need a new coach, and we need to get rid of these scrubs: chucker weems, fouler turnover amir
    Wait a second... So, "The King" is dead? Did I somehow enter "Bizzaro-Raptors Republic"?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote slaw wrote: View Post
    No. And, no. A franchise player is: a) top 5 at his position; b) makes a material difference in wins/losses; c) makes everyone around him better; d) distorts the game; e) is the face of, and leader of, your team; f) does things only great players can do. The only franchise guy the Raps ever had was Carter when he was young and before he quit on the team. Bosh was really, really good but he never made other players better and he never made the Raptors a winner. McGrady... arguable, but certanly not when he was here. The current roster has no one who even comes close to being an All-Star, let alone an elite player, let alone a franchise cornerstone.
    My bad, I'm still waiting on my copy of "NBA Francise Players 101: The Air Tight Guide" to arrive the mail.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote slaw wrote: View Post
    I'll never forget how he quit on the team and abandoned the fans and the city but I'll also never forget this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_ma-03aeIE

For the posters who started watching Raptor ball in the last 5 or 6 years, here is what the team's franchise player should be able to do.
    Lol this is deja vu. I was just playing My player mode on nba 2k11 and i'm a PG for the raptors and they kept feeding me the ball and i hit around 7 3's against orlando shooting 100% from behind the arc. Too bad we played shit D and lost the game.

Raptors Republic Rookie goldenboy78's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

NO franchaise player yet on the Raptors, hopefully in this years draft.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote goldenboy78 wrote: View Post
    no franchaise player yet on the raptors, hopefully in this years draft.
    hopefully

Post Thanks / Like

NO franchaise player yet on the Raptors, hopefully in this years draft.
    My fingers are crossed for that to happen!

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

NO franchise player yet on the Raptors, hopefully in this years draft.
    Amen. We need to move up in this darft if we don't have #1 or #2 picks. BC has to make a move.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

We won't know who the next franchise player is until that player carries us deep into the playoffs and is noticeably an effective leader on and off the court. It could be DeMar in the future, but he has to develop that killer instinct and clutch factor.

Raptors Republic Rookie teoserio's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Multipaul wrote: View Post
    James Johnson!
    i'm with you
    Let's go Raptors!

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote multipaul wrote: View Post
    james johnson!
    yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Raptors Republic Superstar TheGloveinRapsUniform's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

The Franchise Player is who the team whats it to be. Heck, if they decide to make Alabi the franchise player, they can rebuild around him.

And thats how it is with Bargs now. Like it or not, he is the franchise player and if you dont think so, then you are not watching the games. Whether or not he is capable, he is the franchise player as of the moment. I personally dont agree. A franchise player should be able to win you games, through his hardwork, determination, vocal presence and of course, above average abilities. Im hoping Demar eventually turns into all these. He has the abilities, he has the drive, and hopefully he'll develop the voice and attitude. Nash is one of the nicest and soft spoken guys in the league but he commands respect. Hopefully Demar becomes just like that.

IMO, every team needs a franchise player. That Detroit Pistons team was Big Ben's team. They offered him the biggest money to extend his stay with the team, but he went to Chicago instead, but that gesture from the Pistons clearly stated that he is the focal point of their team. And who got the biggest contract right after Bosh left? I dont like Bargs as our franchise player but sadly, he is what we have right now.

Raptors Republic All-Star e2thed's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Raptors_ wrote: View Post
    Lol this is deja vu. I was just playing My player mode on nba 2k11 and i'm a PG for the raptors and they kept feeding me the ball and i hit around 7 3's against orlando shooting 100% from behind the arc. Too bad we played shit D and lost the game.
    lol thats what u get when Bargnani guards Dwight

Raptors Republic Starter Raptorsss's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Bargnani should be at best your 3rd best player. Right now he is their best player and the team sucks. Demar can be a franchise player but it will be at least another two years where he gets closer to his true potential. Jose should be no better than a teams 5th best player and statistically he is the teams 3rd best this year.

I had a little fun tracking the top 100 players in the eastern conference ranking them by their value added statistics (doesn't really include defense). The Raptors have 6 players in the top 100. In order Bargnani, Amir, Jose, Demar, Barbosa, Ed. Demar also has the worst PER of the top 50 players. Those aren't a top 6 on a great team so move them around and plug in the holes.
    -"You canít run from me. I mean, my heart donít bleed Kool-Aid."
    -"ďI ainít no diva! I donít have no blond hair, red hair. Iím Reggie Evans.Ē

Raptors Republic Superstar TheGloveinRapsUniform's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Raptorsss wrote: View Post
    Bargnani should be at best your 3rd best player. Right now he is their best player and the team sucks. Demar can be a franchise player but it will be at least another two years where he gets closer to his true potential. Jose should be no better than a teams 5th best player and statistically he is the teams 3rd best this year.

I had a little fun tracking the top 100 players in the eastern conference ranking them by their value added statistics (doesn't really include defense). The Raptors have 6 players in the top 100. In order Bargnani, Amir, Jose, Demar, Barbosa, Ed. Demar also has the worst PER of the top 50 players. Those aren't a top 6 on a great team so move them around and plug in the holes.
    I agree with Bargs being a 3rd option, i think he can even be a 2nd, but the team sucks because everyone sucks. From the players to the coaches to the trainers. No consistency, no stability. Each player may be good in their own right, but there's no cohesiveness and stability at the moment.

Im giving Demar next year to assert himself and at least make it known that he is or will soon be an all-star. Hopefully, the trainers do a better job on him, teach him the ways of defense and passing and not concentrate on his scoring skills.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information