• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maleko wrote: View Post
    Free agent targets in this scenario:
    SG: Aflallo (R)*, JR Smith (not sold here, talent but...), Shannon Brown*
    C: Tyson Chandler, Deandre Jordan (R)*, Marc Gasol (R)*
    *unlikely to leave current team
    JR Smith would thrive in D'Antoni's system but as you said, but.....

The argument could be made one head case on a team is healthy - it keeps everyone on their toes.

Comment

If D'antonification (man that was a pain in the butt to type) is happening, I would argue Barbosa is maybe past that and Bayless plays Barbosa in the new decade. Since Denver is Ty Lawson's team now, how about Barbosa for Felton? Could work for both teams.
      First pass including draft:
      Felton/Calderon/Bayless
      Derozan/FA/Weems?
      Draft pick*/JJ/Kleiza
      ED/Amir
      Bargnani/Ajinca
      Bench: Dorsey.
      *Barnes/D Williams.
      Then look at Bargs and/or Calderon trades for a draft pick + strong def. C and other backup PG (backup PG with the gained pick for this year or next - Myck Kabongo)

So second pass with trades being potentially:
      PG: Felton/B Knight (from 2nd draft pick)/Bayless
      SG: Derozan/FA/Bayless
      SF: Draft pick1/JJ/Kleiza
      PF: ED/Amir
      C: traded C/Ajinca (or serviceable backup FA/trade)
      Bench/Suit: Dorsey/Alabi/Weems.
      If Barbosa opted in, then a trade for him for Felton would be a good for both teams in my opinion - especially if JR Smith left. Streaky instant O replaced with streaky instant O.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
        If Barbosa opted in, then a trade for him for Felton would be a good for both teams in my opinion - especially if JR Smith left. Streaky instant O replaced with streaky instant O.
        My post appears lost, but I amended this as well to go for a T Chandler signing, and your proposed trade for Thompson and Garcia plus the pick adds Garcia to the backup SG (not ideal but fills the trade you set) and Thompson as the backup to Chandler. Solid at the 1, 4, and 5, growing and promising at the 3 and good at the 2 (with an upgrade needing to come at the backup).

Comment

My post appears lost, but I amended this as well to go for a T Chandler signing, and your proposed trade for Thompson and Garcia plus the pick adds Garcia to the backup SG (not ideal but fills the trade you set) and Thompson as the backup to Chandler. Solid at the 1, 4, and 5, growing and promising at the 3 and good at the 2 (with an upgrade needing to come at the backup).
          Personally, I'm not down with Tyson Chandler. Too much injury history and I always am suspect of players who magically heal for contract years. He is playing for his last big payday. Also, the Raps are a season or two more away from competing at which time he'll be in his 30's. As hard as it is to find athletic, defensive C's, I would probably look elsewhere. Now if he could be had for less than $9M per season, sign me up.

Comment

Personally, I'm not down with Tyson Chandler. Too much injury history and I always am suspect of players who magically heal for contract years. He is playing for his last big payday. Also, the Raps are a season or two more away from competing at which time he'll be in his 30's. As hard as it is to find athletic, defensive C's, I would probably look elsewhere. Now if he could be had for less than $9M per season, sign me up.
            I like cheaper too. How about a short 2-3yr contract to buy time for Thompson/kanter/valenciunas?

Comment

I like cheaper too. How about a short 2-3yr contract to buy time for Thompson/kanter/valenciunas?
              I'd be all for it. But one had to remember Haywood was given 6 years and $60M last year. Big men get paid, like it or not. Someone will offer Tyson big money.

Comment

I'd be all for it. But one had to remember Haywood was given 6 years and $60M last year. Big men get paid, like it or not. Someone will offer Tyson big money.
                I really don't get it with Haywood. The guy is 31 and signs 6yrs. Cuban has a history of overpaying for moderate big men (Dampier as an ex.) with long contracts.

Comment

I'm going to take another stab at the D'Antonification Process for the Raptors. When the thread was started I thought Bargnani being traded would never be whispered. Obviously that has changed - whether the rumours are true or not remain to be seen.

Keep in mind, I am not expecting this roster to compete for any championships. Playoffs are probably not a possibility either but that is why they play the games.

1) Trade Bargnani to Utah in 3 team deal.
                  http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMa...radeId=4adp4em

UTA: Bargnani
                  DEN: Millsap
                  TOR: Felton and 1st round pick from Nuggets

2) Trade Calderon and Bayless in three team deal with MIN and SAC.
                  http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMa...radeId=5vkx2zg

SAC: Bayless
                  MIN: Calderon
                  TOR: Garcia, Tolliver, Flynn

3) Draft Valanciunas (TOR pick) and Honeycutt/Singleton/Faried (DEN pick)

4) Sign as a FA Daequan Cook

5) Re-Sign Ajinca (I think he would flourish with D'Antoni same with Tolliver)

6) If Kleiza can yield an injury exemption, sign James Jones if PF drafted with DEN pick or Dorsey if SF selected to non-guaranteed deal.

D'Antoni's Toronto Raptors: (how many of you just cringed? lol)

PG: Felton, Flynn
                  SG: DD, Barbosa, Cook
                  SF: Johnson, Garcia, (Den pick*/injury exemption**), (Kleiza)***
                  PF: Davis, Amir, (Den pick*/injury exemption**)
                  C: Tolliver, Valanciunas, Ajinca

* Honeycutt, Singleton for SF and Faried at PF
                  ** James Jones at SF and Dorsey at PF
                  ***He is out until at least December

The key to D'Antoni's offense is having 4 guys on the floor who can shoot the 3 at any time. The starting line up has that with DD the only one unable to knock it down at an acceptable rate. James Johnson was able to shoot the three at 32.6% (15-46) in his rookie year and a summer of working on his jumper, I don't see why that wouldn't be able to happen again (I know it is a small sample). Also Marion only shot 30-32% from 3 under D'Antoni. The bench would also have capable 3 point shooters in Flynn, Barbosa, Cook, Ajinca, and possible draft pick/injury exemption.

Defensively and on the boards, can things get any worse than they are now? PPG allowed might be worse but I think defensive rating (points allowed per 100 possessions) would be much better as we are currently dead last - 30th.

This team is not a finished product and would most likely not make the playoffs but with only around $50M in salary next year and around high $30's the year after, a strong draft pick (which won't be hard in a supposed deep draft) and some cash to spend could have this team in the playoffs after one more season.

Comment

I :heart: this thread.
                    “I have no idea who Chukwudiebere Maduabum is, but on his Draft Express profile, he’s listed as Chu Chu. I think he’s worthy of picking just for that. He immediately is in the running for best All-Time NBA name.” -Tim W.

Comment

I'm going to take another stab at the D'Antonification Process for the Raptors. When the thread was started I thought Bargnani being traded would never be whispered. Obviously that has changed - whether the rumours are true or not remain to be seen.

Keep in mind, I am not expecting this roster to compete for any championships. Playoffs are probably not a possibility either but that is why they play the games.

1) Trade Bargnani to Utah in 3 team deal.
                      http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMa...radeId=4adp4em

UTA: Bargnani
                      DEN: Millsap
                      TOR: Felton and 1st round pick from Nuggets

2) Trade Calderon and Bayless in three team deal with MIN and SAC.
                      http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMa...radeId=5vkx2zg

SAC: Bayless
                      MIN: Calderon
                      TOR: Garcia, Tolliver, Flynn

3) Draft Valanciunas (TOR pick) and Honeycutt/Singleton/Faried (DEN pick)

4) Sign as a FA Daequan Cook

5) Re-Sign Ajinca (I think he would flourish with D'Antoni same with Tolliver)

6) If Kleiza can yield an injury exemption, sign James Jones if PF drafted with DEN pick or Dorsey if SF selected to non-guaranteed deal.

D'Antoni's Toronto Raptors: (how many of you just cringed? lol)

PG: Felton, Flynn
                      SG: DD, Barbosa, Cook
                      SF: Johnson, Garcia, (Den pick*/injury exemption**), (Kleiza)***
                      PF: Davis, Amir, (Den pick*/injury exemption**)
                      C: Tolliver, Valanciunas, Ajinca

* Honeycutt, Singleton for SF and Faried at PF
                      ** James Jones at SF and Dorsey at PF
                      ***He is out until at least December

The key to D'Antoni's offense is having 4 guys on the floor who can shoot the 3 at any time. The starting line up has that with DD the only one unable to knock it down at an acceptable rate. James Johnson was able to shoot the three at 32.6% (15-46) in his rookie year and a summer of working on his jumper, I don't see why that wouldn't be able to happen again (I know it is a small sample). Also Marion only shot 30-32% from 3 under D'Antoni. The bench would also have capable 3 point shooters in Flynn, Barbosa, Cook, Ajinca, and possible draft pick/injury exemption.

Defensively and on the boards, can things get any worse than they are now? PPG allowed might be worse but I think defensive rating (points allowed per 100 possessions) would be much better as we are currently dead last - 30th.

This team is not a finished product and would most likely not make the playoffs but with only around $50M in salary next year and around high $30's the year after, a strong draft pick (which won't be hard in a supposed deep draft) and some cash to spend could have this team in the playoffs after one more season.
                      Matt, I don't know what training or course you need to go through to become an NBA GM, but you should definitely have a go at it.

Comment

JoePanini wrote: View Post
                        Matt, I don't know what training or course you need to go through to become an NBA GM, but you should definitely have a go at it.
                        Thanks, Joe. I wish. What a dream job.

Comment

Thanks, Joe. I wish. What a dream job.
                          Hey, if you're a son of a millionaire who owns the Warriors you could have a ticket to the NBA :P

Comment

Working...
                          X