Jack/Calderon Combo-Do You Like It?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jack/Calderon Combo-Do You Like It?

What do you guys think of Triano putting Jack and Caldy together in the backcourt at the same time? I know I hate it! I really see no obvious reason as to why Triano would have them both on the floor, other than to give them both the mins they expect. All season it has been glaringly obvious that having them on the floor together just doesn't work! I mean, other than that 3 min stretch to end the 1st half last night, I can't remember another time when it helped.

Look how beautifully it worked having Ocho come off the bench and play with the 2nd unit. Having them together along with Turk, is absolutely redundant! Not to mention their D takes a big hit. The Raps were up 16 with around 7:30 to play in the 4th (after two trey's by Bargs facilitated by Ocho). Triano decides to bring in JJ as well and it's all downhill from there.
    Yes
    0.00%
    No
    75.00%
    Only for certain matchups AND for a short period!
    25.00%
    Last edited by .40 Cal Flakes; Thu Jan 7, 2010, 04:16 PM.

I like it as much as I like a hole in the head.

Some reasons why I don't like it:

- Takes DeRozan out of the game.
    - Calderon's slashing game is non-existent, he doesn't move without the ball enough to be a threat.
    - Means both guards are 6'3" meaning we give up more on D.
    - Ball gets stuck on the perimeter since we have "too many ball-handlers" (yes, there is such a thing, I know Triano love it but I don't get why).
    - Turns Calderon into a spot-up shooter and believe it or not, he hasn't been great at it.
    - Takes some of the edge out of Jack because he doesn't know whether to defer to Jose or not.

Comment

Please tell me this a rhetorical thread.

It is a horrible idea, especially with Turk at the 3.

The only reason I can think of that this lineup even exists is to keep both Jack and Calderon happy. Triano is just hoping it works out so that he doesn't have to deal with benching one of them at the end of games.

Comment

@ Arsenalist

Yup. I gotta agree with you on all points. I loved Caldy's play last night-except when he was in with JJ. Caldy simply does not move well without the ball, period-which makes that lineup ineffective on O. A lot of times he was just waiting for the ball to come back to him. There wasn't enough ball movement in the 4th.

Triano needs to have only 1 of those guys on the floor at any given time, depending on matchups and who is playing well. I don't like the idea of having them both out, just to satisfy mins, which imo is the only reason that is being done.

Comment

verbatim wrote: View Post
          Please tell me this a rhetorical thread.

It is a horrible idea, especially with Turk at the 3.

The only reason I can think of that this lineup even exists is to keep both Jack and Calderon happy. Triano is just hoping it works out so that he doesn't have to deal with benching one of them at the end of games.
          Triano needs to get some balls and make that choice as to who is going to finish games. It won't be easy, but it's his to make!

Comment

The entire world saw why Cleveland lost to Orlando in 5 games last spring, they had two midget PG and SG (D-West and Mo-Will) that were out sized by Rafer and Mikael Pietrus and the Magic took full advantage of that. The entire league is now looking into that strategy and using it when ever is represented. When Triano throws those two PGs in, the Raps are telling the league that we have the most vulnerable backcourt in the NBA now. When you show that to Stan Van Gundy, it is like already knowing what the lion's favorite food is, tying it on your genitals and jumping into the lion's den, doesn't that defy common sense?

Comment

I'd sooner have both of them on the bench than out on the court together.

Comment

I hate it. They're too small together and like you say, Calderon doesn't move without the ball. I wish we could keep Wright in there to finish games off with either Jack or Calderon, but we all know he's a "chucker"(takes a lot of bad shots, although he played well yesterday). Triano has to figure something out... I still like having both of these guys though, and trading one would be a mistake in my opinion. Let's keep the lineup going as is and see what happens, I think they're starting to gel.

Caldy? Are we gonna start calling him Caldy? Really?

Comment

It SUCKED in preseason and its sucked every time JT has used it since!

I believe I'm past 6 blogs describing just how much I despise this line-up!
                  The best Raptors discussion board is at Raptors Republic.

Stephen Brotherston, Pro Bball Report

Comment

I hate it. TJ and Jose worked because Jose can play 2 guard. Jack not so much. So it's just a waste of space on the floor because Jose is a better play maker. If Jack is out there it should just be to give Jose some rest and change things up a bit. There's no reason why Jack should handle the ball if Jose is on the floor. I hope we see Jose back in the starting line up.

Comment

Mal wrote: View Post
                      I hate it. TJ and Jose worked because Jose can play 2 guard. Jack not so much. So it's just a waste of space on the floor because Jose is a better play maker. If Jack is out there it should just be to give Jose some rest and change things up a bit. There's no reason why Jack should handle the ball if Jose is on the floor. I hope we see Jose back in the starting line up.
                      Wow...I gotta say, I think you got that backwards brotha. IMO JJ can play some 2 on this roster , while Ocho can't/shouldn't. Yes, Ocho is a better spot up shooter than Jack (but not by a great deal). But Ocho is terrible at moving without the ball, a skill that is needed to be an effective two guard. I haven't really noticed improvement with that from Ocho since he has returned. Also Jose gets blown by the quicker, bigger two guards. That combo should not happen-but if it does I agree with you that Jose should be at point handling the ball.

Comment

Working...
                      X