Bargnani Trade Idea Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Apollo wrote: View Post
    I think if Mayo came here one of two scenario's would play out. Either DeMar would switch to the 3 or Mayo would play the point. Mayo has a great handle and has been working on his PG play. Mayo is far more effective when he starts. I think his rhythm is a lot better.

Arthur plays PF and center. He's a good all round player. Like I said, him being in the deal would be about maximizing the value in the deal. You move him later if need be. The team isn't a couple pieces away from a title or anything and so they can afford to do such things.

His issues are in the past. He's been very mature this year. The way he's handled the mid-season botched trade fiasco has been great. He's obviously not in their long term plans now. There isn't enough ball to go around between him Randolph and Gay. The fact that they have Xavier Henry, Sam Young and Tony Allen on roster probably has a lot to do with him being on the block. All three of those guys blend in and complement their two high powered forwards better.

If this deal went through the Raptors would be asking Mayo to be a play maker and so I think he would thrive again. Ed and Amir in the paint are very limited. They're not game changers on offense. DeMar has a growing inside game but no outside shot and limited handle. Mayo would be the perfect offensive replacement to Bargnani.
    Good to hear. I'll back this deal if it becomes the best choice we have.
    “I have no idea who Chukwudiebere Maduabum is, but on his Draft Express profile, he’s listed as Chu Chu. I think he’s worthy of picking just for that. He immediately is in the running for best All-Time NBA name.” -Tim W.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
      http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMa...radeId=4b45k79

Utah: Bargnani and DEN 1st round pick
      Toronto: Felton
      Denver: Millsap

Utah gets a big man to spread the floor for Jefferson while Favors develops plus 1st another first round pick as they continue to rebuild.

Toronto gets a scoring/passing/defensive PG.

Denver gets a PF. After this season, they only have Al Harrington on the books at the PF.
      I don't really understand all the love that Felton is getting from Raptor fans these days. He's really only had half a year of really above average play over his entire career. Yes, the style of play they had in Charlotte certainly didn't suit him, but by the time he was traded from New York, he had pretty much come down to earth after a couple of months of All-Star level play. Unless the Raptors are getting a true top tier PG, I'd rather just stick with Calderon, quite frankly.
      Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
      Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
        I don't really understand all the love that Felton is getting from Raptor fans these days. He's really only had half a year of really above average play over his entire career. Yes, the style of play they had in Charlotte certainly didn't suit him, but by the time he was traded from New York, he had pretty much come down to earth after a couple of months of All-Star level play. Unless the Raptors are getting a true top tier PG, I'd rather just stick with Calderon, quite frankly.
        I take the other side on Calderon. Much rather have Felton as he has a smaller contract, similar offensive production, and much better defense. Felton also is an UFA after next year so if they draft a PG or he will not sign an extension, they'll have quite a bit of cap space at a time when current young players could be maturing and improvement might have been shown in the team overall, in other words, Toronto might not be the toxic waste dump it currently is perceived to be.

As for his coming back down to earth that is a fair statement. Two issues I think contributed were:

1) the trade rumours really started including him in hte middle of January and that is when his production declined until the beginning of February. Could be an excuse but the game by game stats would verify the theory as did an article or two I recall at the time.

2) he played ridiculous minutes for D'Antoni at the PG position which is probably the hardest in his system. Toney Douglas started the season well, then did not play well, and D'Antoni benched him. There were numerous articles written at the time about Felton playing too much and NYK looking for a back up - the one mentioned the most and seemed the most credible was Luke Ridnour to NYK for Anthony.

Comment

Bargnani to Houston

Im not sure how the BYC's work, but could a deal like this be done?

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMa...radeId=49aoz6l

We get a PF to fill bargnani, better defender but worse on offense as well as a back up sg(or starter if DD moves to sf) that is still young and has lots of potentail

If a trade is possible could we add filler and get their draft pick?
          We could get someone like Freddette or Faried (depends on the mock draft you like at both are around there) depending who we use our first pick on
          Last edited by mcHAPPY; Tue Mar 29, 2011, 07:04 PM. Reason: Let people know where he is going

Comment

bballnut27 wrote: View Post

We get a PF to fill bargnani, better defender but worse on offense as well as a back up sg(or starter if DD moves to sf) that is still young and has lots of potentail

We could get someone like Freddette or Faried (depends on the mock draft you like at both are around there) depending who we use our first pick on
            With 2 PF's already in ED and Amir, I'm not digging this.

If you click on the link to your trade and then put the cursor over the BYC in Scola's and/or Bargnani's box, it explains BYC.

Comment

bballnut27 wrote: View Post

That trade would probably work during the summer, once Bargnani's contract ceases to be BYC, but there is no way that Houston does a deal like that. Scola is such an important part of their team that I could not see them even doing a Scola for Bargs deal.
              http://twitter.com/m_shantz

Comment

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMa...radeId=4zcf56w

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMa...radeId=4m4t2eh

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMa...radeId=4m6gl7g

I know the Felton angle has been discussed at length here, but you cant tell me that having one of the better defensive point guards in the league and a past top 5 lottery pick would be a bad thing for this team. Its a point guards league after all and it is our inability to guard the 1 that tends to be the vocal point of our defensive struggles (and if you think bayless will take us to a championship keep dreaming, a great backup but nothing more).

Varejo is self explanatory, trading a top 15 scorer in Bargs for a top 10 post defender/hustler..reminds me of when the raptors valued the intangible players (oak) that championship teams require (see noah, bynum, perkins)

And the Steph Curry trade is a pipe dream but I wonder if GS would be willing to part with their undersized backcourt and unload a terrible contract in Biedrins for Bargnani (it would however give them a David Lee/Bargs frontcourt which would be the worst pairing of defenders in history).

Oh and im a long time reader of the forums, first time poster. 23 m from Halifax who was brought up in the Tabak days of Rob Black.

Thanks!

Comment

Bargnani to UTA in 4 team deal (Denver, Minnesota, Utah, Toronto)

There is rumour Jefferson might be dealt. I think it started in this speculation came from this interview with Kevin O'Connor where he doesn't specifically say Jefferson is part of the core moving forward:

Core of the team moving forward; Gordon Hayward and Derrick Favors:

Yeah. What I think is, again, we're going to have to put it all back together again going into next season. Devin Harris is, to me, a very good point guard. And I think Raja would say this to you: He probably didn't have the kind of season he wanted to have. Defensively, he's done a good job. Hopefully he'll bounce back next year with that, as far as that goes. The only guy that's significant that plays that we don't have back next year is Andrei. We've got a couple draft picks, and I think it's a matter of evaluating in the offseason. It's their responsibility, too, as players to get better. Look, Al's [26]. He's coming into the prime of his career hopefully. He needs to get better. We need to do a better job managing. I need to do a better job, Ty needs to do a better job. The Miller family has given us everything we've asked for. So, it's our responsibility and it's right on us. It starts with me and it works all the way down to the coaches, to the players, to the people trying to keep them healthy, everybody. Everybody's involved with this and everybody's got to do it and we'll be judged accordingly. Our report card is public.
                  Source

I'm posting a few trades with Jefferson included and Utah is the landing spot for Bargnani in most. A front court of Millsap, Favours, and Bargnani could be very interesting. I watched the 1st half of Lakers versus Nuggets and they did have Millsap at the SF. Favours looks like he might be a beast sooner rather than later - he is already a defensive presence albeit a foul prone one.

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMa...radeId=3en8z5r

UTA: Bargnani, Webster
                  DEN: Jefferson, Bayless, Alabi
                  MIN: Calderon
                  TOR: Felton, Flynn, Tolliver, Mosgov

UTA: A young, defensive minded presence in Favors and Millsap at the SF may help cover Bargnani's inabilities on D while providing space for them on O. A young back up wing with much upside who expires after next year. Saves them a few million in salary and luxury tax.

DEN: Nene and Jefferson would be a tough cover in the post. Bayless backs up Lawson and is an expiring contract after next year. Alabi belongs with Ujiri. Trade leaves DEN with $32.5M in salary with a roster of Lawson, Bayless, Jefferson, Harrington, Gallinari, Anderson, and Koufos under contract. Nene, Afflalo, and Chandler could all be resigned.

MIN: Calderon makes so much sense with Babcock, Martin, Rubio, MIN's need for veterans, and his abilities combined with current system/roster. They are getting an NBA starter for a back up PG, SF, C who all play sparingly.

TOR: Felton is an overall upgrade over Calderon with a much better contract (1 year at $7.5M). Flynn is younger and arguably a better PG (when healthy) than Bayless. If Felton left after 1 year, Flynn could step in as starter or another PG drafted. Tolliver is a good shooter and has shown to be an adequate rebounder. Mosgov is a big young C, a true 7 footer on a reasonable contract.

Comment

Bargnani to Utah in three team deal (Minnesota, Utah, Toronto)

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMa...radeId=3nff8nb *

Utah: Bargnani
                    Minnesota: Calderon
                    Toronto: Jefferson, Flynn, Tolliver
                    * if Toronto drafts a PG, send Bayless to Utah or keep Bayless and send Flynn to Utah.

Utah: Bargnani, Favours, Millsap - need I say more except saving serious cash on luxury tax this year and future savings from Jefferson's deal. Deal would save them $5M in luxury tax this year and take off $6M from salary cap number for next 2 years.

Minnesota: Calderon makes so much sense with Babcock, Martin, Rubio, MIN's need for veterans, and his abilities combined with current system/roster. They are getting an NBA starter for a back up PG and C who play sparingly.

Toronto: 20-10 from Jefferson is almost a given. Concern with Al is he has played on some pretty bad teams before Utah this year - who internally disintegrated mid-season. However he is 20-10, gets a couple of blocks a game, is not a great defender but is All-NBA compared to Bargnani, and is as sure of a thing in the low post as you'll get in the league. His contract runs for 2 more years and is pretty high, just shy of franchise player money. I think I'd rather his contract than Calderon's though. He is only 26 and is finally starting to look like the player before the ACL tear. Davis and Jefferson with Amir off the bench is a nice traditional 3 big-man rotation - Tolliver is a big man who can stretch the floor as well as rebound. This rotation will not create the mismatches that Bargnani does though. Flynn, if healthy, can still be a good NBA PG in my opinion. He has shown enough to warrant the optimism.

Comment

I like the first trade, but i do not see Milsap as a 3, so that will not solve the 4/5 logjam they have. I would do it if we manage to draft Harrison Barnes, or Derrick Williams.

Comment

dballa21 wrote: View Post
                        I like the first trade, but i do not see Milsap as a 3, so that will not solve the 4/5 logjam they have. I would do it if we manage to draft Harrison Barnes, or Derrick Williams.
                        It appears the Jazz are possibly going to try that though. A summer of working on his jumper and some agility/foot speed training could make an interesting case. This would be similar to the ideas I had of Josh Smith, ED, and Bargnani in TOR.

Comment

Bargnani to Utah in 4 team deal (Toronto, Utah, Minnesota, Atlanta)

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMa...radeId=443hoqk

Atlanta: Jefferson, Ellington
                          Utah: Bargnani, Flynn
                          Toronto: Smith, Tolliver, Pachulia

Atlanta: gets a C to pair with Horford and a young 2 guard to replace Crawford.

Utah: Bargnani, Favors, Millsap and back up PG in Flynn who could one day start when Harris expires.

Minnesota: if you don't know by now, you will never know.

Toronto: Solid front court of Davis, Amir, Tolliver, and Zaza. I honestly feel Pachulia could be like Gortat - give him an opportunity and he will shine - he is a skilled bruiser. Smith would play SF which is where he seems to want to play but is unable to in ATL as both he and Horford are undersized at PF and C respectively.

Comment

Utah: Bargnani, Favors, Millsap and back up PG in Flynn who could one day start when Harris expires.

Toronto: Solid front court of Davis, Amir, Tolliver, and Zaza. I honestly feel Pachulia could be like Gortat - give him an opportunity and he will shine - he is a skilled bruiser. Smith would play SF which is where he seems to want to play but is unable to in ATL as both he and Horford are undersized at PF and C respectively.
                            I like the idea of this one, Smith and Johnson as the 1-2 at the 3 (no I didn't plan to say it that way), with Kleiza situational would be nice. Not sold on Tolliver, but not walking out the store either. Pachulia is intriguing. Triano would HAVE to be gone in this scenario though as he would start Amir and ED every game and one of them (Amir?) would be a pancake 20 games in. Would definitely require drafting a PG this year. That and throw in my other trade of Barbosa/Alabi for Felton?

UTA: Bargnani, Webster
                            DEN: Jefferson, Bayless, Alabi
                            MIN: Calderon
                            TOR: Felton, Flynn, Tolliver, Mosgov
                            Mosgov is the intriguing one here, (already sold on Felton), Flynn sure as a backup, but seems like we will help Minny more than us shipping him out of there. Would be good is this is with Barnes/Williams drafted, (including DWilliams since his suspect defense at the 3 will be hidden with Felton/Mosgov/Davis.)

* if Toronto drafts a PG, send Bayless to Utah or keep Bayless and send Flynn to Utah.
                            I like this somewhat, but really iffy on Jefferson's D, especially coupled with his contract. We still need 2 pieces in this scenario (PG and SF) and arguable as to which one more as there are solid backups at each, but no sure fire starter (with a potential in JJ).

Overall in these scenarios I would go with the first one with the addition of acquiring Felton.
                            Last edited by Maleko; Sun Apr 3, 2011, 08:10 PM.

Comment

Respectfully, absolutely positively NO!

Jefferson's defense is better than Bargnani's and that's about the best compliment I can give it. If the idea is to change the atmosphere of the team and focus more on defense, which I assume it is, then you can't get a guy like Jefferson. And I don't see Flynn as anything more than a mediocre PG and stopgap solution.
                              Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                              Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

THis, I like. Especially if the Raptors can get either a center or PG (or both) in the draft. One thing about Smith, though, is he seems to need a firm hand. He had stopped chucking up so many threes, and then this year, started again.
                                Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Working...
                                X